Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 4XV Clocks work with Temp Sender?
Winston Todge

posted on 24/5/06 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
R1 4XV Clocks work with Temp Sender?

Hey all,

Trying to sort out whether using some standard R1 4XV clocks, I'll be able to use the temperature readout on it? Shown below...

Is it a case of fitting a temperature sender (marked number 3 in the picture below) and then plumbing in the relevant part of the R1 loom?

How much is a new one from Yamaha?

And has anyone done this before? Piccies?

Thanks for any help,

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zxrlocost

posted on 24/5/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
h mate bit baffled with what you mean
I have all that setup and it works out of the tin

the r1 clocks with a white dial look fantastic temp works perfect

Id imagine if you put the temp sender in a different rad as long as you wire it up itll work

PS the r1 rad comes on at 106'

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Winston Todge

posted on 25/5/06 at 05:50 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, maybe I didn't explain it very clearly...

I've got myself a Polo radiator and a fan temp switch mounted in there. This doesn't work as a temperature sender for the R1 clocks does it?

What I'm trying to do is hook up the fan temp switch in the polo rad and then mount the temperature sender, somewhere, from the R1 radiator to allow the clocks to display water temperature.

Is this possible?

Do I need to use the R1 loom that connects to this temperature sender?

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 25/5/06 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
I have got the 4XV clocks and the original temperature sensor. on a 4XV the thermostat switch and sensor are seperate. The temperature sender for the clocks has a 10mm fine pitched thread so you will need to have a tapped hole on your pipes somewhere, or you could do what I did.

I have a very short 10mm tee on my coolant pipe and I have put the sensor in there. I have a rubber hose over the whole thing that is clamped to the 10mm thread and the tee.

Put the sensor before the thermostat if you want sensible readings. the R1 has it after the stat normally and it can lead to very low readings if the engine is hot but the thermostat is more or less closed.

zxrlocost

posted on 25/5/06 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
yes youll be able to make it work but will need the r1 loom id say
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

zxrlocost

posted on 25/5/06 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Id suppose as long as youve got a temp sender connected to the r1 loom doesn tmatter what temp sender itll read it

Winston Todge

posted on 25/5/06 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that!

Just curious as to whether the R1 temperature sender varies its resistance with temperature and if so what values at what temperatures!?

Do all temp senders work on the same scale?

I'd be surprised?

Chris.

zxrlocost

posted on 26/5/06 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
to much time letting your brain work overload and not enough time just trying it

dont worry I had the same mental problem building mine..

chris

Winston Todge

posted on 26/5/06 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for that informative post. Amazing how you got that info!? Did you get both senders and test them?

Also very interested to know about using the 00/01 clocks on 99 motor. I would much prefer to use the 00 clocks as I reckon they look a little nicer...

Any chance you have any piccies of your setup? What other things have to be modified to run the 00 clocks on the 4XV?

Thanks for any info...

Chris.

s1dd0ns

posted on 26/5/06 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi - first post but I hope this helps

I think you will find that temperature senders are matched to the meter that they supply. The senders for the 98/99 R1 are not the same resistance as the 00/01 R1

98/99 R1 Temperature sender resistance
47.5 ~ 56.8 ohms at 80 °C
16.5 ~ 20.5 ohms at 115 °C

00/01 R1 Temperature sender resistance
9.7 ~ 11.4 kohms at 50°C
3.4 ~ 4.0 kohms at 80°C
1.6 ~ 1.9 kohms at 105°C
1.1 ~ 1.2 kohms at 120°C

I found this because I am using 99 R1 engine and radiator with 00/01 meter

Sorry about the ohms sign in the first post. Cut and paste mess up

[Edited on 27/5/06 by s1dd0ns]

s1dd0ns

posted on 26/5/06 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
The resistance values are from the R1 manuals.

To use the 00/01 clocks on the 98/99 means wiring mods to stop the rpm fault codes but if you are confident the mods are as follows

Use the 00/01 temp sender

98/99 meter plug has green/yellow wire used for fuel fault to ignitor - Earth this wire because the same connector (green/black) on the 00/01 meter uses this connection to earth the rad fan relay based on the rad temp (98/99 uses separate thermo switch for rad fan)

98/99 ignitor plug has green/yellow wire which is the fuel level fault from the original meter this connection should be Earthed thro a 100 ohm resistor to stop the fuel fault code to the meter

The fuel fault on the 00/01 meter is taken from the fuel sensor so if you do not use a sensor this wire needs earthing thro a 1k ohm approx resistor

Im with you I think the 00/01 clocks are better looking and with the above they do work the only thing is that the 00/01 temp sender will not fit the 98/99 rad unless you use an adaptor (different threads)
I modded the 98/99 sender with a new thermistor but I dont have the specs for this at hand I think I got it from RS but I cant find the paperwork

Winston Todge

posted on 26/5/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Great! They sound like simple mods! The kit fund is created though the day job as an electronics techie...

Is the connector on the back of the 5JJ clocks the same as the 4XV? i.e. A direct fitment?

As for temp senders I may just use the 5JJ sender as I have to drill a coolant hose to mount this anyway.

When you say meter plug, you mean the plug that goes in the back of the clocks? And the ignitor plug?

Thanks mate,

Chris.

s1dd0ns

posted on 27/5/06 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Yes the connector on both clocks are the same

I looked at my post and it was a bit confusing but this is the way I did it

Find the green/yellow wire in the loom at the clocks end and cut it leaving you with two ends one goes to the clocks one goes into the loom and back to the ignitor

The end which goes to the clocks is connected to earth/chassis

The end which goes into the loom is connected to earth/chassis through a 100 ohm (1w) resistor

This way you do not need to touch the ignitor end and if you need to fit the older clocks at some time you can remove the earths and splice the green/yellows

You will need to fit a resistor in place of the fuel sensor (approx 1k ohms)

Also you must fit the EXUP motor to the loom or you will get a fault code

Im no expert on this stuff I found most of the info on R1 forums on the web but my 99R1 engine is running with 00/01 clocks with no fault codes

Hope this helps

Winston Todge

posted on 5/7/06 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
s1dd0ns - Is there any chance you came across the paperwork for the thermistor you got from RS? How can you replace the thermistor in the sender? Split it and epoxy a new one in?

Did you get this info from R1 Forums?

Any help'd be good,

Chris.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.