Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis painting...
Liam

posted on 1/5/03 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis painting...

Right - fast comming to the stage where I want to paint my chassis. I was originally planning on getting it blasted then powder coated but this is gonna work out very expensive. So I think I'm gonna spend hours going over it with a wire brush attatchment/wet and dry then paint it myself. This way I can cover it now and stop further rust and still rub bits away to weld anything on i've forgotten later, and touch up the paint.

I just read the earlier thread about chassis painting and will ponder over the various options - etcher, red oxide primer, tractol etc etc. But before I spend ages getting back to good clean metal, am i right assuming all these options require clean metal completely free of surface rust? My surface rust comes off easy but it's all over the chassis and will take yonks to remove (but is strangely satisfying to do).

Also, what's the difference between stuff like etcher, red oxide, rust preventative primer, the grey primer you can buy at halfords, etc etc?

And finally, if i decide i want something 'proper' heavy duty like Tractol or POR15 does anyone know of any suppliers?

Thanks very much,

Liam

[Edited on 1/5/03 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Viper

posted on 1/5/03 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
I would definatly get it blasted not only will it get rid off all the rust etc incuding all the fiddely bits but will also give a realy good key for whatever paint you use, there is a guy on elstow storage depot that is pretty cheap...i got a feeling he is called mid beds blasting or something like that..
Tractol..isnt that synthetic enamel, any paint shop should be able to supply it, i am sure MK paint and equiptment sell it. i have used smoothrite on my wishbones and had my chassis powder coated localy.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 1/5/03 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I think that must be the guy I spoke too. I said "Yeah ya know - like a westfield chassis" and he said "probably looking at about 120 quid". Probably very reasonable (and it's the only place I've found locally) and would save lots of hassle for me - but it's still pricey if you're my level of poor. Hmmm, dunno.

I found a local powder coating place but they didn't have a clue what i meant when i tried to describe the chassis. They said about 40 quid, which seems extremely cheap, but I think that may go up when they see it (considering MK engineering quote 176 quid to get it done). Unless you know of anywhere...

Liam

Viper

posted on 1/5/03 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
that blasting does sound a lot,
i think i paid £100 for my powder coating a one man band outfit on water eaton ind est over here in MK, i know a guy who does blasting i can have a word next time i see him if you like he is over papworth way.

theconrodkid

posted on 1/5/03 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
i found hammerite chips too easy,i used red lead then house hold gloss on top,just cant find a bright enuf yellow

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Jasper

posted on 1/5/03 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
I've used Tractol and think it's pretty sh*t, but then maybe I didn't put it on very well, seems to hip very easily.

I'm gonna get some paint on liguid rubber stuff from B&Q (used for roofing) to do the underside of chassis and wings to protect it more.

Liam

posted on 1/5/03 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the thoughts...

Righty ho - say I either get it blasted or clean the rust of myself. Either way I think I will paint it instead of powder coating for cheapness and the ability to touch it up as need be.

So - is standard grey spray primer from somewhere like halfords decent or do I want something a bit more special like an etch primer or red oxide or something? What exactly is red oxide anyway?

Cheers,

Liam

PaulBuz

posted on 1/5/03 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Liam
I was in a similar situation myself recently.
It was'nt so much the cost of blasting ,but more of a transportation one!
Anyway I used 'the tool' everyone talks of in my grinder over the whole chassis, then used a small wire brush to get into those harder to reach places.
Then cleaned it down with white spirt.
I painted it with hammerites 'rust beater' primer.
This primer can be used directly onto rusty metal as it actively kills rust.
Although I would'nt say that my chassis was rusty after the treatment described above, it does give peace of mind in case I missed a bit!
2 thick coats and voila!

[Edited on 1/5/03 by PaulBuz]

kiwirex

posted on 1/5/03 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Liam says:
> So - is standard grey spray primer from somewhere like halfords decent or do I want something a bit more special ...

My unhelpful suggestion...
If you're just painting pipes ... wouldn't a brush be better?

- Greg H

stephen_gusterson

posted on 1/5/03 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
I like conrod also used household gloss with a suitable household gloss metal primer.

The frame was totally rust free and was buillt with clean steel and remained indoors. Its a good idea to paint asap cos moisture can get to it from the air. thats why an easy touch up paint is useful as you add / tweak things.

The logic I used wasthe final car is only gonna do about 3k a year, and not in the wet by choice.

Once you panel the car you will be suprised how little of the chassis is left viewable anyway. The underneath is more important and there is always underseal for that if your gonna drive in all weathers.

The gloss finish is quite good, it costs only 10 quid, and once hard after a month or so you wouldnt know it from any other paint. Its also easy to touch up again if you add little welded extras on.

atb

steve

[Edited on 1/5/03 by stephen_gusterson]

sg_frost
Builder

Posts 104
Registered 6/11/02

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roaster in college with students, gulp!

posted on 2/5/03 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
I used zinc primer as i went. The added bonus that it kills rust, and can be welded through. very handy stuff. Problem though, brush painted some bits, tried to flat it down, and the stuff is hard as nails after a while. Good stuff, expensive at £15 a litre though, called zinc 182, would use it again.
merkurman

posted on 2/5/03 at 01:31 AM Reply With Quote
being a ex painter supplier....

I would wire brush most of all the rust off. you can leave the discolored spots on the steel. next wipe it all down with some lacquer thinner then wax/grease remover. then use a small touch -up spray gun dialed down to a small pattern (3" range) to spray on som eself ectching primer (will cover real good). follow up with your prefered automotive paint in the same gun and setup (very little waste this way) let cure for a week or so to get a nice hard finish.

or

wire wheel it clean and wipe it down as above then paint with a 2 part epoxy paint ($$$$) just as hard as powder and can be done at home.

if I ever make a chassis I will go route 1.

nick

Peteff

posted on 2/5/03 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Zinc 128

I've used that as well and for several different projects. You can thin it with cheap cellulose thinner and put a couple of coats on and it lasts a lot longer, and it doesn't leave brush marks that way. I used Joy enamel from B&Q for the top coat. Cheap and easy to touch up, not me the paint.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

theconrodkid

posted on 3/5/03 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
i got some REAL bright yellow for my chassis today,most of it is on the floor of b&q near the checkout but i saved enuf to do the chassis i think

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

ChrisW

posted on 3/5/03 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to say the same!!

re: blasting and coating - a complete blast and powder coat for my Luego+12+8+6 chassis cost £195.

There's a local guy who'll blast small bits for the price of a drink eg front hubs cost me a tenner. £100 just for the blasting sounds a little steep to me!

BTW nothing against your chassis (or painting skils ) Jasper but seeing the way the oil spillage effected the Tractol under your ECU I wouldn't use it myself.

Chris

quote:
Originally posted by kiwirex
Liam says:
> So - is standard grey spray primer from somewhere like halfords decent or do I want something a bit more special ...

My unhelpful suggestion...
If you're just painting pipes ... wouldn't a brush be better?

- Greg H

My gaff my rules

Jumpy Guy

posted on 25/6/03 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Where do i get Zinc 128?

cant seem to find it anywhere!
simontiger

posted on 25/6/03 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
primer

Hi the best stuff is davids zinc primer which is gray and will take any type of top coat
I have used it on my chassis and then gave it a 2 coats of white primer as the finish colour of my locost is day glow yellow

Regards

Zinc 128 halfords sell it its a yellow and black tin avalable in 4 sizes

Simon

Ps If its good enough for Ferrari its good enough for me!!!!!

[Edited on 25/6/03 by simontiger]

greggors84

posted on 25/6/03 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ive ordered my chassis from MK, Im planning on spraying the chassis, wishbones and uprights with hammerite from a spray can.

What prep work will i need to do for each of these. Im guessing the uprights and other donor components given a good cleaning.

How much will shot blasting be for the uprights and do they need to be primed before being sprayed.

[Edited on 25/6/03 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Mark Allanson

posted on 25/6/03 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
The only prepwork required before using hammerite is a frontal lobotomy.

The only results you will get is a nasty headache, weeks of regret as you painfully remove the useless deposits by hand

craig1410

posted on 25/6/03 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed, do some searching on this forum for hammerite and you will find nothing but complaints. It doesn't set to a hard finish is the main gripe. Many people advocate Dulux weathershield as a good topcoat and it looks like zinc primer gets the vote here for an undercoat. My main tip would be to use thin layers so that it sets properly. This isn't a problem if spraying but can be if brushing. Etch primer is worth considering too.

Cheers,
Craig.

blueshift

posted on 25/6/03 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
What about protecting one's chassis from rusting on the inside? you can try and weld plates over all the ends, but there are going to be all those rivet and bolt holes..

anyone know any tricks?

Alan B

posted on 26/6/03 at 01:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blueshift
What about protecting one's chassis from rusting on the inside? you can try and weld plates over all the ends, but there are going to be all those rivet and bolt holes..

anyone know any tricks?

Seal the ends as well as you can...then stop worrying...

andyps

posted on 26/6/03 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
would the type of expanding foam used for sealing gaps around pipework in houses work to seal the ends of the tubes to stop the insides rusting?

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

kingr

posted on 26/6/03 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Well, yes probably initially, but why not just weld small plates over the ends and have done with it?

Kingr

kingr

posted on 26/6/03 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I suppose if you're particularly paranoid, you could put waxoyl or dinitrol or whatever down them.

Kingr

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.