Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: GRRRR!!! suspension mounts all wrong
andrews_45

posted on 16/8/06 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
GRRRR!!! suspension mounts all wrong

I just come to mount my wishbones and the mounting points are in the wrong place. I bought the chassis from a manufacturer so have not checked this before now.

The top ones are not that bad and can fit in (allbe it at a squeeze) but the bottom ones wont fit at all

I will have to cut the bottom ones off and re-weld I know... But will I be ok with the top ones like that?
Ta

PS sorry if the pics a bit confusing my chassis is inverted at the min :-)

DavidM

posted on 16/8/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure it's not the wishbones pulled in when they were welded? Manufacturers usually put the brackets on using a jig.
Looks like a Luego (in a former life) chassis, is it?
Wishbones may spring a bit if you put your foot on one side and pull the other.

Or have I misinterpreted the pictures?

David

Proportion is Everything

Peteff

posted on 16/8/06 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
I will have to cut the bottom ones off and re-weld

You'll only have to do one each side won't you ? The top one looks alright, can you put a threaded bar through both brackets to check the alignment. It has a support web welded to help with it hanging off the tube.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

andrews_45

posted on 16/8/06 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I checked the dimensions and the wishbones are to the correct sizes, the bones are from Luego but a different chassis manufacturer, I'll just have to remove the brackets from one side.
caber

posted on 16/8/06 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Before you do anything I would check the chassis carefully across the diagonals from front to rear suspension pick up points also check length both sides between front and rear points. Dimensions should all be within 4 mm otherwise you have a bent or twisted chassis or more problems with bracket positions. Make sure the chassis is flat i.e. not higher one end or the other and not twisted, if you have a poured concrete garage floor this should be accurate within a few milimeters if still not sure go but a laser level, any cheap one will do and check with that.

Ultimately the suspension points need to be as correct as possible in plan and elevation even if they sit in slightly different positions on the chassis tubes to compensate for bending or twisting of the main frame.

Best of luck! If it is of any compensation I am doing that on my self built chassis right now!

Caber

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.