Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel capacity?
Fred W B

posted on 18/8/06 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel capacity?

How much fuel capacity do you think you need for road and track use? Considering I am using a RV8, I thought I had decided, but now I am having second thoughts, so what is everyone else doing?

Cheers

Fred W B

Hammerhead

posted on 18/8/06 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
maybe finding the capacity of the RV8 engined TVR's will give you a possibility.

Delinquent

posted on 18/8/06 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
asked a similar question elsewhere and got told a multitude of different answers - very different project but probably similar in jiuce drinking.

Most recommended around 8 to 10 gallons for reasonable road use, so I've gone for 2 x 5 gallon tanks.

I looked at a few road car specs from an old civic (9 gallon) up to TVR's (12-15 gallon dependant on model) Some cars I found went as high as 24 gallons but even in my design, which is quite large, I've got no-where to put that amount unless I start putting cans in the passenger seat!

[Edited on 18/8/06 by Delinquent]

Dutchman

posted on 18/8/06 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I think that tank shoud be at least good for 500km or 300miles ... 55-65 liter aproximatly depending on the engine , it is lamy to stop on every hour on gas station ...

Tarzan English with foreign accent!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisj

posted on 18/8/06 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
I settled on a double height tank or 50 litres but use baffles/foam, otherwise you have a dancing fuel guage and a misfire on corners.
gttman

posted on 18/8/06 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
An Ultima has 72L (twin tanks) and I am going for 85L with an option to go 95L if design allows.

My Ultima with its 6.3L SBC could do around 200miles on its tanks, on my GTT I want 3-400miles.

On the other end of the scale my Indy only has around a 20L tank... but then thats only a 1L engine!

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

v8kid

posted on 22/8/06 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Fred,

I have a 2 gallon tank good for about 5 miles tops. Running standard rover v8 on carbs

Cheers

David

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 22/8/06 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Fred,

I have a 2 gallon tank good for about 5 miles tops. Running standard rover v8 on carbs

Cheers

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.