Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Girling M/Cyl rebuild plans
James

posted on 3/4/06 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Girling M/Cyl rebuild plans

Finally got myself a rebuild kit for my black tubular m/cyl (yay! ) :

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=41416

I've already stripped it down as much as possible but now I've seen how many parts there are in the kit I obviously need to strip it more.

Anyone got any plans to do it? Or just any tips.
I've got the main 'plunger' bit out but the rest (that's further down the cylinder) is buried down there. How do I get it out?

I've tried my Sierra Heynes and both versions of the MK2 Granada Heynes but no joy so far.

Thanks!

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Bluemoon

posted on 3/4/06 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi James,

Sorry I can't be any help but where did you get the kit from in the end?

Dan

02GF74

posted on 3/4/06 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
what car(s) was it fitted too? I have a fair few haynes manuals but can guarantee not the one you need
grafter

posted on 3/4/06 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
I currently have my master cylinder dismantled on my workbench waiting on a new seal kit and on mine there is a small pin in the front hole that the plastic reservoir fits into. You just remove this with a long nosed plier and then tap the end and the front section of the internals should slide out.

[Edited on 3/4/06 by grafter]

James

posted on 3/4/06 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Dan,
My first ever e-bay purchase. Lucked in as only £7inc P&P. Brakes Int' wanted £25+vat (in the old days when they still sold them!).
Kit arrived today and all looks ok. Will fit it as soon as I get out of this hell-hole and get home!

02GF74, (are you a borg?)
It's an 87 2.0 SOHC Sierra with drum rears. In the picture I linked to above it's the black tubular (as opposed to cast) one.
If you can find it easily that would be cool.

Grafter,
I took out the pin you mention and that allowed me to remove the sprung 'piston'. But there is more further up the tube (presumably for the front 2 unions) so I need to get that out.
I'll try tapping it to see what happens!

Thanks so far everyone!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 3/4/06 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Done all the seals supplied in the kit.

Tapping it was the way!

Thing is, how the bloody hell do you get the reservoir back in with new seals?
Tried pressing in with vice... just springs out again!

Cheers,
James

James

posted on 3/4/06 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, that's how.... you turn the seals round by 180 degrees and wiggle the reservoir as it goes in!

Cheers,
James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.