Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vortx RT+ vs Vortx RT & The Vortx RT Dash
EViS

posted on 25/3/06 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Vortx RT+ vs Vortx RT & The Vortx RT Dash

What is the difference between the RT and RT+?

What is NOT included in the RT Starter Kit or a Zetec donor vehicle which I will have to go source from somewhere else?

Is is not possible to fit a custom dash made out of MDF/leather-type upholstery?

Is a MNR Vortx RT considered to be more/less/about the same expensive to build as a Luego Velocity or MK Indy?

EDIT: I deleted the previous thread by mistake . Here was the only reply prior to deletion, sorry chockymonster .

-----------------------------------------------
chockymonster, posted on 25/3/06 at 15:51

The RT+ is about 30kg lighter than the RT, it uses cortina uprights instead of sierra which gives better geometry.
It also has inboard front suspension, fully rose jointed supsension, removable rear rose jointed brace to allow easy diff change and the GRP tunnel cover as standard.

As for the list of other stuff if you're using a zetec you'll need a rear diff and driveshafts, sierra or cortina uprights and brakes. Fuel tank, pedal box bits, lights, wiring loom, propshaft, switches + other bits I haven't considered yet!!

As for the dash, it's integral in the bodywork.
Marc says that £5,500 will build you an RT.

I had the same quandry when deciding which one to go for, Marc was totally honest about the differences and went through the pros and cons for what I wanted to do. He said that the RT could be 3 seconds or so a lap slower around a circuit than the RT+.

Bear in mind that the chassis is totally customisable, Chris thinks that only 3 or 4 of the cars built so far have the same base kit as it's all customisable.

[Edited on 25/3/06 by EViS]

chockymonster

posted on 25/3/06 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
I was wondering where that had gone!

I was going to suggest popping up to see them, but like me you're in the wrong part of the country for most of the kit makers.

5 hour drive to harrogate isn't pleasant! I'm not looking forward to the drive back with the kit

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Krismc

posted on 25/3/06 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Well i went for the Rt plus and im glad i did its a well put together piece of kit....... oh will be if i ever get it done!!!

quote:
What is NOT included in the RT Starter Kit or a Zetec donor vehicle which I will have to go source from somewhere else?

well im doing a zetec doner version and so far the list is as follows!

Engine £200, Omex ecu, throttle bodies £1800, raceleada hubs £850, sierra LSD diff 4x4 rear beam and gear box £100, £120 re brake refurb, seats £400, steering setup and handbrake £40

plus all the stuff not in the kit but available from mnr like wiring loom, carbon upgrades, fuel tank lights etc came to nearly another £1000

all in all im bout £8-10k for finishing project if that helps

oh and i visited 3 other kit manufactures and the MNR is far superior in current design and they dont charge extra for stuff that should be done but isnt from other places like powder coating!

quote:
removable rear rose jointed brace to allow easy diff
where or what???

[Edited on 25/3/06 by Krismc]

[Edited on 25/3/06 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

chockymonster

posted on 25/3/06 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krismc
quote:
where or what???

I dunno! my kit hasn't been made yet but it's part of the specs on MNR's site

quote:

Dedicated Car Engine And Bike Engine Chassis
Fully Rosejointed Independant Suspension All Round.
Chassis Constructed From Round Section 16 & 18 Guage Tubing.
Lighter And Stiffer Construction
Triangulated And Braced Front And Rear Floor Pans
Additional Rear Bulkead And Diff Area Triangulation
Additional Front Bulkead And Foot Area Triangulation
T45 Rear Roll Hoop With Diagonal And Stays ( optional full cage )
Fully Integrated Rear Chassis Section For Improved Fuel Tank Protection, With Crushable Rear Structure To Absorb Rear Impacts.
Easily Removable Rosejointed Rear Strut Brace, To Enable Quick Differential Change.
Side Bracing For Greater Protection In Side Impacts
Easily Adjustable Front And Rear Tracking.
Easily Adjustable Front And Rear Camber.
Easily Adjustable Front And Rear Castor.
Easily Adjustable Front And Rear Stagger.
Floor Mounted Pedal Box With Brake Balance Adjuster.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
EViS

posted on 25/3/06 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
well im doing a zetec doner version and so far the list is as follows!

Engine £200, Omex ecu, throttle bodies £1800, raceleada hubs £850, sierra LSD diff 4x4 rear beam and gear box £100, £120 re brake refurb, seats £400, steering setup and handbrake £40

plus all the stuff not in the kit but available from mnr like wiring loom, carbon upgrades, fuel tank lights etc came to nearly another £1000

all in all im bout £8-10k for finishing project if that helps

My zetec would be budgeted at around £80, and a donor sierra at around £150.

On a budget build, Omex ecu & throttle bodies (£1800) wouldn't be needed, correct? Doesn't a zetec engine already have its own ford ecu?

And the remainder can be taken out of a £150 sierra donor, no?

G.Man

posted on 25/3/06 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
from the sierra donor you will need steering column with switchgear and shroud, front uprights, engine (if you want it), gearbox for either stock motor or zetec, diff, drive shafts, brakes front and rear, fuses and relays, steering wheel..(wheels and tyres are useful until you aquire your new ones)

Extra parts you will need for the car will be wiring loom, lights, seats, seatbelts, instruments, propshaft, handbrake cable, radiator, hoses, engine wiring loom and ecu (may get with the zetec) hoses, exhaust system, wheels, tyres and a battery, preferably light weight....

The main differences between the RT and RT+ will be the rollcage CDS/T45 polly bushed/rose jointed suspension, I believe either can take the cortina uprights, but Marc may correct me on this, if you can get a set of cortina front uprights, bite the persons hand off, or ask marc about the new prototypes...

You should be able to put a respectable car together with car engine for around £5.5-6k.. You just need to be a show whore...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

EViS

posted on 25/3/06 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
That was MOST helpful, thanks!

Would it not be possible to put a 'respectable' one together for a max budget of £4k . Or are you going by RRP prices of parts, and not ebay and scrapyard ones ?

Also, how do cortina uprights differ to sierra ones? Not sure which doner car to buy here... do the parts from each differ much?

chockymonster

posted on 26/3/06 at 01:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EViS
That was MOST helpful, thanks!

Would it not be possible to put a 'respectable' one together for a max budget of £4k . Or are you going by RRP prices of parts, and not ebay and scrapyard ones ?

Also, how do cortina uprights differ to sierra ones? Not sure which doner car to buy here... do the parts from each differ much?

The cortina ones are lighter and allow better geometry settings than the sierra.

The sierra used a macpherson strut setup and the cortina used a wishbone and coil setup which is exactly what vortx etc uses.

From what I understand, the problem using the sierra upright is that in the original setup the upright swung with the strut which kept camber constant, with a wishbone design the upright rotates with the balljoint and camber changes when steering. If you use the cortina upright you don't have this problem. Bear in mind that this is what I've read since deciding to build so don't take it too much as gospel!

Another thing to point out is that Hyundai made the Stellar based on the cortina, if you look at the early stellar 1 it's using the cortina wishbone setup.

As for the 4k budget, I think you'd be pushing it but then it depends on how you want the car to look and how quickly you want it done.
If you're a "got to do it now" type of person then I think you'll find it hard, but if you're prepared to do the harder bits yourself and set realistic targets then I suppose it could be done.

I've set myself a tight budget on the RT+ of £8,500, that may move a bit but my plan is to get the car running and then upgrade as I grow into the car. That way I can keep improving instead of building a fantastic car with everything I want and then having limited upgrade options. If you approach it the same way then I suppose it could be done. Talk to Marc or Chris, they'll give you a better idea of what you can acheive.

EViS

posted on 26/3/06 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
I know someone who is currently building a Luego with a budget set at £4k, and it seems like he will keep to this target. Is there any reason for why an MNR (or any other manufacturer for that matter) would cost more to build than a said Luego?

[Edited on 26/3/06 by EViS]

G.Man

posted on 26/3/06 at 05:42 AM Reply With Quote
depends how much you save on all the extra bits I mentioned...

Its down to your bargain hunting ability, not the make...

chockymonster

posted on 26/3/06 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G.Man

And your ability to resist the nice pretty shiny bits!

G.Man

posted on 26/3/06 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
I covet the precious things..

Krismc

posted on 26/3/06 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Fully Integrated Rear Chassis Section For Improved Fuel Tank Protection, With Crushable Rear Structure To Absorb Rear Impacts.
Easily Removable Rosejointed Rear Strut Brace, To Enable Quick Differential Change.

Are you sure thats supposed to be in the kit. ive just read the leaflets ive got and it says that too but im sure you have to pay a extra £245.!!

........confirmed i payed extra for that

[Edited on 26/3/06 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

G.Man

posted on 26/3/06 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Are you sure thats supposed to be in the kit. ive just read the leaflets ive got and it says that too but im sure you have to pay a extra £245.!!

........confirmed i payed extra for that

[Edited on 26/3/06 by Krismc]

Depends on the package you bought, MNR did some show special packs that included the pedal box and some that didnt...

G.Man

posted on 26/3/06 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster
quote:
quote:
where or what???

I thought that was only with the vortx super, but it has been included on the RT+

Either its a new addition, or an incorrect copy and paste onto the new website..

chockymonster

posted on 26/3/06 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster
quote:
quote:
where or what???

I thought that was only with the vortx super, but it has been included on the RT+

Either its a new addition, or an incorrect copy and paste onto the new website..

I'll check with Chris on monday on that, as for the pedal box I thought it came with the kit too, but I've still had to order one?

[Edited on 26/3/06 by chockymonster]

Krismc

posted on 26/3/06 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'll check with Chris on monday on that, as for the pedal box I thought it came with the kit too, but I've still had to order one?

strange

EViS

posted on 26/3/06 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Although the Luego Budget Blaster Package costs £1,950 inc Vat. Whilst the MNR Starter Kit is £2795 inc Vat.

For that additional £800 I'm sure I could get most of the additional parts together... although granted that the MNR GRP is fully powder coated, something that the Luego isn't and i'll have to get done...

marc n

posted on 26/3/06 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
hi guys

yep some of the info isnt quite correct on the web ( thats this weeks mission ) last weeks was the build manual , the pedal carcass is included in the kit pedals / mc etc are not in the standard kits, altough the standard kit lists are not set in stone as i dont think any 1 kit we have supplied has been the same due to individual requirements

best regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Krismc

posted on 26/3/06 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for clearing that up marc!!

ps i still aint got a build manual or a link that works, is it not quite done yet??

marc n

posted on 26/3/06 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
hi chris yes its done but cant work out how to place it on our website
going to try and sort it out on monday morning with the kind offer of assistance from chocky monster , you can downlaoad it from chris walters site, i will u2u the password to veiw it

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
marc n

posted on 26/3/06 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
u2u now sent
amalyos

posted on 26/3/06 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
If there's anyone down south that wants to see the MNR without the 5hr ride up North, your welcome to come and see my build. I've got the RT+, fitting the R1 engine.
I'm in Essex (no fluffy dice yet)

Just U2U me.

Steve.

RogerL

posted on 22/4/06 at 04:30 AM Reply With Quote
Krismc: What Bellhousing, Trans are you using ?

Question for Krismc or anyone using Zetec engine:

I am building a VortX RT+ with a Zetec engine and Ford T9 transmission.
What is the best deal on bellhousing to fit this
combination ?
Caterham sells an alloy bellhousing. Raceline also makes an alloy bellhousing plus sump and other nice bits.

G.Man

posted on 22/4/06 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
shouldnt the stock ford bellhousing fit?

Ford have never changed their bellhousings as I understand it

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.