Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Who wants to go on a rally to MONGOLIA
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 13/12/05 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Who wants to go on a rally to MONGOLIA

http://www.mongolrally.co.uk/

Im having a hard look at this for next year.....Zilspeed we could just use one of your daily drivers!!!! Have a look at the cars.....sub 1000cc that is a cool idea. It also keeps costs down to a min.......
What do you think of this locost gumball......
ideas and cash to the usual address
Im certian we could get a LCB convoy to go.

]

[Edited on 13/12/05 by mangogrooveworkshop]

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 13/12/05 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
PMSL @ Delboy wagon!
greggors84

posted on 13/12/05 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
I am very interested in this too. After seeing the long way round series on TV and reading the book, I would love to do something like this.

Just need to find a co driver who is willing to get stuck in the middle of a desert with me.

The 2006 event leaves on my 22nd Birthday too! Great thing about being a student is i have the whole summer off. It doesnt look too expensive, if you get enough sponsorship you should be able to cover entry fee and flight home too.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Benzine

posted on 13/12/05 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Wow that looks amazing I really want to do it! Sub 1 litre? BEC anyone?

[Edited on 13/12/05 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
froggy

posted on 13/12/05 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
my tl engined kitten would fit in well with the other pigs
bigandy

posted on 13/12/05 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
One of the chaps I work with is planning for this event next year already. He's got permission from the CEO to take 6 weeks off work, he has permission from his partner to go, He's got a gang of 6 mates who also have permission to go etc.

He's looking at going in 3 citreon 2CVs (spilt between the six of them)....

I'm just jealous, and desperately trying to persuade SWMBO to let me go with them!

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

Benzine

posted on 13/12/05 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've been searching ebay all day Some ideas for 1 litre or lower cars:

(Click for link to ebay)
Peugeot Van
Suzuki 410 Jeep
Fiat Panda 4x4
Austin Metro
Diahatsu Hijet
Bedford Rascal motorhome
Fiat Uno
Nissan Figaro
Trabant
Daihatsu Charade Gtti

There must be so many more, can't think of any though. The more obscure the better Any ideas?

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 13/12/05 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
My SWIMBO said on you go !

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 14/12/05 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
video part 1 & 2

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1954685105966148823

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1077411775275866495&q=mongol

[Edited on 14-12-05 by mangogrooveworkshop]

Benzine

posted on 14/12/05 at 02:41 AM Reply With Quote
Cool, thanks

JamieG

posted on 14/12/05 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
I've stumbled across this before !, looks amazing -a bit of danger here and there , sounds like a good adventure to me!!
have really been considering going on this...

Jasper

posted on 15/12/05 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Smart Roadster would be the way to go.....
phelpsa

posted on 15/12/05 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have to be old enough to hold a valid international driving liscence if you arent driving?

Benzine

posted on 20/1/06 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
I am very interested in this too. After seeing the long way round series on TV and reading the book, I would love to do something like this.

Just need to find a co driver who is willing to get stuck in the middle of a desert with me.

The 2006 event leaves on my 22nd Birthday too! Great thing about being a student is i have the whole summer off. It doesnt look too expensive, if you get enough sponsorship you should be able to cover entry fee and flight home too.

Are you still interested in this? I'm going to the first meeting on Sunday

greggors84

posted on 21/1/06 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Unfourtunately its been put on hold for another year.

Was really busy in the build up to Christmas booking a skiing holiday for 20 people, and now have got to sort out LeMans for another 20 people and a few of us are going over to Germany for the worldcup straight after le mans.

Even though me booking the trips means i dont have to pay for them, Im still very short on money and if i was going i would rather have the car and most of the money sorted already.

The Indy is taking priority at the moment so it will be ready to take to france in June. Its my last year at Uni next year so would be a great start to my year out.

What car you planning on taking? and where is the meet?

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

zilspeed

posted on 22/1/06 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
http://www.mongolrally.co.uk/

Im having a hard look at this for next year.....Zilspeed we could just use one of your daily drivers!!!!

I've just spotted this thread. You cheeky b'stard !!

I'll have you know my fleet is in fine fettle just now. It keeps me busy though - (except the alfa which I haven't laid a spanner on yet, it just goes).

Benzine

posted on 23/1/06 at 01:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
What car you planning on taking? and where is the meet?

The meeting was today in London at the Fat Cat, it was just an informal meet and greet, quite good. I'm planning on taking something unique Everyone seems to take Fiat Pandas and 2CVs

indykid

posted on 23/1/06 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
can't think why??

can you imagine trying to get spares for a trabant in the middle of turkmenistan?

if you drive the same as them, chances are they'll be willing to lend you a part should you need one.

sometimes individuality isn't the best way! just don't want to see you stuck in the middle of a desert.
tom

Benzine

posted on 24/1/06 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
I know what you mean I've bought a car based on the running gear of many cars that will be going so I'll convoy up with them

James

posted on 24/1/06 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
After seeing the long way round series on TV and reading the book, I would love to do something like this.

Looks great fun.

As Greggors says, having read the Long Way Round book it'd be bloody tempting to go the rest of the way across Mongolia then ship the cars to the US and go across there too! So you could say you'd gone round the world!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

greggors84

posted on 25/1/06 at 02:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
sometimes individuality isn't the best way! just don't want to see you stuck in the middle of a desert.
tom

Isnt that the whole point?

Getting stuck in the middle of the desert and having to fashion a new crankshaft out of some old wood you find by the side of the road!

When I get round to doing it, it will be in a Mini, just for the adventure, as you know its going to break down, but it would be such fun, hooning along the dusty roads pretending your Paddy Hopkirk!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

James

posted on 25/1/06 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
I like the idea of the Bedford Rascal camper van that Benzine posted.

You get somewhere half decent to sleep then! Well, compared with the front seats of a Mini anyway!!!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

akumabito

posted on 27/1/06 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone in need of a co-driver?

1 liter class eh.. a Fiat Panda it shall have to be then. No competition, really. Lightweight, as reliable as they can get, and, most important, they cost next to nothing. I also know a ton of people in the Dutch Fiat Panda club, so lots of free goodies/parts!

Liam

posted on 1/2/06 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Incidentally, if you go to google video and type '6r4', 4 out of the 5 results are the footage taken by the 'mongol minors' of their 2005 adventure, which wasn't in a 6r4 by the way. Looks awesome and i'm increasingly feeling i was born to take part in this event! Would have to be a gorgeous 1.1 pug 205, having owned two of the beauties.

Liam

Benzine

posted on 18/5/06 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
I'm just filling in form after form at the moment. Visas are a PITA. Still will be worth it

Our website if anyone's bored:
http://www.driversofrohan.co.uk/

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.