Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: carbs not sucking
Fishface

posted on 23/1/06 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
carbs not sucking

Still struggling with my engine running. It seems now I have one pair of carbs ok and one the dont seem to be working. The pair on the left suck and when i put my hand over them suck and then stall the car. The pair on the right do absolutely nothing. I took the jets out and blew them through, no sign of blockages. Any ideas. Im wondering now if it could be a problem with the aldon dizzy that i brought off ebay, but it seems stange that it fires 2 and not the four?
jambojeef

posted on 23/1/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought but is the linkage to the second set of carbs free and moving properly?

Geoff

02GF74

posted on 23/1/06 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
for carbs to suck, then need an oriofice to suck through. For example try sucking air trhough you mouth with your mouth closedd, you can't do it. the same will happen if the air passage to the carb is blocked and this is usually done by a throttle disc.

Have you checked the disc rotates and opens the passage? Is there anything else blocking the carb such as incorrectly fitted gaskets, unlikley....

Isthe engine in good condiotn i.e. the valves and cam lobes are working as they should?

rusty nuts

posted on 23/1/06 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you haven't got the second carb opening , slack or broken linkage or even missing ? you say one is sucking but not the other, in order to suck you need a vacuum, suggest a compression test as sticking/burnt valves could be a problem especially if engine history is unknown . check for blockage in inlet ports it wouldn't be the first time rags etc have been left in? Unlikely but possible and easy to check . What engine /carbs etc have you got ? may help with diagnosis. Have you a spark at the plugs for the cylinders that are not working? have you got an air leak into manifold ? could be missing servo connection bung or similar ? Check all the simple things first before condemming any thing . Should give you enough to be going on . HTH
rusty nuts

posted on 23/1/06 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Where abouts in Ely are you?
RazMan

posted on 23/1/06 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Are your valve clearances ok? If they are dramatically out then they might not even be opening - that would give you loss of 'suck'

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fishface

posted on 23/1/06 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the response guys. Im actually in downham market now.
The engine is a recon tuned engine from Lyndales in Peterborough so it should be ok. It does have second hand 40's which i was told were ok and the guy who sold them to me seemed honest enough etc.
My biggest worry was that I had a slight backfire from the carbs onto a petrol rag which i had to extinguish (what a prat) which left powder around the carbs. It all cleared up ok and even ran just as it had before. It wasnt until recently someone said it seems to be running on 3 cylinders and removed one of the leads without it making any difference before I relaised something was up. As it sits in my father in laws garage at the moment it a bit hard to get to it but this weekend when i looked it didnt even to be sucking through either of the carbs. However although it runs lumpy im surprised that its running on two I would of thought it just wouldnt turn over. It seemed easy building the car up but boy im certainly no mechanic. Could a faulty dizzy cause a problem? I brought an aldon dizzy and igniter of ebay which i noticed the copper bits under the cap seem coated in something or is this normal?

garyo

posted on 23/1/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
As some people have already suggested, the engine might only be running on three cylinders while it's idling. At idle the throttle butteryflys are *barely* open, so even a tiny misalignment between the two carbs could be causing the symptoms you're seeing. Have you tried turning the balance screen on the linkage between the two carbs? What happens?

Another problem that sometimes happens is people run the carbs without a throttle stop, and over the years all the stamping on the throttle causes the shaft to twist, causing the butterflys within the same carb to go out of alignment with each other. There's not too much you can do about this...

Gary

wment

posted on 24/1/06 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a good adjustment is in order. Both carbs should flow the excact same amount of air at idle, or anywhere through their range. I have use a device called a Uni-Syn to adjust car and motorcycle carbs. FI systems that have multiple throttle bodies need to be adjusted so they all flow the same amount of air. There are other devices you could use also.

[Edited on 1/24/2006 by wment]

Peteff

posted on 24/1/06 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Could a faulty dizzy cause a problem?

A faulty distributor cap always causes a problem. Replace it and the rotor arm at the same time.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.