Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blade 893 Engine replacement question
mkblade1

posted on 13/6/06 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Blade 893 Engine replacement question

Hi guys, hope this is not too daft a question.

I have a 893 Blade engine (not sure what year maybe a 92, in an Indy) and was wondering, if I purchase any other carb / normal aspirated blade engine, would they be a straight swaps or will I need to replace exhuast mainfolds / loom or other parts, because of changes on different years?

I understand the injection models would not be staright swaps.

Thanks Jason

Lightning

posted on 13/6/06 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I did a direct replacement from a 92 to 95 engine with no mods

Steve

mkblade1

posted on 13/6/06 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, Can you tell me what the cc's are for both the engines and sorry to make you repeat your answer but, did you not need to change the coils or ECU, it was just straight swap of the engine.

92 - 893?

95 - 918?

Thanks again Jason

[Edited on 13/6/06 by mkblade1]

MAB

posted on 13/6/06 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Jason, - yours is an 893 engine. From the engine number you will be able to tell the exact year from the table in the front of the Haynes Fireblade manual.

The carbed engines from I think 96 onwards were 919cc.

It would be a straight swap for another 95 or earlier 893 engine.

For a later 919cc engine again it should be a relatively easy swap, you wouldn't have to replace the exhaust or the whole loom, but the CDI/ECU will probably be different as the carbs will have a throttle position sensor etc.

Mark

[Edited on 13/6/06 by MAB]

mkblade1

posted on 13/6/06 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mark, I wanted to be sure, as I am watching for any engines that come up cheap.

I have a few minor worries and may take the engine out to rectify - a small leak from ring gear / mag side cover, can not get cover off with engine in the car. Ouput shaft has the smallest trickle.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 13/6/06 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
The only significant differences between the 893s and 919s (ie all the carb engines from '92-'99) is obviously the displacement increase, plus 3D throttle mapping on the later engines and the gear selector shaft works in reverse on later engines (cant remember exactly when it changed, 96 I think).

Your current carbs / CDI / loom will work on a later engine, you just dont have the 3D mapping that way but its negligible benefit anyway, so the only real hurdle is having to modify your gear selector linkage so it reverses the throw.

Clutch baskets / plates et are also changed throughout that period pretty much year on year, but unless you've spent loads on a Barnett clutch etc then its not really an issue.

Chris

mkblade1

posted on 13/6/06 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chris, thats is useful info. I will try and find 95 or earlier and keep it simple.

Jason

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.