Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wot calipers 'n' discs
flidz101

posted on 24/4/06 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Wot calipers 'n' discs

What do you suggest as a reasonable front suspension set-up? Is it worth bothering with vented discs or will original grooved and drilled cortina discs do? (if so, where can I buy them?)

I want to upgrade the (frankly poo) M16s to a 4pot caliper. Is there any better than the Wilwood calipers?

What do you guys recommend?

flak monkey

posted on 24/4/06 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
They may seem poo. But they will stop a locost quicker than you think they will A car weighing only half that of the orginal car only has 1/4of the engery, so the brakes only have to work 1/4 as hard to stop in the same distance

When I asked a similar question I was told to fit good quality pads (Mintex fast road pads) and use normal discs. Depending on your budget you could fit drilled and grooved discs which are about £40/pair. Pads and discs are available from www.rallydesign.com.

Cheers,
David

[Edited on 24/4/06 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

flidz101

posted on 24/4/06 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
So you really think the M16s are OK?
flak monkey

posted on 24/4/06 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Personally, yes i think they are fine. I am even using drum brakes on the back....

Really it all depends on your budget. If you have upwards of £300 to spend on some front calipers and discs, by all means do so and there will be a difference. I am just not conviced theres enough difference to warrant the expenditure.... Maybe if you want the car as a track car it would be worth it, but not on the road.

Just wait for everyone to disagree now

David

[Edited on 24/4/06 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

RichardK

posted on 24/4/06 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
and it would take you £50 over budget
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stu16v

posted on 24/4/06 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have had M16's and standard Cortina discs on the front of my car for three years now, and have done quite literally thousands of trackday miles. I have never had any worries about braking power, and I have only once got the brakes so hot that they started losing effectiveness - and that was with OE spec Ferodo pads. Last year I fitted some 'decent' pads, and got rid of that problem too!

Having said that, I am presently upgrading to Hi-Spec 4 pot calipers (if they ever turn up!). The only reason I am doing so is too shed weight, rather than improve braking. If they do improve the braking, that will be a bonus to me...

Dont just build it.....make it!

TimC

posted on 24/4/06 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Vented Disks = Massive Overkill IMHO

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 24/4/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
retro ford mag did a back to back test of hi-spec 4 pots against princess 4 pots and found improved braking performance, as mentioned though with around a quarter of the work to do on a 7 , the difference would be minimal.

didn't someone on here swap m16's for wilwood 4 pots and find no performance difference, can't remember who it was

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

dern

posted on 24/4/06 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
didn't someone on here swap m16's for wilwood 4 pots and find no performance difference, can't remember who it was
I swapped 4 pot wilwoods for standard tina stuff on my 300bhp westfield and they're absolutely fine. The limiting factor is the tyres frankly even with yoko 032rs. I'm putting the wilwoods on my bec locost though as they're lighter.

Mark

[Edited on 24/4/06 by dern]

R1 (2003 FI) powered Locost in progress
Fireblade/Impreza

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 25/4/06 at 01:47 AM Reply With Quote
calipers

if you are looking to upgrade to a more powerful engine in the future then a brake upgrade may be a good idea. if you want fancy calipers why not give hi-spec a call and talk to geoff. hi-spec do a lug and radial replacement for the M16 caliper, i think that they are about £90 +VAT (each), like dave (flat monkey) said get yourself some decent pads (mintex or EBC green/red stuff) and you will have a great breaking system. (you will be able to stop your car on a 5 pence piece let alone a 50)

Again it depends on your budget, i prefer the look of the hi-spec calipers (you can have them in bronze,silver or gold) to the dull black wilwood one, again its down to you. i have heard good and bad reports on both hi-spec and wilwood but again its down to personal preference

here is the hi-spec site
http://www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk/

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

flidz101

posted on 25/4/06 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.

I think I've been persuaded to stick with the M16s for the moment. It is a tad expensive to uprgrade to the 4pots just to save a few kilos - I think I'd rather keep my £200 and cut down on puddings.

Hellfire

posted on 25/4/06 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
I think you'll find there's slightly more than just a few kilos to be saved and remember where those kilos are - the worst possible place - unsprung and some of it rotating.

Like you state though, they're not cheap but definitely worth bearing in mind for future modification.

[Edited on 25-4-06 by Hellfire]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.