Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MNR FREQUENCY ASKED QUESTIONS
Krismc

posted on 30/3/06 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
MNR FREQUENCY ASKED QUESTIONS

quote:
For road use ET35 (Ford) is recommended, but for track/race use we have found ET18 (Peugot) to work the best.

Went to order my wheels today and the guy at halfords and my local tyre place didnt have a clue, i asked for a ET 35 ford 205/50/15 for the back and 195/50/15 for the front, (with toyo t1-s tyres on 7 inch wide alloys ) i take it thats what i need for

but they asked what hubs i had and couldnt under stand how they would fit comfortably ( ive ford XR4 rears and Cortina raceleda replacement fronts!)

can any one help and tell me whats the max width i can fit on back and front and whats the best offset! for fast road use and occasional track on a rt-plus car!

and i want the biggest width i can fit on the back!

[Edited on 30/3/06 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

G.Man

posted on 30/3/06 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
7 inch with 205's is about as wide as you can go...

Hubs are ford so just tell them ford 4 bolt hubs, they are all the same.. ET 35-38

[Edited on 30/3/06 by G.Man]

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

nick205

posted on 30/3/06 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
not sure if I'm reading your post right, but the ET figure refers to the wheel itself, not the tyre. It specifies how far offset in mm the face that mates with the hub is from the centreline of the wheel.

The "Ford" part refers to the stud spacing (or PCD).

As it happens, Peugeot use the same PCD as Ford, but generally with bolts instead of studs. However their wheels are commonly ET18 (probably due to being FWD) as opposed to Ford's ET35 for RWD cars.

The 205/50/15 figures then obviously determine the width, profile and size of the tyre, which needs to be suitable for the wheel size and car (wheel arch clearance etc).

As I say, may be reading your post wrong though.

Nick

Krismc

posted on 30/3/06 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

not sure if I'm reading your post right, but the ET figure refers to the wheel itself, not the tyre. It specifies how far offset in mm the face that mates with the hub is from the centreline of the wheel.

The "Ford" part refers to the stud spacing (or PCD).

As it happens, Peugeot use the same PCD as Ford, but generally with bolts instead of studs. However their wheels are commonly ET18 (probably due to being FWD) as opposed to Ford's ET35 for RWD cars.

The 205/50/15 figures then obviously determine the width, profile and size of the tyre, which needs to be suitable for the wheel size and car (wheel arch clearance etc).

As I say, may be reading your post wrong though.

Nick
quote:

yea i know all that, and ford are et35 PCD 108 wheels and Peugeot are et18 108's! thats not what i was asking, i was jst trying to ask what is the best and the biggest wheel and tyre i can get on (15 inches in size of course)

in MNR FAQ's it says ET 18 or 35 can be used on the vortx, but if im going 205 50 15 i want to know which one will leave me the best amount of room on my rear arches, and if i should just get 195 50 15's on the front

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Krismc

posted on 30/3/06 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
((7 inch with 205's is about as wide as you can go...

Hubs are ford so just tell them ford 4 bolt hubs, they are all the same.. ET 35-38 ))

yea thats what i asked for i told him ford fitment but when he asked about width clearance i had to tell him what car and they got all confused!

Ive just when to alloy motorsport just before i got you replys guys and ive decided on 195 50 15 et35 fronts and 205 50 15 rears on 7 inch wheels!

So yea thats going to work out about right to what you have said!

oh and T1-s tyres aint being made no more just t1-r (the new ones) so going to cost around £600 for superlegeras/or superturismos

ps they are selling of the T1-s for £40 a tyre in 195 50 15's if anybody wants any

nick205

posted on 30/3/06 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
understood - like I said I wasn't sure I was reading it right
Krismc

posted on 30/3/06 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
understood - like I said I wasn't sure I was reading it right

no bother

OZ SUPERLEGERAS

OR

OZ GRANDTURISIMO

which do people like, im playing it safe with muti spoke as i have seen many decent wheels on kit cars- unless people have any pictures

chockymonster

posted on 30/3/06 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
My local tyre place are selling T1-Rs cheaper than that!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rjbrookes

posted on 30/3/06 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
i have ordered the Caterham alloys 13x8 205/60 for rear and 13x6 185/60 for fronts with Toyo R888, and they have ET24, has been checked with Marc and they will fit too.

Hope that helps??!?!?

Russ

Krismc

posted on 30/3/06 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
13's are just too small for me im affraid, and R888s will be no good for road driving in the wet, which this car will mostly be doing! what do the westfield ones look like are they not just a compomotive alloy

i wish i could photo sop some onto the car!

OZ RECORDS

Krismc

posted on 30/3/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
My local tyre place are selling T1-Rs cheaper than that!
quote:

yea its funny but they might have a poor speed rating, or might just being ripped off they are £120 a tyre from http://www.performancealloys.com/results_search.asp?procedure=tyres_by_size

but £39 from halfords hmm strange sumones making a quick buck some

G.Man

posted on 30/3/06 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
krismc

I urge you to read my "I bought an RT+" thread...

You will find many of the answers to your questions there...

On mine, OZ Superleggeras, ET38, Ford fitment, 205/50x15 toyo 888's...

Bought from MADS on ebay, cheapest I could find...

I now have some 17x8 Superleggeras on my Scoobie Forester Turbo as well

chockymonster

posted on 30/3/06 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krismc

yea its funny but they might have a poor speed rating, or might just being ripped off they are £120 a tyre from http://www.performancealloys.com/results_search.asp?procedure=tyres_by_size

but £39 from halfords hmm strange sumones making a quick buck some

Nope,
decent speed ratings.
Just fitted 4 to my wife's MX5, worked out at £158 fitted and balanced

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Krismc

posted on 30/3/06 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
actually they are £36 so about the same price as halfords eh! £152 + fitting and balancing

but if i buy these tyres whats the cheapest place for rims??? anybody!

eddymcclements

posted on 30/3/06 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought - why the 15" rims? A 15" wheel/tyre combination will be heavier than 13" or 14", the wheels and tyres will generally be pricier and the stiff, low-profile tyres will reduce ride quality, especially on such a light car.

Cheers,

Eddy

Krismc

posted on 30/3/06 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I urge you to read my "I bought an RT+" thread...

You will find many of the answers to your questions there...

On mine, OZ Superleggeras, ET38, Ford fitment, 205/50x15 toyo 888's...

Bought from MADS on ebay, cheapest I could find...

I now have some 17x8 Superleggeras on my Scoobie Forester Turbo as well
quote:

yea ive have a set before they go on anything, and do you have a link??

quote:

Just a thought - why the 15" rims? A 15" wheel/tyre combination will be heavier than 13" or 14", the wheels and tyres will generally be pricier and the stiff, low-profile tyres will reduce ride quality, especially on such a light car.

Cheers,

I can see where you are coming from but, the wiehg issue depends on rim quality i could get a standard 13 that is much heavier than a 5kg comp wheel and A 15 will look a lot better, fill those arches and you will never notice the difference of the ride quality between the 2, the side walls will still be a few inches thick!

And if you notice in my archive, my audi had a set of 20's (lowered 60), my clio a set if 18's (lowered 100mm) and my latest brabus has 17 205 40's and i dont notice a poor ride quality, they feel fine to me it may be i like to feel the road or i might just be/have a soft arse

G.Man

posted on 30/3/06 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=30006

about 10 threads down from this..

smart51

posted on 30/3/06 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
I run 195/50/15s on mine with ET35 rims on sierra hubs all round. Handling is spot on with 18 PSI at the back and 17 at the front.

Would ET18 peugeot rims cause the wheels to stick out further? These would cause my rears to foul on the arches. On the fronts it wouldn't matter as you stick the front arches on to suit. The wider track should improve grip in theory.

As for 13" rims, 205/60/13s have exactly the same rolling circumference as 195/50/15s according to my michelin data sheet. Sizes do vary from manufacturer to manufacturer though. Standard 13" cast rims weigh the same as 15" OZ superleggeras but are about 15kg a set lighter than standard cast 15s. If I'd known...

[Edited on 30-3-2006 by smart51]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.