Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bike engine w/ shaft drive
rv1890

posted on 5/4/06 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
bike engine w/ shaft drive

I was wondering if anybody had advice for me. I have a yamaha 1200cc from a old bike of mine. I was thinking about making a shaft drive dsr/csr/locost. I want the engine to mount in the rear, and I plan on having it connected with a shaft (more like u-joints with a small shaft on each end ) to a rear differential. The rear differential would be out of a subaru or anything with a IRS differential. As you can tell the engine would be mounted horizontally, and the driver would be pushed more towards the front of teh vehicle. I may make it an indy style car.

1) First of all, is there any major issues concerning this???? Is this idea completely out of reach or is feasible??...has it been tried??

2) If possible, will there any issues with gearing?? In other words how would i go about choosing a rear end that has the correct final drive ratio. Is there even an optimum ratio?? Is there a specific rear end differential that would compliment the bike engine well?

Thank you., and I appreciate any and all help.

trikerneil

posted on 5/4/06 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
You'll probably find that the propshaft rotates the wrong way. If the output is on the left of the engine like the XS1100 then I can gaurantee it.
The usual answer is to turn the diff over, but most modern diffs don't take kindly to this. I tried it with a Sierra diff and it didn't work at all well.
Most modern diffs are of the hypoid? type which means that the pinion pulls itself into mesh and onto a thrust bearing as it turns. Turning a hypoid diff over causes the pinion to "push off" the crownwheel and the thrust bearing.
If the pinion is on the centreline of the crownwheel (ie non hypoid) then you should be OK.

As to ratios I'm running a 3.14 diff with 24.25inch diameter tyres and it's a touch overgeared.

Have a look at my website for more on the subject.

Hope this helps

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.