Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Flatshifter
Wadders

posted on 21/2/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Flatshifter

Anyone have experience of these (Flatshifter not dash) do they work, any good? sounds good on paper and not too pricey.
http://www.flatshifter.com/

the_fbi

posted on 21/2/06 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
He sells them on eBay for even less, I was tempted, but need to get the car on the road first

http://cgi1.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8039058867

RichieC

posted on 21/2/06 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Changing gear without the clutch is not the same as using a quickshifter. If it was, nobody would bother with the expense of one.

If youve ever watched any bike racing from stockers up, youll note they use quickshifts. When you look at the distance per shift they save you on a track, a regular clutchless change doesnt come close; the human brain isnt as fast or as well co-ordinated (in some cases ) as a quickshift.

Now, how much use that would be on the road in a BEC is debatable, their abilities on track arent.

If I had the money, Id have one (DT and others even do a BEC specific one) and they sound superb.

Wadders

posted on 21/2/06 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
So youv'e no actual experience of it then?

Originally posted by CaLviNx
Hi

With a modern Bike engine once you are up and running, the clutch becomes almost redundant , a blip or roll off of throttle a bit and you can up or down shift clutchless and even better with the slipper clutches, and possibly for its use that systems not worth near £500.00 when if you do need a dab of clutch to change gear you can do it instinctivly and rapidly anyway, but as they say boys and their toys for bragging rights and all that

Wadders

posted on 21/2/06 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I never mentioned road use, although personally i would find the autoblip on downshifts very usefull in a bec, even on the road.

Originally posted by CaLviNx
Hi

Not that actual type of system my old R1 one had a Pro-shift on it and I personally didnt think it made much difference on the road, but as has been said on the track under race conditions where 100th's of seconds can win or lose a race they are a usefull tool, but for the road its a case of "mines bigger than yours"

Regards

RichieC

posted on 22/2/06 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Your talents must be wasted mate, those BSB and WSB riders obviously lack the skill too as they "need" one

Coose

posted on 22/2/06 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Mick Doohan (5 times GP500 world champ) could change gear manually as quickly as his quickshifter, proven by his telemetry. Spend your money on something useful!

quote:
Originally posted by RichieC
Changing gear without the clutch is not the same as using a quickshifter. If it was, nobody would bother with the expense of one.

If youve ever watched any bike racing from stockers up, youll note they use quickshifts. When you look at the distance per shift they save you on a track, a regular clutchless change doesnt come close; the human brain isnt as fast or as well co-ordinated (in some cases ) as a quickshift.

Now, how much use that would be on the road in a BEC is debatable, their abilities on track arent.

If I had the money, Id have one (DT and others even do a BEC specific one) and they sound superb.

Spin 'er off Well...

RichieC

posted on 22/2/06 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Im not going to get caught up in the debate. In Micks day, quickshifters were crude early era units. They have come a long way since then.

I didnt ask the original question, but, Ill say it again, they are [marginally] faster than changing manually and achieve more than you can do manually as they temporarily kill the spark between shifts, hence the noise and flames on occasion.

How much use that would be on a BEC and the inherent cost...........like I say, if I could justify that cost, Id have one

[Edited on 22/2/06 by RichieC]

smart51

posted on 22/2/06 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
If you have built your car for drag races then the 1/10 second that you'll save on each gear shift will give you better 0-60, 0-100 and standing 1/4 mile times. Even if you don't go to run-wot-you-brung races then you'll get the 0-60 bragging rights. Several hundred pounds on a gear shiter is probably cheaper than a turbo installation or NOS.

For road use, the only advantages are likely to be the fun factor and the simplicity of use.

Macca

posted on 22/2/06 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Have I read this right,£500 and you still have to change gears by hand!!
Does this kit just kill the ignition during the shift or does it do the shift for you?
If it does the shift how does it know when and which way to shift?
Col

[Edited on 22/2/06 by Macca]

smart51

posted on 22/2/06 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
It is an electronic system that blips the throttle / cuts the ingnition giving you fast gearshifts without having to operate the clutch or adjust the throttle.

For £500 I don't think you get telepathic operation.

[Edited on 22-2-2006 by smart51]

s b

posted on 3/3/06 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
flatshifter

fame at last !!! i have 2 friends with new gsxrs both fitted with flatshifters and they both swear by them (not at them) they had a side by side straight line sprint with one switched off and the difference was very impressive ,i have one fitted now to my caterham with a blackbird engine and it works exactly as described,part of it is not just the speed of changing gear but also tha tnot letting the throttle of means that the incoming fuel mixture does not slow down then have to speed up again when the throttle is snapped open again,also the downblipper lets you left foot brake coming into corners instead of pressing the clutch
s b

G.Man

posted on 4/3/06 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coose
Mick Doohan (5 times GP500 world champ) could change gear manually as quickly as his quickshifter, proven by his telemetry. Spend your money on something useful!

quote:
Originally posted by RichieC

Its not about the speed of the gearchange, many riders can change gear as fast, its about the loss of forward motion by backing off the throttle momentarily, and a four stroke engine has way different performance characteristics to a race 2 stroke that never comes out of its power band when ridden correctly...

A good flatsgifter WILL gain around 10-20 feet on the length of a straight over a normal shifter with anyone but a god behind the wheel of the non-flatshifter car... thats enough to pass 2 cars on a straight!

They are worth the money for racing or trackdays if you want the advantage...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.