Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wonky wheels and things.
JoelP

posted on 13/2/06 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
wonky wheels and things.

been fiddling with the car. You may recall ive complained about bump steer on several occations, and other anomalies. I thought i try and sort it out bit by bit. First i took the gaitors off the rack. I knew the knuckles were too far apart (ie, the rack needed shortening), but heres a picture of how bad it is. Rescued attachment bumpsteer1.JPG
Rescued attachment bumpsteer1.JPG

JoelP

posted on 13/2/06 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
i reckon the rack want about 4" out the middle, fortunately ns dev made me a sierra quick rack that is the right length.

I jumped up and down on the front of the car and i could see the wheels pointing in and out, by about 10 degrees (around an inch at the front from extreme to extreme). Thats bad!

Checked the ride height, its sat with nearly 6" under the sump, so i dropped it an inch. This unfortunately makes the springs loose at full droop, i really need some shorter shocks, the spares i have have bushes too big to go into the old brackets. Two more pic. Rescued attachment drop1.JPG
Rescued attachment drop1.JPG

JoelP

posted on 13/2/06 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
and after. Pimped! Rescued attachment lowered.JPG
Rescued attachment lowered.JPG

JoelP

posted on 13/2/06 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
this one is just a photo on full droop, obviously it never saw this on the road/track but it shows how far out the wheels went! the front left wheel was just about square when it was level!

[Edited on 13/2/06 by JoelP] Rescued attachment fulldroop.JPG
Rescued attachment fulldroop.JPG

Dusty

posted on 13/2/06 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
You are addressing the rack width but need also to look at vertical location of the steering knuckles. Pic below is one way of finding a better location verticaly. (Fore and aft has minimal effect within reasonable limits) Rescued attachment suspgeo.jpg
Rescued attachment suspgeo.jpg

Avoneer

posted on 13/2/06 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
And then there's all that positive castor to sort.

IIRC, the top joint is in London and the bottom one in Scotland

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 13/2/06 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
lol i took it out after changing the height, the self-uncentering is still lethal! I need some more adjustable bones!
zilspeed

posted on 13/2/06 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Joel

I remember coming into the pits at Knockhill once and being told by someone that they could see the bump steer happening as the car went light after the compression in the track just before the start finish straight.
I have to say, I appreciate this more now than I ever did before. I've been having a right good look at a fisher fury recently, and the rack position is much more akin to what is suggested by the more learned (than me) posters above. In respect of both rack height and position longitudinally.
Anyway - you're making a good go if it all - well done.

JoelP

posted on 13/2/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
cheers zil the car deserves the attention, it sounds wonderful on song best thing i ever bought!

its looking like it getting rebodied at some time. Then maybe reengined too. Then perhaps retrimed, and to finish, refinshed

mookaloid

posted on 13/2/06 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like the front wing still needs refitting too

Cheers

Mark

JoelP

posted on 13/2/06 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
unsprung weight and all that

my luck they wont let me on track without it!

Lightning

posted on 13/2/06 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
6" under the sump? its a 4x4

Steve

NS Dev

posted on 14/2/06 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Joel, take it that the rack is ok?

If your springs are coming loose on full droop, there are a few alternatives.

Firstly are your springs too stiff? Sounds like they could be, but if not, you can get flat coil assister springs from various places (mine were from demon thieves for convenience in a hurry) and they are cheap enough and hold the springs on their platforms with a couple of lb pressure, I use em on the back of the grasser due to the light spring rates and large travel used.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

JoelP

posted on 16/2/06 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
that rack is beautiful nat, just got it on tonight! had a mild panic when the old comumn downlink wouldnt go back in, but managed to knock up a new one in a few hours! Added a new u/j in the middle, used a metal on metal 'bearing' to hold in in the right place, welded onto the engine mount. Bodge, me?

It turns well quick, just need a pair or rodends and some thread lock tomorrow, should be ready to roll for sunday!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.