Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: "SYN flood " attack
dave1888

posted on 13/5/06 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
"SYN flood " attack

I keep getting a "SYN flood" attack on my computer every 5 mins or so. McAfee is blocking them. Can someone tell me what they are please.
planetester

posted on 13/5/06 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYN_flood
bilbo

posted on 13/5/06 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
See Here:
http://www.iss.net/security_center/advice/Exploits/TCP/SYN_flood/default.htm

Why a private PC would be the subject of a attack like this I don't know??

Are you using a broadband router or modem? If so, power it down and back on again (better re-boot your PC as well). That should force a new IP address from your intenet provider and hopefully put you out of the firing line.

dave1888

posted on 13/5/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
How do i make it stop. Its starting to get on me tits.
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 13/5/06 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Power everything down and leave it over night - if you just reboot 9 times out of 10 you'll get the same IP back.

I'd guess someone has found your machine and is trying to hack it. They'll want to take it over to then send out lots of naughty spam email or crash it to prove how great, fantastic, brillient, amazing they are.

Best way to stop it, enable the firewall on your router & get a decent firewall on your pc.

(or a shotgun and a lifelong never ending mission to kill the lot of the blighters! i'd reconmend the firewall, bit easier and more likely to be effective)

bilbo

posted on 13/5/06 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

(or a shotgun and a lifelong never ending mission to kill the lot of the blighters! i'd reconmend the firewall, bit easier and more likely to be effective)

But not nearly as much fun

dave1888

posted on 13/5/06 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
I am getting a wee bit fed up with my pc at the mo its been playing up for a while now. the internet is very slow even though it shows 2.2 meg connection. It started slowing down since i put NcAfee on it. I have also just had some updates from Microsoft saying i have a counterfiet copy of xp pro on my computer.i wonder how that got there Maybe time for an upgrade.
Peteff

posted on 13/5/06 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Try a Linux download if you don't want to fork out for Windows.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

zetec7

posted on 14/5/06 at 02:13 AM Reply With Quote
For anti virus, I've gone with AVG. It's free (download), has frequent free updates, and doesn't slow down or crash my computer like McAfee or Norton did! And it seems to fly below the radar as far as hackers and virus builders are concerned. Had it now for 2 years, and no problems since I got it...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 14/5/06 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
re the dodgy copy of windows- just do a rollback to before the update was downloaded and make sure you dont install it when the smart update says- worked for me
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 14/5/06 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
don't bother with going to the web site and letting m/s update you. Just let the PC update itself in the background.

MS want to catch the bad copies of XP but don't want open systems sending lots of remote attacks around so .....

if you deliberately update they'll catch you, if you let the system do it for you, they'll patch you nice aren't they

the_fbi

posted on 14/5/06 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave1888
I have also just had some updates from Microsoft saying i have a counterfiet copy of xp pro on my computer.

Clicky

chockymonster

posted on 15/5/06 at 03:47 AM Reply With Quote
For the last couple of days I've had massive amounts of SYN floods logged from this IP address

Not really alot ot worry about if you have a decent firewall, not sure how software stuff would cope though! Alot of the home use software stuff is great but makes an awful lot of noise. As to why a home user would be attacked, it's probably infected/zombied pcs being used to scan random ip addresses.

I've noticed a major slowdown in net surfing lately, websites are slow to respond whilst download speeds are as quick as ever.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.