Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: low cost suspension solution
kaizokuace

posted on 27/7/06 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
low cost suspension solution

is there one? do i have to dish out the $$$ for adjustable coilover dampers? is there another option? is it possible to make an adjustable spring perch separate from the shocks? this might be cheaper since shocks are usually cheaper and springs are cheaper when the 2 arent the same unit. someone please let me know that what i want can be done because my wallet is crying
JAG

posted on 27/7/06 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
It has been done before.

If I remember correctly the process is to get some Austin Mini dampers and weld spring seats to the body and then fit your springs over the top. Hence making coil-over-oil damper units. Do a search on the internet and I'm sure you'll find details

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

kaizokuace

posted on 27/7/06 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
thanx, as long as i know its possible then i can do it, i am just worried about messing up the damper from the welding heat
John Bonnett

posted on 27/7/06 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
If I remember correctly the process is to get some Austin Mini dampers and weld spring seats to the body and then fit your springs over the top. Hence making coil-over-oil damper units. Do a search on the internet and I'm sure you'll find details

I've been wanting to move the spring seats on a pair of 205gti struts but have been afraid to in case of damage to the shock absorber or me!

Does anyone reckon this can be done?

John

MustangSix

posted on 27/7/06 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
In hindsight, I think I might have used a coil spring kit from Speedway Motors instead of coilovers. It's a common configuration on light weight hot rods. By bolting the upper to the chassis, you could make it somewhat adjustable. $120 Just add shocks.

rash

posted on 27/7/06 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
shockers

i made some adjustable height platform shockers from some standard mini front shockers
if you buy the quinten hazell brand the top eye screws off enabling you to make some threaded sleeves and top mount plates for the springs

[Edited on 27/7/06 by rash] Rescued attachment rear shockers.JPG
Rescued attachment rear shockers.JPG

ZEN

posted on 28/7/06 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Take a look here http://www.georgecushing.net/Cheapo.html

My YouTube channel Cars, bikes - track days, motorsport, sim racing and more.

kaizokuace

posted on 28/7/06 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
thanx for the info guys, i will confidently devise some coilovers! for cheap! My goal is to make this car for as little as possible, especially since my friend is giving me the engine for free i can drive the price down a lot. Now that i can make the coilovers for cheap the most expensive part of the car is probably going to be the fuel cell.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.