Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vin plate
joolsmi16

posted on 19/1/06 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
vin plate

Hi all, anyone know of a website that will stamp a vin plate looking for a nice finish.
DarrenW

posted on 19/1/06 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
on mine i made my own main vin plate and welded to the chassis in a less than obvious place.

For the fancy one why not find a local trophy engravers and get one made. That can be fitted on scuttle.

Ive also gone made with a paint pen and wrote the chassis number all over the place. Some obvious, some less so.

Kissy

posted on 20/1/06 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
Make the plate from whatever material you want and get it engraved, you should be able to find one of these sports trophy suppliers who can do it - you may even get one who can take your artwork. Just check if they can do stainless if that's what you want, and that you pick a softer grade.
donut

posted on 20/1/06 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
I have been told (by DVLA) that it has to be stamped into he chassis but theres no reason to also have a plate i guess. I can't even make my chassis number up which is a pain.

[Edited on 20/1/06 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jos

posted on 20/1/06 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
The gauranteed way to stisfy inspectors is to get it stamped into the chassis. Next least likely to cause arguments is to have it engraved onto a plate and weld the plate to the chassis. Lastly and most contrversial (sp??) is to have the plate engraved and pop rivet it to the chassis.

I got mine done at Mr Minute/key cutters/shoe repairers and used the latter which did cause an argument with DVLA but got sorted to my satisfaction in the end.

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

caber

posted on 20/1/06 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Haqlfords are doing a rolson automatic number stamp kit at the moment. The main but is like an automatic centre punch and it has dies for letters and numbers about £10 I think. It mak not do cast iron but will certainly do thin steel or ally.

Caber

andyharding

posted on 20/1/06 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Having told me that I needed to weld a vin plate on the fecking DVLA retards now say that's no good and it needs to be stamped into the chassis. I said if I try to stamp box section it just squashes. Huh? When it actually comes to the inspection I'm going to come off as a nutter who might smash the place up if they don't co-operate and hope that does the trick

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Bob C

posted on 20/1/06 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I got a full set of number/letter punches on Macclesfield market for £13 a couple of months ago. Came in a nice wooden box. I hope they're big enough for SVA (characters are 6.6mm high)
cheers
Bob
PS to avoid tube squashing I'm going to stamp a seat belt nut holding plate - you just have to get a mate to hold a sledgehammer behind it as an 'anvil' when you stamp it to prevent damage

DarrenW

posted on 20/1/06 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyharding
Having told me that I needed to weld a vin plate on the fecking DVLA retards now say that's no good and it needs to be stamped into the chassis. I said if I try to stamp box section it just squashes. Huh? When it actually comes to the inspection I'm going to come off as a nutter who might smash the place up if they don't co-operate and hope that does the trick

Strange that, my local office said i couldnt rivet a plate on and agreed that my suggestion of welding a steel numbered plate onto chassis was a good idea. Passed build up inspection before SVA with no problems. Stockton DVLA have been fantastic.

Peteff

posted on 21/1/06 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Mine's on 16g plate tacked on the battery tray and also on the aluminium where it folds over the top rail. No problem there.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

tomblyth

posted on 22/1/06 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
vin plate

check this out!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Chassis-Plate-Lotus-7-inspired-cars-Locost-Birkin-Tiger_W0QQitemZ4606332568QQcategoryZ10076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

phillippe

posted on 22/1/06 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
vin

i went to the trophy shop £6 and it looks good
NS Dev

posted on 24/1/06 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joolsmi16
Hi all, anyone know of a website that will stamp a vin plate looking for a nice finish.

My mate Clive will engrave you a BEAUTIFUL one in black anodised aluminium engraved through to silver, he makes a SUPERB job of them.

here's a link to his website:

Custom Solutions

Not a VIN plate as he has no pics but another bit of his engraving for another customer:

You will NOT be disappointed with his work!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.