Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Garmin i3 & PDA SATNAV
Mr G

posted on 17/1/06 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Garmin i3 & PDA SATNAV

SOMERFIELDS/KWIK-SAVE are currently doing the Garmin i3 for £99.99

Full on satnav device (with uk maps installed) the i3 also allows you to give it a database of POI (points of interest) which is handy as there is a FREE regularly updated speedcamera database over at www.pocketgps.co.uk

Small and portable you can whip it in your pocket and carry it around not just for car use.

Secondly we have the Medion/Mio168/MM150 (All the same just different branding) PDA with inbuilt GPS reciever at £129.99

This is a full on Pocket PC - 300mhz processor 64mb Ram/32mb Rom/Infrared/SD-MMc Slot etc etc.

You flip the GPS antenna up at the back when you want to you use it for satnav.

Comes installed with its own map software and uk/ireland maps (on a 256mb SD card) but unfortunately does not let you load a speedcamera database. However as its roughly a minature pc you can download a program (IPWARNER) which you can then load with the database and have running in unison with the mapping software.

In reality its best to (cough) 'buy' TomTom Navigator 5 and install that

Can play mp3's,mpgs,divx's 3d games, running windows mobile 2003 etc etc.

Best anywhere else for the garmin is £140
Closest anywhere for the GPSPDA is £280

Cheers

G

[Edited on 18/1/06 by Mr G]

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

RazMan

posted on 18/1/06 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr G
In reality its best to (cough) 'buy' TomTom Navigator 5 and install that

I've got the Mio168 and was told (by Mio) that no other GPS software would run on it because of the firmware which is installed. I'd like to run my TomTom instead - much better IMO.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr G

posted on 18/1/06 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
People seem to be using it on the mio168. Maybe worth checking version numbers etc for compatibility

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=31322
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=34161
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=33924

Cheers

G

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

wacomuk

posted on 18/1/06 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
are both these for sale in SOMERFIELD ?
greggors84

posted on 18/1/06 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Halfords have been doing that small garmin GPS for £100 for a while now. Looks ok, it is very small though meaning the screen is a bit small to read sometimes.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

wacomuk

posted on 18/1/06 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
iv just been to my local somerfield and they have sold out
Mr G

posted on 18/1/06 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
Halfords have been doing that small garmin GPS for £100 for a while now. Looks ok, it is very small though meaning the screen is a bit small to read sometimes.

Funnily enough i've been keeping an eye on the price of it at Halfords as I've been waiting for it to drop to buy one.

£180 (Out of stock online)

HALFORDS GARMIN i3

wacomuk - Yup they are. If you don't have a Somerfield try Kwik-Save, same company and items/prices.

Cheers

G

[Edited on 18/1/06 by Mr G]

soggy

posted on 20/1/06 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
my wife uses a medion and as a sales rep she wondered how she ever coped before .nice bit of kit.

if at first u dont succeed use a bigger hammer!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.