Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blade engine problems
Flick

posted on 29/6/06 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
Blade engine problems

Just finished locost with 98 blade engine. Doesnt seem as fast as ones ive been in before and as revs get upto 6k car starts jerking back and forth. Dont seem to be able to get above 7k at all. Took it out today and will not go above 70 mph. Just wondered if anyone had come across this before. Probably a daft question and hope this is just something simple (with a bit of luck) but any help would be appreciated - Thanks
alister667

posted on 29/6/06 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
Are you running it with the original airbox on?

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Flick

posted on 29/6/06 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
No - just borrowed some sock filters and put them on for now as airbox wouldnt fit under bonnet without cutting (had the bonnet on floor and powerfile in hand but just couldnt do it)
alister667

posted on 29/6/06 at 01:10 AM Reply With Quote
If running without the airbox you will need to adjust jet size.
To confirm this is the problem, fit the airbox and go for a quick run without the bonnet to see if the problem goes away.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisf

posted on 29/6/06 at 03:03 AM Reply With Quote
This may sound crazy, but a similar issue happened to me. On mine, the tachometer read only half the revs and I bounced off the rev limiter when I got around 6.5K rpms.

--HTH, Chris

Hellfire

posted on 29/6/06 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
Unusual - did you get a chance to hear the engine running beforehand and was it ok?

Typically it's the wiring that's at fault as 'blade engines twin spark to gain maximum power/efficiency. Check the wiring to the coils and test the sparks externally on the engine block to confirm this is correct. Check your battery state as this is very important... 'blade engines always like a new set of plugs too when they have been 'wet'.

HTH - Steve

the_fbi

posted on 29/6/06 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
There's that vacuum connection under the carb for cylinder 3 which will cause lean running on 1 cylinder, not sure if having it unblocked would cause this much lack in performance though.

Revcounter only reading half wouldn't account for a top speed of only 70mph.

You got the choke cable wired up, or the lever fixed in the off position? Any chance your running choke and very rich?

MAB

posted on 29/6/06 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Flick,

Had exactly the same problem on 2 blade car's I've built. Not running the standard airbox won't help, but you should be able to fix it by the 'old cocktail stick trick'

ie - blocking up one of the 3 air holes on the top of each of the carbs. I think it is the bottom one but I will check tonight and let you know which ones as I can't remember right now... You can very easily just block them up with the end of pop rivets...

From what you describe, it sounds exactly the same symptoms.

Mark

alister667

posted on 29/6/06 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MAB
Flick,

Had exactly the same problem on 2 blade car's I've built. Not running the standard airbox won't help, but you should be able to fix it by the 'old cocktail stick trick'

ie - blocking up one of the 3 air holes on the top of each of the carbs. I think it is the bottom one but I will check tonight and let you know which ones as I can't remember right now... You can very easily just block them up with the end of pop rivets...

From what you describe, it sounds exactly the same symptoms.

Mark

We wound up blocking the middle one and upping the main jets to 132. It's the same mod Stuart Taylor did to their modified carbs to allow them to run without the airbox. Apparently.

Howlor

posted on 29/6/06 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Any Pics
ChrisGamlin

posted on 29/6/06 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Almost certainly running lean I would say, due to lack of airbox and not re-jeting as others have mentioned.

watsonpj

posted on 29/6/06 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Mine did the same at first once I fitted a dynojet kit it was fine and pulling right up to the red.
alister667

posted on 29/6/06 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'm afraid I don't have pictures of it at hand, and my folks have my digital camera.
Sorry.

For what it's worth the engine runs very well on that mod and no bonnet butchery required!

Howlor

posted on 29/6/06 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
When I take off the short trumpets I have 4 brass jets below the main inlet. One far left then 3 together on the right. Two at the top and one in the middle below these two. Which one should I block off? I will take a picture tonight.

thanks,
Steve

alister667

posted on 29/6/06 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
I *believe* it's the middle one of the three. Does anyone else know for sure? It's been a while since I did this and I'd like a second opinion!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.