Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 no spark :( (It sparks now)
speed8

posted on 6/7/06 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
R1 no spark :( (It sparks now)

Been trying to get the engine running after a while of not doing anything and I still can't get a spark.

Engine turns over fine, fuel pump primes, relays click, but no spark.

We did find something unusual in that we have 12V on both wires at the ignition switch (The blue/black and blue/yellow). We don't think this is right or else what is the point in connecting them together.

The earth's for the ECU are grounded and everything seems fine except my clutch switch which is wired up right but doesn't seem to work. The neutral switch can bypass the need for that though.

Any ideas. All the old threads just say make sure the earths are ok but they are all fine.

ETA: Should probably add that it's an 03R1

[Edited on 7/6/06 by speed8]

[Edited on 7/8/06 by speed8]

zxrlocost

posted on 6/7/06 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
have you got the original key and ign mate
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

speed8

posted on 6/7/06 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
No, don't have that. Why?
amalyos

posted on 6/7/06 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem, on my 2000 5JJ. If you don't have the original ignition switch, there is a connection to one of the black cycleloc cables on the ignition switch plug, that needs closing. this sends a signal to the ECU. Mine worked fine once this had been looped.
This is assuming you are running the same model.

Steve.

zxrlocost

posted on 6/7/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
my r1 wiring diagram showed certain coloured wires and It ended up being totally different colours

ie blue/black-blue /yellow

but in fact blue/yellow was the feed for the parking lights which would also be 12v permanent

so one of the other wires were the cut off wire

I can check tomorrow if you want

ta chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

speed8

posted on 6/7/06 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
If you could check that would be great but I'm fairly certain that all the wires go to the correct places.

I'm just a little confused as to why there is 12V from the ECU on the blue/black and also 12V on the blue/yellow from the clutch switch. These are the two wires that should be shorted together at the ignition switch.

kev R1

posted on 6/7/06 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
have you sorted out the cyclelock? i had the same prob but hours of fiddling around with black wires sorted it!
yorkshire-engines

posted on 6/7/06 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy
there are 2 blue/yellow wires in 03 loom 1 comes directly from the ecu and should be live it feeds into the multi function switch
the other one should only become live when connected to the blue/black from ignition it runs to sidestand switch and multi function switch
im gonna go to mac 1 tomorrow ill have a shufties when i get there
cheers malc

speed8

posted on 6/7/06 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'll see you down there Malc, I'll be there myself trying to get the bugger going.

I've got a couple of ideas after wading through the wiring diagram again.

I think the blue/yellow are ok but I'm starting to wonder about the cyclelock connector that was already fitted on the loom. I'll check it tomorrow.

progers

posted on 7/7/06 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
The problem you have is normally down to a lack of earth going to the CdI unit, I can send you a document of the CDI pinout that describes the function of each pin and what needs to be done to get everything working.

E-mail me at progers63@btopenworld.com

Cheers

Paul

speed8

posted on 8/7/06 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Took the blue/black direct to ground and it sparks so I guess I have a couple of bad diodes in the cutoff relay.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.