Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Removing locking wheel nuts
garyo

posted on 10/3/06 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Removing locking wheel nuts

This weekend I'm going to a friends to remove his locking wheel nuts for him - he's lost the key.

I'm not sure which variety of nuts they are yet. I've seen ones with external ridges being removed by hammering a socket over the top with a lump hammer - Noisy and ruins your socket(s) but it works.

Any other ideas? I think this is one of those jobs that could waste half of my saturday and go nowhere :-(

Gary

Howlor

posted on 10/3/06 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
What car is it?
JoelP

posted on 10/3/06 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
buy a professional locking wheel nut removal tool, and charge him. Most tyre shops will have one too, my local place charges £10 per wheel because the tool doesnt last long.
garyo

posted on 10/3/06 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
It's a Westfield. TSW Stealth alloys. Standard Cortina (front) / Sierra (rear) uprights, if I remember correctly.

I wasn't aware there was a tool out there. Perhaps I'll use this weekend to have a look at it then try to buy the right type of kit for the job.

Gary

Howlor

posted on 10/3/06 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
If it's the 3 offset pin types it is fairly easy to make a tool up with some pins welded onto an old socket.

Steve

iank

posted on 10/3/06 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
local tyre/exhaust place removed all 4 for £5 (beer money I believe as no till was involved ). Memo to self: don't buy another car without checking the key is present

Hammered a socket on, took about 2min for the lot.

Don't use your best set obviously Might be worth trying some molegrips if you can get them on, since they don't get put on with the air ratchet you might be lucky.

gazza285

posted on 10/3/06 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
I just hammer on an old socket of approximately the same size (a little smaller obviously) and undo the nuts. Never failed yet.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jon_boy

posted on 10/3/06 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
buy a cheap socket from halfords or homebase, the ones that near enough melt when you try a bit of force on em, and just hammer em on!
britishtrident

posted on 10/3/06 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Howlor
If it's the 3 offset pin types it is fairly easy to make a tool up with some pins welded onto an old socket.

Steve

You can do it without welding the pins on --- best to use the rollers from old needle roller bearings.

romer

posted on 10/3/06 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
This happened to me a number of years back with an old XR3I.
What I eventually did after trying many home made adaptors to try to undo them, was to go to a large car park with plenty of room. One wheel at a time slacken off the three ordinary nuts on the wheel and slowly drive around in a circle applying lock on and off to put varying side loads on the wheel. You'll be suprised how quick that one locking nut will then back of sufficiently enough to be removed using your fingers. DON'T FORGET TO TIGHTEN THE THREE LOOSE ORDINARY NUTS, then repeat the procedure for the remaining wheels.
Worked dead easy.

Let us know how you get on.

Romer

muzchap

posted on 10/3/06 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Romer - great idea

But - hammering a cheap socket on is just as effective and much more satisfying

Be sure to remove all the crappy little bits of tin they surround the nut with - hammering the socket on will usually reveal these - just use long nose pliers to remove them...

As everybody else said - best of luck

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

DorsetStrider

posted on 10/3/06 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
When i lost the key to mine I used an angle grinder to cut up and old socket until it fit. Worked like a dream even if it did take about an hour to fabricate.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

garyo

posted on 10/3/06 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys - some useful ideas in there. I'll report back after the weekend!
ProjectX

posted on 10/3/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I have just got over this same problem!

Machine mart. £18 for a set of reverse spiral nut removers. Wheel nuts gone! Have paid for themselves already as have removed all the other siezed/rusty/rounded and knackered nuts in seconds. Good luck tho

J

garyo

posted on 13/3/06 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Well, they're off. An 18mm socket and lump hammer did the trick. The socket doesn't seem to have suffered from the trauma either!

Cheers

Gary

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.