Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  14    15    16    17    18    19  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bodywork for CANAMSA
ceebmoj

posted on 20/3/13 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the update, it looks great. I love following your project.
smart51

posted on 20/3/13 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good Fred. I admire your patience. I'd be itching to pull it from the mould.

Fred W B

posted on 23/3/13 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the kind responses Guys.

The scuttle is now out of the mold, and I could not resist mocking it up with the doors. Does it look like part of a car yet?

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

ceebmoj

posted on 23/3/13 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
wow.

I cant weight to see the rest. I think you may have been asked before, but do you intend to sell bits when you are done?

Fred W B

posted on 24/3/13 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Ceeb

Certainly if their is interest I will look at selling bits. Think that I might have to investigate getting a commercial concern to make parts in my moulds though as it takes me so long.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Fred W B

posted on 24/3/13 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
All this time the mock up chassis has been supporting the cutting table. I pulled the top off, cleaned up the huge accumulation of sanding dust and glass fibres and tried the scuttle on the mock up chassis. It doesn't fit badly considering that when I made the mock up I did not know what body I might use.

And yes I tried sitting it and just sat there contemplating the progress for a while. I didn't make motor noises though

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 24/3/13 by Fred W B]

andygtt

posted on 26/3/13 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B

And yes I tried sitting it and just sat there contemplating the progress for a while. I didn't make motor noises though

[Edited on 24/3/13 by Fred W B]

Sorry Fred, but thats a crime... you must go back into the garage right now and make some brum brummm noises while sitting in the driver seat

parts look fantastic, really looking forward to seeing the complete body

Andy

please redefine your limits.

chrsgrain

posted on 27/3/13 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Wow - its always difficult to tell in photos, but those parts look SMOOTH... lovely work, nice panel gaps... awesome.

I thought I remembered that you've got the chassis all done and dusted, but that last post suggested that you've still got to make it??

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

adithorp

posted on 27/3/13 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hasn't anybody ever told you kit cars can't have a finish like that. Panel gaps are supposed to be huge and uneven.

I'm just glad it's taking you so long, Fred... 'Cos when it's done everyone else's car's will look crap by comparison.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Fred W B

posted on 30/3/13 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the complimentary comments guys

Andy - As for making engine sounds while sat in the chassis, if I did make some it would be how a V8 engine sound was depicted in writing in those wonderful "CARtoons" 70's comics, like this ..... Duga Duga Duga Duga.... .If you say it right it does sound like a V8 with open exhausts at idle.

I still have some of the comics

Chris - The chassis so far is a roughly built mock up protoype that I put together to sort the ergonomics and the layout of the running gear. I welded it almost fully and tested the torsional stiffness. I stopped working on it as I needed to sort out the overall width over the wheels and for that I need the body confirmed. The idea now is to finish the body, and then hang it over this mock up chassis to finalize things like where the radiator mounts, suspension etc. Once that is done I will then build a real "final" chassis. Some of the frame parts or subsections used in this exercise could become part of the final chassis.

Adithorp - I'm sure it wont be that easy to get the panel gaps right once I have to hang the panels and actually make them open and close.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 30/3/13 by Fred W B]

Fred W B

posted on 30/3/13 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
In further news, now that the scuttle is out of the way, a friend helped me pull the tail mold off what is left of the pattern.

We bolted it tougher roughly to get an idea of the scale of the next step. It's a big part, the surface area is over 6 m2. Now to get on with preparing this. Some more return fences to make, then more polishing, matt cutting etc etc.

My gell coat application does not look so good when the rear panel is backlit in the open door like that

Feels like I've come a long way since I bought the model to copy!

Cheers

Fred W B

Ivan

posted on 30/3/13 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote

Fred W B

posted on 5/5/13 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Made a bit more progress, scrapped out the rest of the pattern. I saved the rearmost portion of the tail and hung it on the wall.

Fred W B

posted on 5/5/13 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Finished the returns on the edges of the tail, and made the former for the hole above the engine.

I made this a separate piece so that I can change the size of hole, or omit it altogether on future parts

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 5/5/13 by Fred W B]

smart51

posted on 5/5/13 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
You've got a nice shine on that mould Fred. Good work! How are you planning to seal the engine recess to the mould to stop the new gelcoat seeping underneath?

Fred W B

posted on 6/5/13 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

You've got a nice shine on that mould Fred. Good Work!

Thanks Smart, considering that I have not yet even polished the surface

quote:

How are you planning to seal the engine recess to the mould to stop the new gelcoat seeping underneath?

I will run the usual plastacine fillet along the corner, to give me a 4 mm radius. The former actually fits tightly against the surface, what looks like a gap in the pictures is a thick blue felt tip pen line I drew around the former to mark the position.

Cheers

[Edited on 6/5/13 by Fred W B]

Fred W B

posted on 30/6/13 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've made some progress on the tail section. Because of the size of the part, difficulty of access and as I work mostly on my own I have to make the part in sections.

I laid up the side sections first

I made this tool to help work the matt into the tight corners of the wheel arch lip

Fred W B

posted on 30/6/13 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Then I laid up the rear section

Fred W B

posted on 30/6/13 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Then the main top surface

I masked the 2 layers of gell edges and staggered the edges of the 3 layers of matt to enable me to blend in the joining sections

Fred W B

posted on 30/6/13 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Then I dressed the edges of the part sections and bolted the 6 outer pieces of the mould together. The next step was to glass over the join between the sides and the top section. Again the joining pieces of matt were staggered in width to give an even thickness across the join. The dark marks in the layup are pen marks I use to align the matt pieces

[Edited on 30/6/13 by Fred W B]

GonzoRacer

posted on 30/6/13 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice work, Fred! And, as you said, a LOT of work for one man with only two hands. (I assume you've got two?)

Well done, Sir!
JDK

"And it wasn't even a full moon."

smart51

posted on 30/6/13 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Good to see your progress. I can't wait to see the finished result.

Fred W B

posted on 30/6/13 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments guys

This weekend I had to position the mould almost vertically to make it possible to reach all of the top edge of the tail to top section join area.

Fred W B

posted on 30/6/13 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
and here you see the prepared matt to make that top edge join

That was laid up today. My hamstrings are going to feel it tomorrow!

Cheers

Fred W B

ceebmoj

posted on 30/6/13 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
looks great cant be long till you get the first rear clip
<<  14    15    16    17    18    19  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.