Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Paypal accounts set up time.
bigandy

posted on 19/12/05 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Paypal accounts set up time.

morning folks.

I was wondeirng if anyone knew how long it takes for somebody to set up a new paypal account, and then pay somebody? I've sold an item to a bloke, and it is apparently going to take him around 5 days to set up the account before he can pay me.

Does this sound about right? It's been so long since I setup my paypal account!

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

JoelP

posted on 19/12/05 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
sounds right i think, unless im confusing it with the validation time... why not just ask for postal orders?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

zxrlocost

posted on 19/12/05 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
things like paypal and ebay and banks etc etc

are great when theres never a problem but as soon as theres a prob etc they couldnt organise jack shite

Im afraid his right mate

there is some ways he can verify it straight away but he needs so many proofs of ID etc

there taking up to a week

lets just hope hes honest but he is right in what hes saying

thanks chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

scotty g

posted on 19/12/05 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry about how long it takes, just don't post anything until payment has cleared and let the buyer know this.
Gav

posted on 19/12/05 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
When i set up mine it was instant, however they do limit the amount you can pay to people until your verify your account, IIRC it was £500
i used the phone option to verify mine which again was pretty much instant.

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 19/12/05 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah he's talkin out his arse! Set up straight away, limits you to £500 until you come verified

Phone option to verify your address takes 5mins

[Edited on 19-12-05 by zzrpowerd-locost]

zxrlocost

posted on 19/12/05 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
hes not talking out his arse some peoples accounts take up to a week to verify

some dont if theres a problem email him and tell him theres a phone way to verify his account not everyone is up on computers

you cant tar everyone with the fraudster or time waster brush

like I say give him the benefit of the doubt for a day or two but tell him about the phone option

chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

muzchap

posted on 19/12/05 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Chris.

I tried the phone option - it didn't ring - yet claimed it had!!!

They then posted something from America - WTF

It took ages.

But - he should have a 500 quid instant spending limit - so ask him why he isn't using this? :-)

But agree - you shouldn't mark as a scammer until you have more information - generalisations are far too easy.... generally LOL

Murray

bigandy

posted on 19/12/05 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi folks.

I've emailed to mention the phone verification option. I'm not too sure what the process for setting up an account is now, as I have had mine for ages.

I fund mine via a creidt card account, and I seem to remember having to wait for a transaction to appear on my statement, and I then had to use the reference number from that to verify something or other...

Anyway, I just thought it was a bit strange that it took so long to set up an account...

cheers
Andy

CairB

I think that the total amount that can be paid is limited to £500 before verifying the account.

I think that to remove this limit the verification requires a bank account to be set up as a funding source.
This is where you set up a direct debit on a bank account that Paypal can collect payments without any action from you.
This is likely to take time as they deposit a small amount then ask for confirmation of the amount.

AFAIK the phone confirmation of address of a credit card holder is not sufficient to lift the £500 limit.

Anyone know different?

jestre

quote:
Originally posted by Gav
When i set up mine it was instant, however they do limit the amount you can pay to people until your verify your account, IIRC it was £500
i used the phone option to verify mine which again was pretty much instant.

Same here. account setups are instant, bank transfer of funds may take 2-3 days though.

-=too much horsepower is just enough=-

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zxrlocost

posted on 19/12/05 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
so I think to sum it up some people manage an instant setup

some they mess around with and take there time this is what they did with my Mom shes an everyday person with a bank account etc but they wanted this and that! to sort account took about a week

bigandy

posted on 19/12/05 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've just been attempting to wade through the Paypal help files, and it seems that if I send a payemnt request to this bloke, he should be able to pay for the item, without needing a paypal account? from what I can gather it allows a creditcard to be used to pay my request, but doesn't require a paypal account...

has anyone used this before?

cheers
Andy

muzchap

posted on 19/12/05 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy,

I would be VERY careful of this approach - as he could contact his Credit Card company and just request the money back (chargeback)

Whereas at least if it's through PayPal there is the whole 'resolution' process to go through...

What amount are you talking about? If it's over a couple of hundred quid - I'd probably prefer to see the money or a cheque?

Cheers,

Murray

bigandy

posted on 19/12/05 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
It's only for £130.

I'm intrigued about this chargeback thing though. I guess it is aimed at protecting the credit card holder?

What would happen if the chargeback was used then? Would the money be removed from my paypal account? And if I had alread spent the money in my Paypal account, then what?

Cheers
Andy

zxrlocost

posted on 19/12/05 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
I think everyone should stop worrying so much!

just draw the money out straight away

ta chris

and get the item sent secure mail

Danozeman

posted on 19/12/05 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Mine took a few days to verify. They put 2 small amounts in my account and i had to use these amounts to put in as a security number. Took about 5 days.

I think it depends what type of account u draw funds from. ie current acc or credit card etc.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

andyd

posted on 19/12/05 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigandy
It's only for £130.

I'm intrigued about this chargeback thing though. I guess it is aimed at protecting the credit card holder?

What would happen if the chargeback was used then? Would the money be removed from my paypal account? And if I had alread spent the money in my Paypal account, then what?

Cheers
Andy

In a word yes. A mate of mine sold someone some trainers (sneakers if you're one of our US cousins! ) and after a while the geezer he sold 'em to said he didn't receive 'em. Paypal not only gave the bloke his money but automatically took that amount from my mate's account without asking. It was only £10 but Paypal said that it's in their terms/conditions to be able to do this. I've not read 'em but I think even if you had no funds in the account. they'd still be able to take back money and put you in the red as it were. Not fair but defo something to consider especially for larger amounts that you're not willing to just write off.

Andy

zxrlocost

posted on 19/12/05 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
yes so you get it sent through special mail with a receipt for that amount

and you claim from the post office

chris

muzchap

posted on 20/12/05 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
zxrlocost

is correct - accept payment and send the item to the address listed via paypal.

Do not send elsewhere - then you are covered by the Distant Selling Regulations and can refute any such chargeback...

As long as you have proof you sent the goods for 'consideration' (money) - then legally you are exempt from any further problems - especially as this is:

caveat emptor (let the buyer beware)

which is applicable for all sales of secondhand goods.

Please double check with someone though - I am wasted on Vodka - in a Russian Banya in Moscow and just had a 3-some with 2 girls :-)

Polny Piez Dietz Blyad= russian for the situattion is completely fucked up ;-)

Spasibo = thanks

Murray

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.