Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Top rear wishbone mounting space!?
Winston Todge

posted on 26/4/06 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Top rear wishbone mounting space!?

Hey all just as the title really...

I'm fitting the rear end together and have come a little unstuck with the rear wishbones. The top rearmost mount seems to run very close to a vertical chassis tube.

Do people use a shallower nyloc and a shorter bolt?

Ta,

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 26/4/06 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yes a shorter Nylock nut is required the bolt may need to be checked for length as well .

I assume this is the top rear most bolt that in getting close to the bar that the fuel tank sits close to.

reagrds

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

smart51

posted on 26/4/06 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Is that the one where MNR supply crushed full nuts rather than nylocs. They were a bit of a pain to fit but not as much as the rear uprights.
Winston Todge

posted on 26/4/06 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that guys.

Can't seem to find any crushed nuts for this purpose though!?

Also my top wishbone seems to be very tight on the two inner wishbone brackets. Has anyone else found this? The brackets seem a little too widely spaced for the spacing of the wishbone...

Any comments people?

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 26/4/06 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Yep they are tight. How many mm do you recon you need ?

couple of things to make shure are the brackets you are locting the arms into 'Square' to the chassis ? .

Are your rubber bushes fully inserted ?
the edge of the bush should mate with the tube vitually no gap. check for over zealous powder coating ?

Regards

Agriv8

Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

G.Man

posted on 26/4/06 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winston Todge
Thanks for that guys.

Can't seem to find any crushed nuts for this purpose though!?

Also my top wishbone seems to be very tight on the two inner wishbone brackets. Has anyone else found this? The brackets seem a little too widely spaced for the spacing of the wishbone...

Any comments people?

Chris.

Just tolerance on the wishbones, but if they are way out, marc did have some wishbones that were made wrong, but they were RT+ I believe...

He had to redo mine and repair his jigs which someone screwed...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Winston Todge

posted on 26/4/06 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Again great points Ian.

All things you suggested I've had a squizz at. The slight worry is that without any bushes in place the wishbone fits into the two brackets but only has a mil between the inner wishbone mounting face and the bracket.

Also both top rear bones seem to have a slight toe in to them. Would this have an affect? Is this normal?

My wishbones are slightly different as they have the stiffening brace that runs across diagonally also.

Any more ideas?

Chris.

P.S. I could probably fit them in but it would be very tight. Would this have any adverse affects?

Winston Todge

posted on 26/4/06 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
They may have been the same Marc?

What were the problems with the incorrectly made ones?

Ta,

Chris.

Agriv8

posted on 26/4/06 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Right,

jigs for RT + and RT are different ( i think )

at MNR tommorow as we are prepping up for the show ( also need to get a couple of fine tunnung jobs sorted on the v8 ) will have a word with mark and get back to you.

REgards agriv8

chockymonster

posted on 26/4/06 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
at MNR tommorow as we are prepping up for the show

Can you remind him to take my picture for me (just in case he's too busy and forgets )

[Edited on 26/4/06 by chockymonster]

G.Man

posted on 27/4/06 at 05:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winston Todge
They may have been the same Marc?

What were the problems with the incorrectly made ones?

Ta,

Chris.

Wasnt the same as your problem, I think yours are just at extremes of tolerance...

A jig is very accurate, but I found when building mine, it does have some bits that arent 100% consistent, the brackets are only bent metal after all...

Its nothing that causes a problem longer term, but if you have brackets at the outer edges of their tolerance, and wishbones that are at the slimmer edge of their tolerance its gonna be a tight fit...

Which is what yours is I think...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Winston Todge

posted on 27/4/06 at 05:58 AM Reply With Quote
I think I may just be being a little picky to be honest.

What are the effects of a tight wishbone?

As you said earlier Ian, it's important to get the polybushes in flush against the side of the wishbone face. What happens if these are squeezed a little by the nut and bolt?

I think what I'm trying to ask is when the bolt is inserted through a polybush and crush tube what should pivot when the wishbone is moved up and down?

Should the polybush stay stationary and the wishbone pivot? Or should the wishbone and polybush pivot on the crush tube?

Thanks again,

Chris.

Peteff

posted on 27/4/06 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
the wishbone and polybush pivot on the crush tube

Apparently this is a matter which can cause lengthy discussion and much name calling. I'll risk it though and say the above.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Bryan Sears

posted on 27/4/06 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
When I fitted my suspension I found that I could make It fit by standing on one end of the wishbone and pulling it with both hands to make the gap wider not very technical but it made it fit hope this helps.
Krismc

posted on 28/4/06 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same clearance issue on my up rear most (inward) bolt, i didnt fancy cutting the bolts down but if thats the only way then hey i better get on with it, what about the nut??

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Agriv8

posted on 28/4/06 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Winston Sorry for the delay in geting back to you mentioned to mark .

You need to 'tweak' your rear boanes as mentioned above pulling them apart as Mark suspects they have pulled when they were welded up a small tweak should sort you out.

Regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 28/4/06 by Agriv8]

Winston Todge

posted on 28/4/06 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Ian,

Already sorted! Went together perfectly!

Chris.

Krismc

posted on 29/4/06 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
see i bit of bending hear and there sorts every thing out.. ha ha

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.