Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: In trouble rebuilding Sierra rear brake calipers
John.Taylor

posted on 30/8/06 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
In trouble rebuilding Sierra rear brake calipers

I'm rebuilding my rear calipers with a new seal kit from Bigg Red (ebay £20) but I can't get the pushrod out of the caliper in order to release the handbrake shaft and renew the seals. I have got to the bit in the Haynes Manual (Chapter 10, Section 7, Point 15) which says...

..."A long thin pair of circlip pliers will now be required to release the key plate retaining circlip from the the caliper bore. With the circlip removed the pushrod and key plate can be pulled out"

I've got the key plate retaining circlip out and the key plate itself, but the pushrod won't pull out. It's loose to wobble about but won't even pull out when I've screwed the piston adjuster nut onto the pushrod and tried pulling it with a pair of pliers. Is there something that I'm missing??

mookaloid

posted on 30/8/06 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
yep, you should have just exchanged them for properly reconditioned ones

Not worth wasting your time with them.

IMHO of course

Cheers

Mark

Chippy

posted on 30/8/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
I may be wrong, but I think you have to take the handbrake lever out to get centre rod out. Its bloody years since I pulled one appart, but that bit rings a bell. Hope that helps. Ray.
John.Taylor

posted on 31/8/06 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
I began to think that this might be the case, but it appears that you have to remove the pushrod in order to rebove the handbrake shaft?
mackei23b

posted on 31/8/06 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Nothing missing, I had that on one of mine, after the circlip is out it should pull out, though the key plate can stick, I used a small precision scew driver to move the key plate to unstick it.

You can use this either at the bottom of the bore by the keyplate, or between the pushrod and the key plate.

Just be carefull not to score the bore where any seals may come into contact, no scoring at all preferable, just a bit of care and patience.

Try taking the other caliper appart, you may find this one releases straight away and you can see how it is designed.

Cheers

Ian

Hope this helps.

John.Taylor

posted on 1/9/06 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
I tried all sorts of things and was ready to chuck the calipers in the bin and buy some reconditioned ones when I decided to have one last all or nothing go. I took the nut out of the piston, screwed it onto the shaft (pushrod according to Heynes) leaving a bit protruding with which to clamp it into the vice, and pulled with all my might. It felt loose so I got a piece of wood and a lump hammer and gave it a good smack after the third hit, bingo, the caliper flew across the work bench! Turns out that the seals were totally shot, trapping the shaft - no wonder the brakes were binding!
NS Dev

posted on 1/9/06 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
yep, you should have just exchanged them for properly reconditioned ones

Not worth wasting your time with them.

IMHO of course

Cheers

Mark

ditto, been there, done that, got the penny wise pound foolish t shirt!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.