Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis Stiffening
miserableoldgit

posted on 28/6/06 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis Stiffening

Has anybody tried this ?

I'm modifying a Pre-lit Westfield to take an RV8. The engine is no problem, cut out the "R" tube and inserted a couple of "Y" braces (all be it a bit shortened).

But the LT77 gearbox housing is f*^&ing humongous and has eaten up a lot of the footwell space for both passenger and driver.

I've solved most of it by shifting a few of the tubes (as I understand it the tunnel ads very little to the strength of the overall chassis), but would like to add a bit of stiffness back by way of triangulation.

Room is at a premium (should have started with a better donar or built from scratch - too late now); but am I correct in thinking that a triangle of any kind is still a triangle no matter what it is made out off?

I can't get any more tubes in, but I might just be able to get some wires!!

Any thoughts?

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young

JoelP

posted on 28/6/06 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
the transmission tunnel doesnt have much affect on chassis twist, compared to the sides of the car (the tunnel is too close to the axis of twist down the middle of the car) but it is more equal in terms of bending front to back (ie pressing down in the middle).

Myself i wouldnt bother with spokes etc cos i dont know sod all about them! Id just weld 13mm 16g tubes in as X's in all squares, and make it all fit round the box.

DIY Si

posted on 28/6/06 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'd try/do this..
Balls, it's too big. Do a search for cytriks. He did a full fea evaluation and how to strengthen it all.

[Edited on 28/6/06 by DIY Si]

miserableoldgit

posted on 28/6/06 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis Stiffening

Its just a thought.

Afterall the old biplanes like the Fairie Swordfish and the Sopworth Camel didn't do too bad with this form of technology.

And how many bike wheels collapse?

Chippy

posted on 28/6/06 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
I would think that if you can get all that radio mast support gear into the space, then you could easily get some 12mm RHS in instead, and that would work. Alternatively you could just weld a plate over that area, I believe that would be classed as triangulation, (of a type). Chippy
miserableoldgit

posted on 28/6/06 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis Stifness

Plate is an alternative, but damned heavy compaired to a bit of wire.

Once you have the crush strength of the 25 x 25 x 16swg tube, the rest is just stiffness - no matter how it is acheived.

I could get in some thin tube or rod, but surely tensioned wire is a much more elegant solution?

DIY Si

posted on 28/6/06 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
The only problem is not having the compression strength of having a tube/bar. Fine in tension, as the wire is already there, but once that tension goes you've just got wires flappping around.
robertst

posted on 29/6/06 at 02:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Fine in tension, as the wire is already there, but once that tension goes you've just got wires flappping around.

imho, why bother with trying to balance all tensions and regularly stiffening them back together if lengths of RHS do the same (if not a better) job?

the secret behind wheel spokes and them not collapsing is that each spoke supports the other and when one fails, the rest are prone to fail soon enough.

i think this is why spokes were replaced with cast iron, then alloy, in cars. its just too cumbersome to balance and true out a wheel with spokes.

Tom

locostv8

posted on 29/6/06 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
Look at the Aussie mods. http://locost7.info/mirror/aussiemods.php

This is what I suggested to someone who had a 302 in a LC. The tunnel can be a structural member by making it a tube. Get a stick of 1x.5x14 gauge hrs. Replace the floor pan with 16 gauge steel if alloy and fully weld. plate the top rail from firewall to front suspension with the tube and stitch weld, do the same on the bottom of the bottom rail all the way to the rear sandwitching the floor pan. Install a down tube from the roll bar, it does have a roll bar, to the firewall/floorpan. Though this is a bit of work it should considerably stiffen the chassis with out adding too much weight.

[Edited on 29/6/06 by locostv8]

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery2/v/7slotgrille/hssss/

russbost

posted on 29/6/06 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Use tube rather than wire/bar. It will still add stifness but weighs next to nothing

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.