Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hammerite curing time?
Browser

posted on 7/6/06 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Hammerite curing time?

I've painted some bits for me towbar with spray-on Hammerite and it's well touch-dry, having had about 8 hours drying now (good things night shifts ). Does anyone know how long I'm supposed to leave it before trying to bolt it onto the car i.e. when does it go fully hard please? I've used Hammerite in the past, left it a couple of days after application but it still seems to get dinged awfully easily when being assembled with other bits.

flak monkey

posted on 7/6/06 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
About 2 months i think to fully cure. Weird stuff is hammerite. Shove the bits in the oven on a low temp for an hour, that will cure it...

David

Edited to say: chassis black is the way forward. Relatively cheap (mine was £6/litre) and dries quickly to leave a hard and tough finish. Was recommended by several on here and I am about to repaint my wishbones with it after using it for my de dion.

[Edited on 7/6/06 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

MikeRJ

posted on 7/6/06 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
When fully cured Hammerite chips very easily as it is very hard and brittle, which is why it's not generaly recommended for painting chassis and wishbones etc.
trikerneil

posted on 7/6/06 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Wish I'd known that before I painted my frame

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 7/6/06 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
If you use the aerosol spray hammerite, it tends not to chip as much.
zxrlocost

posted on 7/6/06 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with the above comments I hand painted some parts and the stuff just flakes off

even after perefectly cleaning items

hammerite out the spray is a lot better

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

RazMan

posted on 7/6/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
I found that one coat by brush, then a second by aerosol works well - good thick coverage and no brush marks.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 7/6/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hammerite is designed to be painted over scaled (wire brushed rusty steel), it has virtually no self etching properties, it is total useless on anything else.

It cures by absorbing moisture from the atmosphere and does this very slowly (it dries by the solvent flashing off in about 3 hours, but this must not be confused with curing which is a permanent chemical change). the cure takes place from the outside in, and if you overcoat it while this process is taking place, the inner part of the coat will never cure and you will end up with a sandwich effect of cured and uncured paint, which is a bit of a bugger!

A good product for what it was designed for, but no use for anything else

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.