Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Polo / Golf alloy radiators - which have same H&W?
Chris.B

posted on 12/8/06 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Polo / Golf alloy radiators - which have same H&W?

I am somewhat confused on this.

From my research it seems that some folks say a Golf radiator (Vw # 171121253CJ) is the DIRECT replacement for a Polo radiator, with pretty much the same width (470mm) & height (320mm) as the Polo rad, but the Golf has more cores.

However in some searches though people say that the Golf radiator is wider (530mm).

I'm looking for a deeper (ie more cores) radiator to replace my leaking Polo one & that will still fit in the nosecone - but don't know which one to go for! Would like more cores since following power increase it's borderline on cooling. Has now been forced on me today @ Combe when Polo rad started leaking - caused by the fan mountings rubbing through a core pipe! Won't make that mistake again

planetester

posted on 12/8/06 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I think all the VW radiators of that age were the same hieght, I got this data base from someone on the internet(thanks to whoever) & all the valeo part numbers are links to buypartsby.com
Chris.B

posted on 12/8/06 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent - that's really useful and gives most of the information I'm after. Next to find out IF the Golf one really is thicker (ie has more cores) than the similar H&W sized Polo one.
planetester

posted on 12/8/06 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Go & look round the scrappers< when you find what you want note the year & model, in the early 80s I think all the rads were the same hieght & thickness so that the end pieces were a common item & they just altered the length of the core to suit, good luck
Chris.B

posted on 13/8/06 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
I'm hoping someone on the forum already runs with a Golf radiator to avoid trapseing round the scrappys

Researching from this very useful Rad sizes DB & elsewhere I've seen that the Polo 1.3 Mk 2 radiator is Valeo part # VAL-883819 here & is 430mm * 322mm. This is the one I have fitted now that's leaking.
From the same site, the Mk 2 Golf 1.6 is VAL-883820 here and the Mk 3 Golf 1.6 is VAL-730503 here. Both of these Golf rads are also 430mm * 322mm but the thickness is not listed. As they are for larger engines than the 1.3 Polo and both have different part numbers I'm hoping that they are thicker.

Does anybody know if there is a Golf radiator with the same width & height that has more cores??

bob

posted on 13/8/06 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Remember the rad measurements listed will be the core size, i had a look at surrey daves rad which is a Mk 1 polo and the core size measures 380 x 322 giving an overall width of almost 450mm.

martyn_16v

posted on 16/8/06 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris.B
Does anybody know if there is a Golf radiator with the same width & height that has more cores??

The mk2 golf 16v has a twin core as opposed to the single layer in all the other mk2 rads, and ETKA (the vw parts catalogue) lists it as the same width as the 1.6 rad you listed in the first post. I've actually got one in the garage at the mo, I can get some overall dimensions off it if you want?

There are wider rads in mk2 golfs, but they're all single core (the 8v GTI and the oil-burners got them). The 1.3, 1.6 and 16v are all listed as 430mm wide though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.