Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: engine
t.j.

posted on 6/2/06 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
engine

So we move on........

I'm using the 8V dohc of the sierra (yes i all know what you think)
I've made some room in the frame and made the drivercompartment 100 mm longer. Now i've dicided to place the engine 70 mm from the upper crossmember above the gear-box.

Why does nobody else place the engine as far as possible to the rear???

zilspeed

posted on 6/2/06 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Because they didn't think of it ?

When we put the zetec into the Sylva, we positioned the gearlever right where you would want it and fitted everything around that. It was well back against the bulkhead

Danozeman

posted on 6/2/06 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Iv just fitted my zetec as far back as i can. I had to cut the chassis about. The gear lever sits nicely infront of the handbrake just right for me to hold.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

JohnN

posted on 6/2/06 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've put my engine as far back as possible, to improve the weight distribution, approx. 15mm between the back of the engine and the entrance to the transmission tunnel. It also means that with the MT75 gearbox, the gearlever is placed in exactly the right place, no need for extension etc
t.j.

posted on 6/2/06 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnN
I've put my engine as far back as possible, to improve the weight distribution, approx. 15mm between the back of the engine and the entrance to the transmission tunnel. It also means that with the MT75 gearbox, the gearlever is placed in exactly the right place, no need for extension etc

Sounds nice,

Did you remove the rubber disc at the rear of the gear-box. or only added an UJ.

DarrenW

posted on 7/2/06 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
My Pinto sits well back in my engine bay, gear lever in excellent position, saved £70 on an extension kit as well. No need to mod rocker cover for oil filler position etc etc. (All std Mac#1 design).

studon

posted on 8/2/06 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a Zetec in my Avon.
It is mounted as per gearbox and prop dictates.

My car had a difference of 1kg from axle to axle with the SVA tester sat in the car. Which I was quite happy about (SVA tester even smiled about it!!)

Whether this was more luck than judgement I will let you decide
I know this adds no value to the initial question but hey we are not exactly talking about modified tintops where engine weight tends to be stuck over front wheels a. In a 7 type car this is not such an issue so is it really that critical to re-engineer for the sake of 70mm etc?

t.j.

posted on 8/2/06 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by studon
Ive got a Zetec in my Avon.
It is mounted as per gearbox and prop dictates.

My car had a difference of 1kg from axle to axle with the SVA tester sat in the car. Which I was quite happy about (SVA tester even smiled about it!!)

Whether this was more luck than judgement I will let you decide
I know this adds no value to the initial question but hey we are not exactly talking about modified tintops where engine weight tends to be stuck over front wheels a. In a 7 type car this is not such an issue so is it really that critical to re-engineer for the sake of 70mm etc?

It's not re-engineer but engineer.
I'm making my own 7 and i'm using the avon as input. Because i use the DOHC and a low bonnet i need some room. By placing the engine at 3,5 deg and further to the rear i don't have to make any holes in my bought alu-bonnet .

As i read an articel about the 7,5 i think all the small-things make the difference.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.