Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Adaptors for Sierra 4x4 uprights
Cheffy

posted on 12/3/03 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Adaptors for Sierra 4x4 uprights

I'm sure I read on here somewhere that the adaptor inserts (to take the Transit ball joint) for the Sierra 4x4 front uprights are a different size from other Sierra front uprights. Of course, I can't find a trace of it now!

Can someone please confirm?

Thanks,

Martin

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 12/3/03 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, the struts for a 4x4 are a bit thicker, so you need bigger inserts. MK told me once he'd happily do a one off - dunno about the price though.

Aint makin a 4WD, are you?

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Cheffy

posted on 12/3/03 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yup. Gonna have a go!

Martin

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

theconrodkid

posted on 13/3/03 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
Martin the brecky i owe you is going cold,ill be there sunday

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Cheffy

posted on 13/3/03 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
Hi John,

Hoping to get a Sunday off very soon now. Will be in touch as soon as I know when.

Cheers, Martin.

Cheffy

posted on 13/3/03 at 01:27 AM Reply With Quote
Did I dream it, or did Merlin used to make 4x4 inserts?

Martin

theconrodkid

posted on 13/3/03 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
probly a bad dream,ive got some ally bar you could use just need a lathe to make them in

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

ewanspence

posted on 13/3/03 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
I made them from the old strut

I'm doing a 4x4 and cut the bottom 4 inches from the strut, inverted it, welded a tapered tube (12mm long woth the transit taper) to the top and still have to add a couple of flanges for strength. Not ideal, but free and I will be fabrlicating the cycle wing brackets to hide most of it. You'll find some pic on my site www.fk2.co.uk.

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

Cheffy

posted on 13/3/03 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ewan,

Seriously thinking of going this route. How did you fabricate the tapered tube, particularly getting it tapered to the right angle?

Cheers,

Martin

ewanspence

posted on 14/3/03 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
I cheated.....and took the cheapest route.

I took a piece of tube I had lying around, cut it to 13mm long, cut a slot (wider at the one end than the other) along its length. Then using the taper, I clamped the cut tube to the taper using a pair of mole grips. Then welded up the slot.

I plan running a taper through it before final build just to make it a 100% fit, but at present it is a very snug fit.

I will also weld a couple of flanges to it when i do my final build to stregthen it

I am sure an engineering shop would make one for a few beers.

My idea is to make as much as I can myself rather than pay some esle to do it.

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

Cheffy

posted on 14/3/03 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ewan.

Not confident enough in my engineering skills to get the taper bit accurate enough. If I can get the local engineering shop to make up the taper bit for me I'll fabricate the rest myself from the old strut.

Cheers,

Martin

PerspexIt

posted on 17/3/03 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
A bit off topic but since this topic was already open, and i guess some of you know.. where i can buy adapters for the normal sierra uprights?

-P

kingr

posted on 17/3/03 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
lolocost and MK can supply inserts for regular sierra hubs. MK's look rather nicer but also more expensive IIRC. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Kingr

James

posted on 17/3/03 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
In know (as I have them) the MK ones (£20 each!!!) have the benefit of the taper being off-set which gives you the opportunity to change camber/castor.

Not sure if Lolocosts let you do that.

Also, the MK ones are case hardened- a lot I've seen are just mild steel- not sure if it matters or not.

HTH,

James

Cheffy

posted on 18/3/03 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Solution!!!

Right, finally cracked it!

Bought two inserts (for normal Sierra uprights) from Lolocost for £40 inc postage. Cut the old McPherson strut to required length. The insert goes about 10mm into the strut before sticking. If you put the strut in the oven (while the wifes out 'cos it stinks!) and put the insert in the freezer for about an hour, one good whack of a hammer does the job. Once it cools it aint goin' nowhere! I know 'cos I had to take it apart again. A run of weld around the top and job done.
One additional bonus of this is that, by definition, those of us going the 4x4 route are having to redesign our front end suspension set up. This allows us to set the height (within reason) of the transit ball joint above the upright to suit whatever wishbone configuration we are using.
Photo in archive, although not finished yet 'cos I want to do it at the last minute, once I'm sure everthing is is exactly how I want it. I'll post more pictures as I progress.

Cheers, Martin.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.