Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Can I race with a fibreglass bonnet?
dalefaulkner

posted on 15/5/03 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Can I race with a fibreglass bonnet?

Can any of you racers tell me if it is within regs to use a fibreglass bonnet, my first choice was ally but one has come up so it'll do if I can use it.

Cheers

Dale (im getting there)!

D Beddows

posted on 16/5/03 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
mmmmmm, there would be no performance advantage to having one so most of us wouldn't care BUT it's not 'to the book' so some people might........... as an example of how petty things can become there were mumblings last year that we had put too many rivets in the car thus turning the chassis from a spaceframe into a semi monocoque (!!?!!) - most of those people are no longer involved in Locost racing but I'd stick with an ali bonnet if you can in case they come back

Cheers

Dave

Deckman001

posted on 18/5/03 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Dave , on the subject of eligibility, in the book, I think it says use a screen, racers use an aero screen. Is this 'artistic licence'

Jason

D Beddows

posted on 18/5/03 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
lol - I seem to remember it does actualy say you can use an aeroscreen in the 750MC regs but then to contradict that you've got the reg saying everything has to be standard and 'by the book' - generaly taken to be the first edition btw, so all the cars should realy be a very odd shape due to the errors . It does of course mean that if someones idea of a good day out is to cause mischief it is dead easy ie 'hello Mr Scruitineer have you seen that thing on that car, that wasn't in RRs' book' and you could do that to 99.9% of the cars in the paddock - doesn't happen very often mind and it's all part of the fun (apparently) but is something to bear in mind, especialy at first when you're probably going to have enough problems to deal with without inventing new ones for yourself.

I'm NOT saying everyones cheating by the way it's just impossible to build a good car if you stick entirely to 'the book' and the 750MC regs mean you don't have to if you read them well enough - which a few people don't seem to........

Cheers

Dave (bitter? moi?)

[Edited on 18/5/03 by D Beddows]

dalefaulkner

posted on 19/5/03 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Bonnet

Ok lads,

Ill try and get an ally jobbie.

Thanks.

Shame though cos I can get a fibreglass bonnet easily.

Deckman001

posted on 19/5/03 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Even bigger shame for me !! Iv'e got one
oh well, i didn't want to finnish it anyway

Wasn't having a dig dave, trying to have a larf !! As you say about people not reading the regs properly,, will try harder !!

Jason

D Beddows

posted on 19/5/03 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, I know

As I've said before - you're all welcome to come and have a chat with me at a race meeting about what you need and what you don't - and you're more than welcome to take all the pictures you want of the car should you be that way inclined. Yes we had a few problems at the first couple of races this year (as usual....and me and Mr Townsend aren't getting on very well at the moment either....) but we're both more than willing to give anyone building a car the benefit of our experience in either building or driving one of the damn things

Love them realy.....mmmmm

Dave

Deckman001

posted on 20/5/03 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Dave,I keep missing you at the meets I go to Mind you it was a bit difficult at Brands, I had to say I was picking up some bits from a racer just to be allowed over to see the locosts
Lyddon will be my nxt veiwing,trying to conserve money and brownie points with the wife !!

Jason

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.