Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ooops!
eddymcclements

posted on 10/4/06 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Ooops!

Went for a long drive yesterday - A65 from Kirkby Lonsdale to Crooklands, turned right and headed for Kendal, picked up the back road through Oxenholme and onto the A684 to Sedbergh. Through the town and kept on the A684 up through Garsdale and on to Hawes. Paused briefly and headed back along the B6255 through Widdale and past Ribblehead, down into Ingleton and along the A65 back to the starting point.

Trouble is, some of these roads are like a roller-coaster...see below.

Ooops
Ooops

I seem to have grazed a tiny hole in the sump - enough for a steady drip, drip, drip. I only realised an hour after arriving home so I quickly drained the remaining oil (still 3 litres left) and cleaned the drive before SWMBO got home. Time to implement that dry-sump plan that's been brewing in my mind....got a d/s tank and Pinto oil pump on the way from eBay.

Eddy

graememk

posted on 10/4/06 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
shouldnt you drain the remaining 3lts of oil into a container, looks like theres 2 lts on the driveway

and us blokes dont understand why we get put on mother inlaw programs:

welderman

posted on 10/4/06 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Where about are you located, you must have got your number plate from Preston i guess.
I'm just outside Chorley, and boy was it cold yesterday.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Peteff

posted on 10/4/06 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
That's a feeble excuse for a dry sump.

Drain the oil out an mig it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Hellfire

posted on 10/4/06 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I'm surprised you grounded it with the front of the car THAT high! How did you steer?

No need for dry sump - you money squaderer you! As Pete says - get it welded up man! You know SWMBO would approve...

DarrenW

posted on 10/4/06 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
When i welded my sump up i used 3mm steel for bottom plate and angled it up at the front. This might be an idea to strengthen it.

eddymcclements

posted on 10/4/06 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I did have a boxed 'n' baffled shortened sump fitted but was getting surge problems when I nailed the beeatch, so I fitted a stock sump instead. This was the first trip out with the stock sump, so it's lasted...ohh...50 miles? For now I'm going to take it off and mig it and add some 3mm steel skids to the bttom, but in the longer term I need to do something about clearance - the 65mm it has at the moment obviously isn't enough. Good thing it was only a graze - what if there'd been a cat's eye as well....might have ripped it right off!

Megabusa drysump tank - 40 quid eBay
Pinto oil pump - 99p eBay (plus postage)
New housing - lump of ally, machined to fit Pinto gears
Hoses - hydraulic supplier
Belt and pulley - HTD / Gates stockist

I reckon I can do it all for 75-80 quid. Cheaper than a new set of main bearings or a crank re-grind.

welderman - I'm right at the top end of Lancashire. Cumbria is about a mile away, and Yorkshire about 5.

Cheers,

Eddy

Agriv8

posted on 10/4/06 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Eddy,

Your a brave man I live Just tother side of Skipdale ( skipton to anyone who does not watch emerdale ) we had rain, snow hail, sun ( and that was just in the 2 hours I was cheering the missus on playing football.

Can imaginge it was brisk up at hawes.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

eddymcclements

posted on 10/4/06 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Aye, it's always a few degrees colder once you passed through the border crossing into Yorkshire. I was glad to get back to the swaying palm trees and warm tropical breeze of Lancashire.

Had a big Jap 4x4 sports saloon (Skyline?) up my chuff all the way up from Garsdale - 300+bhp and 4-wheel drive versus 125bhp and RWD on slippy A539s. Still got away from him in places.

Eddy

Potster

posted on 10/4/06 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Agriv8 where about are you in Skipdale? I live on the outskirts but haven't seen your car around.
Oldpc

posted on 10/4/06 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Eddy,
this is my first post so Hi to everyone else too.
Sorry to hijack your post but I've been collecting bits to start my build and would like to identify my chassis. The wishbones look exactly the same as yours so could you tell me what make your car is, hope this makes sense, regards Paul.

Pezza

posted on 10/4/06 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
my old pre-lit westy had a handy little thing fitted.
A couple of flat steel strips (3mm thick) heading front to rear from a front crossmember that ran just under the sump. meant if you cliped a high speed bump or something it hit the bars rather than the sump itself.
Can't have been more than kilo or two of steel all told, only lost a couple of mm of clearance and i'm pretty sure it saved my sump once when I hit a speed bump I had forgotten about at speed.
Ben

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

Marcus

posted on 10/4/06 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
mmm
Sump surfing, not a passtime I enjoy. Have got away with it too many times, due for a biggy!

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
greggors84

posted on 11/4/06 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
How much to get a bit of ali machined to fit the pinto pump you reckon, home lathe jobby? Or machine shop?

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

eddymcclements

posted on 11/4/06 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Oldpc - it's a Stuart Taylor chassis, circa November 2001. As far as I know they subbed out all the fabrication work to someone else, so there may be wishbones from other mfrs which look the same.

greggors84 - I haven't got the pump yet so I don't know if has 2 intermeshing gears or if it's a trochoidal type with a four-node impeller inside a 5-node rotor. The former will need an oval housing done in the lathe in a 4-jaw chuck - just offset the workpiece by the required amount which corresponds to the distance between centres of the two gears.

The latter will need a circular housing with inlet and outlet ports carefully placed to match the OE part.

I still need to decide if I need a two-stage scavenge or if I can overdrive the pump using suitably-sized pulleys to keep up with the flow requirements of the pressure side of the system.

Eddy

[Edited on 11-4-2006 by eddymcclements]

Oldpc

posted on 11/4/06 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Eddy, the guy i bought the chassis from said the welder made chassis for several makers , one being Stuart Taylor so that could well be it.
Hope to make a start over the hols. one very rusty Sierra to pull to bits,

Paul

oioi

posted on 12/4/06 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
sometimes even a dry sump doesnt save you when your flyin

another time i came down hard and managed to rip the gearbox mount in half and shove the prop shaft into the top of the transmission tunnel

that nice curve is where the prop shaft momentarily tried to eat its way through a cross member

tis all good fun tho

That is the Curse of Speed which has plagued me all my life I am a slave to it. On my tombstone they will carve,
"IT NEVER GOT FAST ENOUGH FOR ME." - Hunter S Thompson

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.