Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Delrin for bushes
Avoneer

posted on 5/12/05 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Delrin for bushes

Can you use delrin to make your own bushes?

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 5/12/05 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
As in wishbone things?.......why when they are so cheap and easy to get from MK, Mac#1 etc

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulf

posted on 5/12/05 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
It is to hard for wishbone bushes on a road car , but ideal for pedal bushes etc and very easy to machine to a nice finish..
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer

Pat...

Genesis

posted on 5/12/05 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
I always find 'seeds' are the best way to make bushes - depends what you want but Leyllandi is one to avoid

Going fishin'

andylancaster3000

posted on 5/12/05 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
We've just bought a load of molybdenum disulphide loaded nylon 66 from RS. (Not a chemist myself so please dont ask )
Although I believe that it has a little more 'give' than other forms of nylon with very good wear properties. Suitable for wishbones but not for axle or panhard applications as these must be compliant.

HTH
Andy.

andylancaster3000

posted on 5/12/05 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
I also believe that polybush companies such as Powerflex sell their bush material by the foot with instructions on how to machine the stuff. May be worth investigation...?
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 5/12/05 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
you have to put it in the freezer i think

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Avoneer

posted on 5/12/05 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
As in wishbone things?.......why when they are so cheap and easy to get from MK, Mac#1 etc

Yep, as in wishbone things.

Well, for my trailing arms actually as they have a funny sized eye and I think it would be cheaper to get some machined than have to buy some.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Peteff

posted on 6/12/05 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
Trailing arm bushes need to flex sideways a little bit, which is what delrin doesn't do, you need poly bushes which are a bit softer to absorb the stress and return to their original shape. PU is usually cast in rubber moulds, not machined I think due to it's characteristics like inability to conduct heat causing it to melt.

[Edited on 6/12/05 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

timmy

posted on 6/12/05 at 02:09 AM Reply With Quote
Delrin is too brittle for suspension bushes. Nylon is good for wishbone bushes, but you need to make sure everything is aligned because it has no give.
The MDS impregnated stuff would be ideal if a bit hard for road use (no worse than rose joints, though).
Polyurethane can be machined if you know what you're doing. Freezing would help, but I suspect liquid nitrogen would be better than just chucking it next to your frozen veg.....

HTH,

Tim

Syd Bridge

posted on 6/12/05 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer

Pat...

Yes, you can. But better to use Nylatron, or molydisulphide impregnated nylon66. Used all the time in racing, for all sorts of things.

It can only be used when movement is in a single plane, and the bush axes HAVE to be lined up perfectly.

This has all been said before, but as above, best to use polyurethane.

Syd.

big_wasa

posted on 6/12/05 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Is molydisulphide impregnated nylon66 the same as nylon66 ?

Have seen this for sale on ebay and its put ideas in my head ebay link good reason to do a bit on the lathe me thinks.

What grade of stainless steel do I want for the center bushes ?

regards

timmy

posted on 7/12/05 at 12:53 AM Reply With Quote
The difference is the MDS....

Nylon 66 is just the polymer. They add stuff to it to alter it's properties. That's where the MDS comes it.
If I can recall from my plastics days, the oil/lubricant impregnated nylons are generally a bit softer but slide much nicer (as you might expect).
Nylatron is just a brand name of a specific grade of nylon that has (i think) MDS in it.

andkilde

posted on 7/12/05 at 03:14 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be careful with Nylon as a suspension bush -- it swells when exposed to water. Plain nylon swells up to 10%, not sure about Nylatron.

PU is machinable, room temperature for 85a or above, frozen for softer. It requires tools with more rake than metal.

Cheers, Ted

DEAN C.

posted on 13/12/05 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,about 7 years ago I made Bushes in fairly large quantities which i sold through a local Land rover independant dealer.

These were mainly panhard bushes for heavy diesel conversions and V8 racing applications.

I always used Nylon 66,I also raced on these bushes finding that on the front panhard rod they improved the feel of the steering quite a lot,and I never heard of them swelling in any fluids.

You do need a steel inner bush though as a few we tried for racing (as an experiment before I sold them to customers)without and the bolt straight into the nylon, wore the bolts as well as the bush!

I found that a couple of thou oversize was enough to grip inside the rod end,leaving a slightly coarser finish to help grip as well.

If you are machining Nylon 66,as fast a speed as possible is needed,plenty of rake on your tip and water or parrafin is ok for coolant(i used plain water)not coolant!

[Edited on 13/12/05 by DEAN C.]

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

big_wasa

posted on 15/12/05 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Ta just what I wanted to know
chrisf

posted on 15/12/05 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
I used Delrin bushes and had them custom machined. They turned out nicely. I haven't driven with them, but hope they work well.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.