Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Preparing the beast...
bigandy

posted on 4/12/05 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Preparing the beast...

Evening all.

I was wondeirng if anyone had any tips they would care to share regarding the first starting of an engine that has been stood for a good while.

Basically, I have had a 4a-ge engine sat on a trolley in the garage for the last 18 months, and the time for it to be cleaned up and installed is fast approaching. Is there anything to be aware of/check before attempting to start it?

Obviously, I'll check the oil, coolant, plugs, leads and probably change the cam belt etc, but anything else?

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

bigbriglasgow

posted on 4/12/05 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
it you touched the timing/cam belt then turn it over by hand just to check you not messed up!!!

Cheers

Brian

coz its a bit of an animal

rusty nuts

posted on 4/12/05 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Check any tensioners and guide pulleys for wear/noise when changing the timing belt. Try priming the oil pump if possible to help get oil pressure up quickly . Oh and keep your fingers crossed.
omega 24 v6

posted on 4/12/05 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Remove the plugs and ign source and spin it over on the starter to circulate oil around it.
bigandy

posted on 4/12/05 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
I've not touched teh timing belt.... yet! I'll make a conscious effort not to muck up the timing though!

Priming the oil pump. That sounds like a good idea! Is there an easy way to do that? Or is it just a case of turning the engine over with the plugs out (as mentioned)....
Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

wilkingj

posted on 4/12/05 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
DONT rev the nuts off it once its started... things could be a bit sticky / gummy after the enforced rest...

I would put a few drops of oil in each cylinder, and spin it over without the plugs in..
1. to lube the bores / rings
2. to get the oil circulating with out too much pressure (Physical force pressure) on the bearings etc.

Yes it may be difficult to start, and then smoke a bit

I also squirt a dose of Propange gas from the Bar-B-Q down the inlet manifold... Never fails to fire up on that.. ensure the carb is primed as well...

I have also squirted a bit of WD40 or simmilar down the inlet manifold to lube the valvestems... Watch it as it will fire up on WD40 etc.. as the cans are often filled with butane as a propellent.. and the oils will fire it up as well..
Have started Jet Skis on WD40 Alone!

Take care, and keep a Fire extinguisher handy just in case..
Finally Make sure its got some water in it and a rad, if you want to run it for more than a few seconds.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.