Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Yamaha 4XV Carb to 5JJ Carb 2002 R1 Transplant
Mezzz

posted on 23/5/06 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
R1 Yamaha 4XV Carb to 5JJ Carb 2002 R1 Transplant

If I was to swap engines from a pre 2001 Yamaha 4XV to a newer 2002 to 2005 R1 5(forget the other 2 letters)

Could I use the same wiring loom and just rip the old engine out and drop the new one in ? I have had one person say yes one say no!

Apparently you just need to use the Clocks from the 2002 engine and the ECU or something :p

So would/should it be possible to do a quick and simple swap from a pre 2001 to a 2002 on engine? Hope that makes sense

[Edited on 23/5/06 by Mezzz]

Mezzz

posted on 23/5/06 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry forgot to say the 2002 on, engine would be Carb (the one I am thinking of getting)

As is the 4XV one currently in the car (per 2001) is the one that I want to get rid of

zxrlocost

posted on 23/5/06 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
I didnt think you had a car yet
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

richijenkin

posted on 23/5/06 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
5JJ ?
not sure bout the loom but you'll need different clocks, even though the plugs are the same.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 23/5/06 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
5PW

I don't think so, the head is different from carb to injection so I dont think the carbs will fit, although I believe the heads are a straight swap so that's an option I guess (search the DSR Forum as several of the US racers have done this so they can run flat slide carbs on the newer engine).

Also the sump is deeper on the injected engine so as JimG found out, you might need to modify engine mountings otherwise it will be too low (and then also need to look at where the exhaust manifold moves to etc) although I have a hunch that the sumps are also a straight swap so that could sort that issue out.

All in all though, not a totally straighforward swap, and thats without looking into the other possible issues like incompatible sensors etc.

cheers

Chris

[Edited on 23/5/06 by ChrisGamlin]

Pezza

posted on 23/5/06 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
You'd probably need a new cradle, when I ordered mine from MK they asked whether it was carbed or injected, so I assume there must be some difference in mounting, if only height issues.
Ben

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

Mezzz

posted on 23/5/06 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I will edit the pervious post in question

The engine in there is A 4XV

The engine I want to put in is a 5JJ(if thats right) Carb (not injection)

The cradle should be the same. Its just the looms and clocks that I am thinking about.

The most important thing is that both engines are carbs (I dont really want injection) its more about if the Loom's are the same. As if they are not then its a big job . But if both require same loom and perhaps diffrent clocks then is a small job

And yes no car yet but with a little luck by the weekend should have one (but I want to replace the engine dont ask why)

Winston Todge

posted on 23/5/06 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Why do you want to change the 4XV for a 5JJ!?

Has the 4XV blown up?

The difference is entirely negligible...

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mezzz

posted on 23/5/06 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
The 4XV is on the blink and I dont know how long it will last
Winston Todge

posted on 23/5/06 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
On the blink?

Wassup?

Chris.

Mezzz

posted on 23/5/06 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure yet whats wrong with it .

So I think what im going to do is get a 5JJ drop it in and at some point in time fix the 4VX or send it to yorkshire engines

[Edited on 24/5/06 by Mezzz]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 24/5/06 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
It wont be a 2002 engine as the 5JJ carb engine was 2000/2001, the 5PW injected engine came along for 2002, so make sure you're getting what you think you're getting

Mezzz

posted on 24/5/06 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
sorry then it would be the 2000 and 2001 Carb.

But the most important thing is would it be the same loom!

ChrisGamlin

posted on 24/5/06 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Pass

tks

posted on 24/5/06 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
if you want to swap

and need to buy the engine? wy then you just don't buy the same lump again...???

if they are both so similar i don't think one will last longer as the other, if they don't are similiar you would have more work to do.

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

smart51

posted on 24/5/06 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
A replacement 4XV engine would be a bit cheaper than a 5JJ too, and you wouldn't have to replace the clocks, or the ECU.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.