jack trolley

posted on 4/11/05 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Cool Volvo

Phwoarrrrrrr!

donut

posted on 4/11/05 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Wooooah..NICE!!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 4/11/05 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly won't pass an SVA - no mudguards
Volvorsport

posted on 4/11/05 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
yeah i seen that around , its not really mid engined tho either , i thought about that route , but i would prefer a proper mid engine .

you guys might one day come round to the idea that volvo cars , will become a suitable donor

still impressive - and that engine will go to about 700 hp with a decent set of rods/pistons , get rid of the pesky twin turbos etc .

watch this space

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Jasper

posted on 5/11/05 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Your right about the Volvo engines, I was very tempted.

I do think most people stick to the 'regular' engines like Pinto, Zetec, Vauxhalls etc etc, and then spend loads tuning them, when there's so much power available so cheaply using other engines.

So far I've spent around £1600 on my engine, but that includes new plugs,race oil, filter, clutch, and swanky japanses boost controller, for an engine and gearbox that's just 5 years old with 50k of fully dealer service history on the clock. It will be around 260-280bhp of unstressed reliable Jap power without having to do anything to the inside of the engine at all. I think you would be very hard pushed to get that kind of power to £ ratio from one of the 'regular' engines.

[Edited on 5/11/05 by Jasper]

donut

posted on 5/11/05 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
When are you estimating finishing your car jasper? Can't wait for a trip out!!!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 5/11/05 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
It's all going very well, but will grind to a halt once the building work starts at Christmas, then I've got a kitchen to build and most of the ground floor to decorate before I can start on the car again. If I get it finished by the end of the summer I'll be happy....
Jeffers_S13

posted on 16/11/05 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
What Nissan engine are you using ?
NS Dev

posted on 16/11/05 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
yeah i seen that around , its not really mid engined tho either , i thought about that route , but i would prefer a proper mid engine .

you guys might one day come round to the idea that volvo cars , will become a suitable donor

still impressive - and that engine will go to about 700 hp with a decent set of rods/pistons , get rid of the pesky twin turbos etc .

watch this space

Believe me, I have nothing against any Volvo bits! I will use anything as long as it is convenient and fits in with what I am trying to achieve.

The volvo engine grasser is still not ruled out!!!

Volvorsport

posted on 16/11/05 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
well heres the bottom end i been working on - custom drilled oil squirters , and 1/2 NPT oil return drain from the turbo

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.slater133/redblock.JPG

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.slater133/camcover.JPG

thats supposed to be crinkle coat , i took that after id sprayed it

and if you missed it , this is the effect

http://www.webbvideo.com/hedberg-production/740_teaser_byhedberg.mpg

[Edited on 16/11/05 by Volvorsport]

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

Alan B

posted on 16/11/05 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
yeah i seen that around , its not really mid engined tho either ............

?

It looks it to me...engine behind driver, but ahead of the rear wheels....or did I not see it correctly?

Volvorsport

posted on 16/11/05 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
well its a transverse engine , not really mid engined - but i know what ya mean

id like to drive it to see how it handled !

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

NS Dev

posted on 16/11/05 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
well heres the bottom end i been working on - custom drilled oil squirters , and 1/2 NPT oil return drain from the turbo

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.slater133/redblock.JPG

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.slater133/camcover.JPG

thats supposed to be crinkle coat , i took that after id sprayed it

and if you missed it , this is the effect

http://www.webbvideo.com/hedberg-production/740_teaser_byhedberg.mpg

[Edited on 16/11/05 by Volvorsport]

CLUCKING BELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lost for words!!!!!!!!!!

Alan B

posted on 16/11/05 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
well its a transverse engine , not really mid engined - but i know what ya mean

id like to drive it to see how it handled !

Of course it's really mid-engined......just like the Elise, MR2, Noble, Muira, 308 etc.....transverse agreed, but still behind the driver and ahead of the rear wheels, therefore mid-engined.......I doubt we'll agree though so I guess we'd better agree to disagree.....

shortie

posted on 16/11/05 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
yep, mid-engined, same as Elise
Volvorsport

posted on 16/11/05 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm , i have a doubting thomas , at the back of my head concerning mid engine , and rear engine , which most of those are .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

Alan B

posted on 16/11/05 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
hmmm , i have a doubting thomas , at the back of my head concerning mid engine , and rear engine , which most of those are .

Rear engined means engine behind the rear axle line. Mid means behind the driver but between the axles...
Not neccessarily close to the centre of the car as such, just forward of the rear axle line.
It's all about engine placement relative to the driver and the axle lines...nothing more, certainly not about weight distribution as such, as most seven type cars are closer to 50/50.

zilspeed

posted on 16/11/05 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'll disagree with both of you here

Mid engined merely means having the engine between the axles. Aston Martin are quite happy with this definition as well, and they classify the V8 Vantage as being front/mid engined. Elises et al are still mid engined - no doubt about it.

I don't see what's tricky about all of this.....

tadltd

posted on 16/11/05 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
I have to agree with Volvosport on this one. Elise et al are rear engined as far as I'm concerned.

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

NS Dev

posted on 16/11/05 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I was a doubting thomas until we built the mid engined (transverse engine just in front of the rear axle line) rally car (vauxhall nova featured in ccc mag a few years ago)

The weight balance was spot on, 50 something % rear, 40 something front (54/46 I think???)

It handled extremely well once we finished developing it, but then it's driver seemed to like going off in it and rolling it so reprepping it got a bit tedious!

NS Dev

posted on 16/11/05 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tadltd
I have to agree with Volvosport on this one. Elise et al are rear engined as far as I'm concerned.

as far as I know it's regarded as "transverse mid engined" in the automotive world.

Longitudinal mid with engine in front of box is "longitudinal front mid engined" and the same with the engine the other way round and the gearbox in front (a la 6r4 etc) is longitudinal rear-mid engined)

incidentally, with many modern (light) engines, the "conventional" mid engined layout of gearbox at the back, engine in front of it, is actually much more rear biased than the transverse mid engined layout as used by the elise!

NS Dev

posted on 16/11/05 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Incidentally again!

Transverse rear engined is the same layout but with the centre of mass of the engine placed behind the rear axle line.

Many autograssers use this layout, it makes for awesome traction off the startline, awesome wheelies out of every corner, and with a locked diff, impossible steering in the pits!!!

I looked last year at doing this by machining the casing on a Vauxhall FWD gearbox, and removing the diff. Replace the pinion on the end of the layshaft (which normally drives the crownwheel direct so opposite rotation direction) with a borg-warner silent chain sprocket, and then silent chain drive a spool "diff".

That way you can turn the engine around, place it transversely behind the axle line and still have the rotation the right way!!

Too much work though and rule changes were mooted regarding centres of mass and wheelies!

Mark Allanson

posted on 16/11/05 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tadltd

How do you describe the difference between a Stuttgart Beetle and an Elise? Rear engined and very rear engined? Or rear engined and just plain silly! (Hard hat on, running for cover!)

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

andygtt

posted on 16/11/05 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think there is a proper definition for this.....

For me they mean:-
front engined is engine in front of driver no exceptions.
Rear engine is engine behind or between rear wheels.
Mid engine is behind driver but in front of rear wheels.

Regarding cars with engine in front of driver and also behind the front wheels..... well if these are re-classified as mid engined then almost all Locosts would surelly become mid engined car.

My R1 powered indy has its engine miles behind the front wheels!
And almost every dedicated drag car or even race car ever conceived would be classed as mid engined!!!!

I think we need to look at motorsport rule books to get a real definition.

Andy

please redefine your limits.

NS Dev

posted on 16/11/05 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
no we don't, they have the same arguments!!!!!!!!!

see my posts further up, these are based on motorsport experience and scrutineering opinons..................................we had lots of discussions regarding various cars that I have been involved with/built.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.