Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Way OT : Arthritis
zilspeed

posted on 4/2/06 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Way OT : Arthritis

Ok - just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis - the type that everyone gets eventually - creaky knees, elbows etc.
Anyway, the doc gave me diclofenac (voltarol). Which were fine for a few days until the side effects kicked in ( let's just call them gastrointestinal and leave the rest to your imagination).
So they can shove them - no thanks.

A few people have advised me to try glucosamine which seems to do the trick. Anyone in a similar position got any advice they would like to give ?

jon_boy

posted on 4/2/06 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Omega 3 fish oil..my dad has that anyway
britishtrident

posted on 4/2/06 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Worth a try however -- I doubt glucosamine will work --- did nothing for my wear and tear arthritis however it did instantly greatly aleviate a frozen shoulder that had troubled me continuously for 15 years -- I mean instantly it kicked within 5 minutes after taking the first one and the pain came back if I stopped taking it -- however after a year I found I could stop taking it and the symptoms didn't return.

I also recommend you take high omega 3 fish oil --- and viatmin e -- both are pretty useful for all round heath anyway.

RazMan

posted on 4/2/06 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've got loads of creaks due to a dodgy spinal nerve which gives phantom pains everywhere. I had to stop taking Voltarol as it was affecting my heart (also dodgy) Omega 3 or maybe Omega 6 can only help your condition. I also take Glucosamine but as both of these are long term treatments it is hard to judge if they do any good yet.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
froggy

posted on 4/2/06 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
ive had voltarol for a while now and glucosamine which has definitely helped. i use voltarol only in short bursts and have regular maulings at the osteopath. a good investment is an mri scan if you can get one on the nhs great but private is 500quid but it showed exactly where my discs are worn and how far gone they are.
hasnt stopped me doing anything though you just learn to do things differently,like spraying ,now i have to use both hands on the gun

gary gsx

posted on 4/2/06 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I was on Voltarol when i hurt my back after a few day nowt down stairs worked so kicked them in to touch, my mum has osteoarthritis had it about 4yrs she takes omega 3 said it helps
Spyderman

posted on 4/2/06 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Try and avoid the Voltarol if you can. It has long term effects on your guts. There are other inflamatories you can use if you need them.
I use Glucosamine and Codliver oil and certainly notice a difference after about a week to 10 days of stopping either.
The Glucosamine is a cumulative thing so you won't notice if you miss it or stop it for a short while.

Zipvit
That is where I get mine from. Is very cheap for bulk buying and has the bonus of being on my doorstep.
I use the higher dose 1500mg tablets.

[Edited on 4/2/06 by Spyderman]

Spyderman

zilspeed

posted on 4/2/06 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
I think anything I can do that justs lets me get on with it will suit me fine.
I have organised a brickie to do the blockwork on the garage and I will be labouring to him - feeding him blocks and mortar - so I don't want anything to get in the way of that.

The voltarol did feel good for the first few days, but after that......
No thanks

Only been a day or so now on the Glucosamine, but I have to say I like the feeling of pain free joints with no side effects.

dave1888

posted on 4/2/06 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
I might try that glucosamine to see if will work my dodgy knees having spent most of my working life on them there getting a wee bit painful.
zilspeed

posted on 4/2/06 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
You'll get it anywhere - Tesco even. But thay're awfully expensive.

Good old ebay has loads but I'm still researching if there's anything you have to watch for.

Glan Noye

posted on 4/2/06 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same problem,Voltarol is no good for me either.I now have a prescription for Celebrex (celecoxib) .They work by reducing the amount of prostaglandins,which cause the pain and swelling.They do not reduce the protective prostaglandins in the stomach.I have been taking 100mg twice daily for about four years with no ill effects. Glan
Russ-Turner

posted on 4/2/06 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
You'll get it anywhere - Tesco even. But thay're awfully expensive.

www.healthydirect.co.uk

I used to punish my knees through running when I was younger. I'm on cod liver oil (also good for colds) glucosamine sulphate (yes there is evidence that this works, even backed up by my doctor), and omega 3 oil. All taken hassle free in capsule form. I also have a glucosamine gel which I mix with deep heat rub for my back but as I have recently doubled my glucosamine dose to assess the effects I haven't tried it yet.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 4/2/06 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Might be worth checking out Green Lipped mussel oil from your local alternative medicine suppliers , I haven't used it myself but a former work collegue swears by it . When the Cod liver oil stops working I'll give it a try . If I knew I was going to last this long I'd have taken better care of myself!
Spyderman

posted on 4/2/06 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think you will beat Zipvit for prices, but am not all knowing!
No connection just local, and a happy customer.
I have been using Glucosamine for a few years now and it has certainly made my knees feel less painful. It is certainly good for large joints.

Terry

[Edited on 4/2/06 by Spyderman]

Spyderman

craig1410

posted on 4/2/06 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know much about osteoarthritis but when it comes to Omega 3 oil I'd recommend you read up on Flax Seed Oil (aka Linseed Oil). From what I have read on the web and elsewhere it is the very best oil you can take and beats the more common cod liver oil any day. I'm no expert in such matters having only very recently started on a very low fat diet but there seems to be a wealth of opinion in its favour.

If you do want to try it then don't bother with the capsules because the dosage is too low and is poor value. Ideally get it from the likes of Holland and Barrett in liquid form (in a brown bottle to avoid UV exposure). It doesn't taste fishy, more nutty and although it doesn't taste great, you do get used to it. I quite often put it on my toast or mix it with my porridge, a 5ml spoonful twice a day.

Here is a link to H&B's website.

I hope this helps,
Craig.

[Edited on 4/2/2006 by craig1410]

RazMan

posted on 4/2/06 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spyderman
It is certainly good for large joints.

Didn't realise they sold those !! But then again, the properties of cannabis are apparently quite suprising when it comes to pain relief ........ so I'm told

Another good place to try is Goldshield

[Edited on 4-2-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Confused but excited.

posted on 4/2/06 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
My missus has arthritis from one end to the other so to speak and is disabled through it.( I only have it in my right big toe, my left little finger and my neck, go figure! )
What gives her the most relief at present is Power Gel rubbed gently onto the affected areas.
The best treatment, if you can find/afford it is accupuncture. She had amazing results for six months and then the body doing the treatment moved. No doubt to a more lucrative practice.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

marcyboy

posted on 4/2/06 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Ok - just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis - the type that everyone gets eventually - creaky knees, elbows etc.
Anyway, the doc gave me diclofenac (voltarol). Which were fine for a few days until the side effects kicked in ( let's just call them gastrointestinal and leave the rest to your imagination).
So they can shove them - no thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well lets hope their not using diclofenac too...
otherwise youve got no chance of getting them to stay in

Peteff

posted on 4/2/06 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
I have spondilosis and can't take the drugs for the same reason as you. I just live with it till it gets too bad then take some coproxamol he gave me, but you can't have a beer so I don't take it often.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

bob

posted on 4/2/06 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
i had the same thing with diclafenac by voltarol among other pills i've taken,food went through like a porche

try this

htpp://www.zipvit.co.uk

I'm on the glucosamine sulphate tablets 1500mg one a day,not long been taking them but was highly recomended.

You can ring for advice on the freephone number from the site,for me anything was worth a try as the sdie effects of the diclafenic were dreadfull including eyesight change and lower back pains as well as headaches and the extra bog roll i was going through

Rob Lane

posted on 4/2/06 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I changed form that to Preservex which is Aclecofenac. Been on them for 5 years now, take one at breakfast and no probs.

Only major problem is docs are reluctant to prescribe as they are expensive.

Originally on Indicid but that's old hat now. I'been on tabs for 12 years or so.

bob

posted on 4/2/06 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh so thats why my quack wouldnt give me a script for aclecofenac,i thought price might come into it.

JoelP

posted on 4/2/06 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
if you wanted a simple pain killer, its a relatively straight forward procedure to extract codin from OTC painkillers, just using a fridge and cold water. Obviously in this case you would be wise to research the process.

Best advice from the missus is to go back to the doctor and ask for an alternative.

zilspeed

posted on 4/2/06 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
It's really strange the amount of people who have come out of the woodwork here and said - "yep, me too".

Going to continue with the Glucosamine for a bit as it seems to do something positive and nothing negative (so far).

Rob Lane

posted on 4/2/06 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
For arthritis you really want an anti-inflammatry rather than a painkiller.
The pain is brought on by the inflamation so it's best to avoid it in the first place.

Painkillers

Don't go for codeine based. Opposite effect, constipation.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.