Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bank Con?
mookaloid

posted on 1/11/05 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Bank Con?

I got this today - must be a con

Dear Customer,

Your address on our records is not valid. We have sent confirmation to your e-mail address for your protection. we kindly ask you to follow the reference given below to change your address on our records If you have any queries about this please call our Online Helpdesk on 08000 43 69 31.

http://hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/pib-home/login/confirm

At HSBC, we use industry standard security technology and practices, focusing on three key areas – privacy, technology and identification to safeguard your account from any unauthorised access. The administration asks you to accept our apologies for the inconvience caused and expresses gratitude for cooperation. If you have any queries about this please call our Online Helpdesk on 08000 43 69 31.

Yours faithfully,

HSBC Internet Banking Technical Support

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It came with a proper Logo and appears to be from HSBC Internet Banking Technical Support [techsupport@hsbc.co.uk]

B*****ds

donut

posted on 1/11/05 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
I get stuff like that quite alot. Ignore it.

The best is ebay and paypal saying that they have suspended my account and i must re enter my details (including bank) so i go to ebay and paypal and all is well. Trouble is the emails look authentic and when you click the link it goes to a web page that has the proper address in the browser address field. Dunno how they do it but they are clever.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyd

posted on 1/11/05 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Get a contact email (a real one that is!) for the bank and forward the email onto them. At most they'll probably reiterate their policy of never asking their customers for that type of information but they may like to take it further. Emails can be traced however they eventually arrive in your inbox. If they are using someone elses mail server to route that mail then that person/company should be informed of a hole in their security arrangements.

Andy

John Watts

posted on 1/11/05 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Barclays always say look for https at the start of the URL and a padlock symbol at the bottom of the window. That way you know it's secure.

That could probably be spoofed as well but it's another indicator to a con.

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.