Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crossflow sumps the same?
xxx

posted on 13/5/06 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Crossflow sumps the same?

Hey guys Im after a new sump for my 1300 xflow! Does anyone have one they want to get rid of? Or does anyone know if they are all the same size eg. 1300, 1600, 1760 all the same?

Cheers

Colin

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 13/5/06 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
didn't some have the 'bump' at the front and some at the rear?
dave-69isit

posted on 13/5/06 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
mk2 cortinas had boul at front
Marcus

posted on 14/5/06 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
I'd advise against a front bowl sump unless it's seriously baffled. I'm using one, unbaffled, and I get horrendous oil surge when accelerating hard, to the point where I get a cloud of blue smoke and a missfire for a few seconds! Came in handy when being followed too closely by Mr Chav. Floored throttle to produce James Bond style fog! He soon dropped back!
On the plus side a front bowl sump gets you over speed bumps better! (may baffle mine)

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 14/5/06 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Would also sort out my flywheel / starter motor fouling the exhaust issue (change the pre-engaged to one from a automatic sierra and the engager is at the bottom where the sump is now.
Markp

posted on 14/5/06 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
xxx

Whats your location??

Mark

britishtrident

posted on 14/5/06 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
1100, 1300 sumps different from 1600.

Cortina MK2 sump wasn't a problem when Lotus used it on the Elan and Seven

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 14/5/06 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
yeah, now you mention it, caterham crossflow's have the bowl at the front (well i think they do - vauge memory of lying on the car park floor at work looking under the finance directors car)
xxx

posted on 14/5/06 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys, just that theres a few 1600 sumps on ebay at the min! So you've saved me a bit of cash there!

MarkP Im currently at uni in Loughbrough mate!

Cheers

Colin

flyingkiwi

posted on 14/5/06 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
They are different, I accidently put a 1300 on my 1700 and the noise that came from the engine when I started it up was horrific.

The 1300 sump is shallower than the 1600, but not by much, and also the crank has a wider rotation on the 1600. You might be ok going putting a 1600 on the 1300, but definately not the other way around.

Be careful with the oil pick up pipe too, managed to put a rather large dent in the sump after hitting a metal bar I didn't see. Result was the sump pressed against the pipe and restricted the flow but not enough to switch on the oil light. Ended up trashing the big end bearings, thankfully not the crank. All happened far too quickly.

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

Markp

posted on 14/5/06 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 1300 sump you can have for free. It's missing the sump plug, these should be avilable at halfords (nothing special I hope)

I'm in nottingham if you want it. The bowl of the sump is at the back.

let me know

Mark

paulf

posted on 14/5/06 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have a front bowl sump that I think came from an XR2, i shortened it and fitted a baffle plate and have no problems apart from if i get carried away on roundabouts and then occasionally get the oil light flicker if the oil level is a bit low.I had to fit a dipstick tube to the sump itself as the timing cover is not fitted with one.
I think it does help with sump clearance over speed bumps etc as the bowl is nearer the front wheels.
Paul.

quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
I'd advise against a front bowl sump unless it's seriously baffled. I'm using one, unbaffled, and I get horrendous oil surge when accelerating hard, to the point where I get a cloud of blue smoke and a missfire for a few seconds! Came in handy when being followed too closely by Mr Chav. Floored throttle to produce James Bond style fog! He soon dropped back!
On the plus side a front bowl sump gets you over speed bumps better! (may baffle mine)

Marcus

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.