Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Performance tyre options
chockymonster

posted on 27/4/06 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
Performance tyre options

Apart from R888s and A048rs are there many reasonably priced toyo proxes equivalents for 13" wheels?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jos

posted on 27/4/06 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Yoko do A539's A021's & A032's but the 539's are road tyres, the 21's are wet/gravel tyres & the 32's are inbetween 48's & 21's AFAIK

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

pbs

posted on 27/4/06 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
One of the best tyres I have tried in recent years has been the Goodyear Eagle F1. This tyre made an unbeliveable differance to the grip, turn in and steering feel on my Pug 306 Gti 6.

Build your own sports car for £250 my ar5e!!

NS Dev

posted on 27/4/06 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Best tyre recently used on a road car have been Bridgestone potenza RE720's, which at £45 a pop fitted an balanced are a flipping bargain (195-65-14's)

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

ned

posted on 27/4/06 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Best I've had on a roadcar are toyo t1-r's I've replaced the worn fronts with falken ze502 or 512 (can't remember which) and they're not as good.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dern

posted on 27/4/06 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have 32s (precursor to 48s) on my westfield and they're as sticky as a sticky bun dipped in glue... unless it's cold or wet. If it's really grim I have a set of eagle nct2 which shift standing water better but aren't very sticky at all.

I have t1s on my mk2 golf 16v gti and the turn in is amazing.

When the 32s are dead on the westy I'll try some t1rs as they car is mainly used on the road and I can't justify the cost of the 48s and they aren't so flexible given that it seems to rain a fair bit when I want to go out.

Depends on what you're used to though.

[Edited on 27/4/06 by dern]

R1 (2003 FI) powered Locost in progress
Fireblade/Impreza

chockymonster

posted on 27/4/06 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
T1-Rs are brilliant, they're on my wife's mx5 and stick wonderfully even in the wet.

THe only problem is toyo don't make them in a 13 and neither do goodyear. The other performance options are just silly money for road tyres, especially when I can get T1-Rs fitted for £40 a corner (195/50/15) so I've decided to go for 15s for on the road and use my 13s for track days.

chockymonster

posted on 27/4/06 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dern
Depends on what you're used to though.
[Edited on 27/4/06 by dern]

4 wheel drive, turbo charged flame spouting beasty running on either R888s or dunlop D01js!!!
So something that's stickier than a sticky stick that's been dipped in super sticky glue on sticky back plastic

bimbleuk

posted on 30/4/06 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
I've experienced most of the above tyres and they're all pretty good, probably depends more on cost.

I haven't tried the Dunlop D01js but they seem to be highly regarded and priced to match I believe. I think the DZ02G may be the replacement for them.

The Faulken ze512s are a good budget (£35 ea fitted) tyre which I originally built my kit car. Designed for light cars with a soft side wall and hence lots of slidy fun on track. no where near the grip of my curretn R888s.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.