Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rivnut drill sizes...
Liam

posted on 10/5/06 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Rivnut drill sizes...

Hi there

Bought some various sized rivnuts from one of the many stools at stoneleigh. Didn't think to ask what size drills i need for the holes. Anybody got any idea? I guess it depends on the rivnuts or something nasty like that? Should I just go by what my calipers say, or go a tiny bit smaller so the notches are nice and tight?

Any help appreciated,

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 10/5/06 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
The 6mm rivnuts I had were just right with a 9.5 mm drill.
Steve.

nitram38

posted on 10/5/06 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
If you have got calipers then just measure the outside diameter of the bit that goes in the hole and use the same size drillbit. Test on a piece of scrap first to ensure the hole is a snug fit.

ned

posted on 10/5/06 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
they always seem to be the sizes i don't have and can't get easily locally - approx 7,9 & 11mm give or take for m5,6 & 8. i use a tapered rotary file type thing in the drill or a small rats tail file to take out an 8 or 10mm drill normally as i dont have exactly the right sizes.

Ned.

[Edited on 10/5/06 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 10/5/06 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
It also make a difference if the Rivnut is steel or ally - just measure with a vernier to get the drill size. The tighter the better.

[Edited on 10-5-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

watsonpj

posted on 10/5/06 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
rivnut sizes

the right sizes are available on the rs website

http://rswww.com

just do a search for clinchnuts

drillsizes listed are

M5 = 7.14/7.23
m6 = 9.53/9.61
m8 = 10.6/10.68

this is for avdel clinchnuts
I also don't have the right drill bits just 7,9 and 10 and then I just do a light overdrilling (i should get a small rat tail file

) untill they fit. Always seems to work.

Liam

posted on 10/5/06 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys...

Mr Caliper wanted me to go and buy a 6.25mm drill, so I told him to sod off and used a 6.5mm. The rivnuts squished up behind a treat and now I have a lovely removable footwell panel - woo hoooo.

I have also fallen in love with rivnuts - they are awesome!! Hmmmmm... every single panel removable.......

Liam Rescued attachment DSCF0063small.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0063small.JPG

John Bonnett

posted on 15/6/06 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, Metric rivnuts are available in both imperial and metric outside diameters. You will find that you have the exact drill for the job if you possess a set of metric and imperial drill bits. For example, a metric M4 rivnut needs a 6mm hole and an M5 a 7mm hole. If you are unlucky to overdrill then you can use an imperial metric rivnut which needs a slightly larger hole. This sounds double dutch to me but I hope you can follow.

Cheers

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.