Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Land Rover Rear Lights/Indicators
RichieC

posted on 2/1/06 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Land Rover Rear Lights/Indicators

Anyone have any photos?

Just wondering how these look on a kit. Toying with the idea providing they dont look too "agricultural". Does silicone in the screw holes keep mr sva happy or is the sharp radius of the hole a complete no-no?

Thanks
Richie

rayward

posted on 2/1/06 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Had them on myold car...

car4
car4

Ray

RichieC

posted on 2/1/06 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ray, they look pretty smart

Anyone any advice re SVA?
Just realised the Land Rover rear fog doesnt match. Would there be anything to stop you using another stop/tail with the correct wattage bulb or are fog lamp lenses different (sorry for my ignorance)
Also, where can you get SVA proof reflectors which arent huge

Rgds

Rich

[Edited on 2/1/06 by RichieC]

andyharding

posted on 2/1/06 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichieC
Thanks Ray, they look pretty smart

Anyone any advice re SVA?
Just realised the Land Rover rear fog doesnt match. Would there be anything to stop you using another stop/tail with the correct wattage bulb or are fog lamp lenses different (sorry for my ignorance)
Also, where can you get SVA proof reflectors which arent huge

Rgds

Rich

[Edited on 2/1/06 by RichieC]

Fog needs a reflector. Max brightness of a brake lamp is less than the min brightness of a fog lamp.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

RichieC

posted on 2/1/06 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Bummer for the reflector

Cheers
Rich

andyharding

posted on 2/1/06 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichieC
Bummer for the reflector

Cheers
Rich

Thinking about it might be wrong on the reflector. LED lamps don't have them.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

RichieC

posted on 2/1/06 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
It was news to me, but Ive no experience of it.

The brightness shouldnt really be an issue I wouldnt have thought.

Thanks

Rich

wilkingj

posted on 2/1/06 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Land Rover Lights:
http://www.paddockspares.com
http://www.paddockspares.com/shop/pages/series/electrics.htm
Indicators £2:89.

They also do a separate reflector for £1.45. Its about 3" x 1.5" I got them for my Lightweight Landy. Part No XFF100070
I dont know if they are SVA compliant. However, I dont think the reflector has to be part of the light unit. Otherwise, separate indicators / brake / side lights would not be legal either.
Check the SVA Manual first.

Cheap as chips

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichieC

posted on 2/1/06 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, indeed cheap as chips.

There is no requirement for the reflectors to be co located with the rear lights, their requirements are in the SVA manual but nothing tricky.

Thanks

Rich

caber

posted on 2/1/06 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Land rover side lights are as cheap because youhave to replace them on a rather too frequent basis!. They leak the lamps corrode into the sockets the screws corrode into the backplate so basically if one goes out you are as well replacing the whole thing rather than the bulb! The Paddocks ones are not quite the same pattern as the ones in the photo they are series type which is a bit more pointy.

They will look OK and may last a bit longer if you don't take the 7 out in the rain:-)

Caber

akumabito

posted on 3/1/06 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber
Land rover side lights are as cheap because youhave to replace them on a rather too frequent basis!. They leak the lamps corrode into the sockets the screws corrode into the backplate so basically if one goes out you are as well replacing the whole thing rather than the bulb! The Paddocks ones are not quite the same pattern as the ones in the photo they are series type which is a bit more pointy.

They will look OK and may last a bit longer if you don't take the 7 out in the rain:-)

Caber

??

We own a 1967 Land Rover Series IIa, which has seen plenty of offroad/agricultural use. We have given the ol' beast a complete body-off restauration. And guess what? We're still using the original lights all around because they were fine!

RichieC

posted on 3/1/06 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
OK, checked the SVA manual - no mention of the fog lamp requiring a reflector.

I dont see why a stop/tail with a brighter fog bulb in wouldnt suffice as a fog lamp.

Does anyone have any more photos or advice about the "sharp" bits for SVA to help make my mind up.

Thanks
RC

britishtrident

posted on 3/1/06 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
The fog light has to be "e" marked as compliant to the standard for rear foglights.
David Jenkins

posted on 3/1/06 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
The fog light has a distinct beam - that's why the SVA insists on it being mounted vertically. I've never seen a stop lamp that produces a proper beam.

David

RichieC

posted on 3/1/06 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Ah bum, I suppose the lens must have a different pattern.

Thanks

Rich

caber

posted on 3/1/06 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by akumabito
quote:
Originally posted by caber

Caber

??

We own a 1967 Land Rover Series IIa, which has seen plenty of offroad/agricultural use. We have given the ol' beast a complete body-off restauration. And guess what? We're still using the original lights all around because they were fine!

The lights on my 1966 Carawagon are original the front lights on my Series 3 have been replaced twice in the last 8 years the back ones I changed to military pattern screw ins which are great but expensive. Yer pays yer money. . . . . . . .
Caber

flak monkey

posted on 1/2/06 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Land Rover Lights:
http://www.paddockspares.com
http://www.paddockspares.com/shop/pages/series/electrics.htm
Indicators £2:89.

They also do a separate reflector for £1.45. Its about 3" x 1.5" I got them for my Lightweight Landy. Part No XFF100070
I dont know if they are SVA compliant. However, I dont think the reflector has to be part of the light unit. Otherwise, separate indicators / brake / side lights would not be legal either.
Check the SVA Manual first.

Cheap as chips

Just bought a set of rear lights from those people. Good service. Whole lot (except the fog light) came to £24 delivered.

All the lamps have an E mark on them, but it doesnt tally with the SVA manual for some reason (they are all marked E11), though in the case of rear stop/tail lights and idicators they are interested in the intensity which as long as its equivalent then they are OK, but the fog light must have the correct beam (its got all the right markings). The Landy lights are all Wipac branded.

David Rescued attachment Rear Lights.jpg
Rescued attachment Rear Lights.jpg

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

DarrenW

posted on 1/2/06 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly what i used.

Other suppliers are Britpart and Bearmach

RichieC

posted on 1/2/06 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
£24 - sheesh thats cheap. Think they look good on the black cars too.

Rgds

Rich

[Edited on 1/2/06 by RichieC]

DarrenW

posted on 1/2/06 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
This is what they look like on a dark blue car. Not a great pic. Also see avatar.

[Edited on 1/2/06 by DarrenW] Rescued attachment rear lights 1 may05 resized.jpg
Rescued attachment rear lights 1 may05 resized.jpg

kev R1

posted on 1/2/06 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
i work for paddock spares, take a look at the north american spec lights(N.A.S) i think they would look pretty cool on a kit car, if anyone needs some give us a shout should be able to get them a bit cheaper.kev
RichieC

posted on 1/2/06 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Kev,

Being a bit of a thicky, I cant find the NAS lights on the webby, do you have a link please?

Rgds

Richie

robinbastd

posted on 1/2/06 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
This chap has been selling these on Ebay recently. I think the latest listing has just ended,but he's relisted them in the past.

This is what you get for £19.99 + £6.99 P&P.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=100921&item=4607801187

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

Steve @ sVc

posted on 3/2/06 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
These lights are low cost, there are at least 5 makers of them - some not too good.
We sell the Land Rover type lights for £10 a pair inc. vat & bulbs.
We have had some fail SVA due to the sharpness of the edge of the screw holes, so we recommend silicon in the screw holes prior to SVA testing.
The rear fog must be "E" marked (E11 just tells us it was originally tested in the UK). and must have an "F" mark. Yes the rear fog is brighter than a brake light - this is achieved by using a reflector behind the bulb.
The rectangular Rear Fog used by Land Rover and Westfield(!) needs to have a "U" section around the back moulding as the edge does not pass SVA.

Steve @ sVc

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.