Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: peugeot XU?
hexxi

posted on 28/2/06 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
peugeot XU?

Is there any way to use a PSA XU-series engine in a Locost? That means for example an engine from Peugeot 405 mi16 or Peugeot 205 gti plus many others. All the cars are FWD (or 4wd) and the engine is installed transversely.

Is there any gearbox from a RWD car to fit there engines?

In general, is there any standardisation in gearboxes at all, I mean the bellhousing dimension, clutch and the shaft connecting the gearbox to the clutch? For example many BMWs and rwd Opels have a getrag gearbox. Does it mean they are interchangeable?

eddymcclements

posted on 28/2/06 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at this thread

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=10651&page=1

Cheers,

Eddy

nick205

posted on 28/2/06 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
...and this thread

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=7848

nick205

posted on 28/2/06 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
...and this thread

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=32871

nick205

posted on 28/2/06 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
... and finally

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=2532

nick205

posted on 28/2/06 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I tthink the long and short of it is that it would be cracking engine to fit, but you'd probably spen a lot of time and money doing it when you could bung a Zetec, Duratec in relatively cheap and quick and be on the road driving.

....now for a mid-engined car it might be more practical

James

posted on 28/2/06 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Great engine according to the Puma boys:

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/pug16v.htm

I've no idea if it'd fit in. But getting an adaptor to fit a standard (Type9) gearbox to it shouldn't be that hard.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

nick205

posted on 28/2/06 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
not difficult, but not locost
NS Dev

posted on 28/2/06 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
very tall engine, as was said, ideal with it's std fwd box in a mid engined car.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

hexxi

posted on 28/2/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
I gues I have to forget the pug engine. I live in southern germany (still proudly of not being german myself) and I have never ever heard about or seen LDV pilot van before. Also Rovers are very rare here. Where to get ford cortina uprights? The last time I saw a ford cortina was 10 years ago!

With a luck some ford sierras can still be found somewhere

By the way, is the locost more difficult to built as LHD version? The book assumed that all the builders live in UK (or Japan).

James

posted on 28/2/06 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
not difficult, but not locost

Well, a bell-housing is around £150-200 so not the end of the world.

Personally I'd make an adapter myself out of a sheet of ali but not everyone likes to make everything themselves!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

NS Dev

posted on 28/2/06 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hexxi
I gues I have to forget the pug engine. I live in southern germany (still proudly of not being german myself) and I have never ever heard about or seen LDV pilot van before. Also Rovers are very rare here. Where to get ford cortina uprights? The last time I saw a ford cortina was 10 years ago!

With a luck some ford sierras can still be found somewhere

By the way, is the locost more difficult to built as LHD version? The book assumed that all the builders live in UK (or Japan).

No, just use a Left hand drive steering rack, most other bits will not be a problem. Exhaust manifold may need a little bit of thought but nothing more than a RHD car with a Pinto engine in it.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.