Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Terminating copper fuel hose for FI.
the_fbi

posted on 17/9/06 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Terminating copper fuel hose for FI.

Seeing as my prop/RGB isn't yet in, I'm thinking about sticking in a 2nd fuel pipe for the fuel return for when I change to injection.

If I was to drop in another length of 8mm copper, how would I terminate the end in such a way as to cope with the pressure of an EFI system.

Surely I can't just use hose clamps on the rubber hose (over the copper) without any barbs on the copper?

Or should I just put in a stainless overbraided rubber pipe from end to end for the feed and use my old copper for the return (low pressure).

ta
Chris

ady8077

posted on 17/9/06 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

soldering an olive was suggested, see

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=51655

Adrian

MkIndy7

posted on 17/9/06 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
I've got Rubber FI hose thats a tight fit pushed over Copper Fuel pipe with just Jubilee clips on and its held fine.

Not that thats the best or right way to do it but it does withstand the pressure ok.

the_fbi

posted on 17/9/06 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a copper flaring tool, just didn't really think it was the best way of doing it.

No reason I can't just use a decent rubber FI hose from end to end?

MkIndy7

posted on 17/9/06 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Copper is probably cheeper than Rubber or Braided FI hose for doing longer runs, and would need clipping less and be more resistant to any chaffing.
matt_claydon

posted on 17/9/06 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
I've just got hose pushed straight onto 8mm pipe and it's fine. Fore reference, the high pressure inlet on my gsxr 750 fuel rail is also just a plain tube so suzuki must also think it's ok. Try pulling the hose off once the jubillee is done up - bet you can't!
MikeRJ

posted on 17/9/06 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
The return pipe doesn't see any pressure anyway, it's the feed pipe you normaly have to worry about.
the_fbi

posted on 17/9/06 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
The return pipe doesn't see any pressure anyway, it's the feed pipe you normaly have to worry about.

Yes, but I don't have a high pressure feed hose either, as its carbs currently.
So I need to drop a new one in. The new one will be the high pressure, the old carb feed the return.

Chippy

posted on 17/9/06 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I just soldered olives on the ends of all my fuel lines, and it has been totaly secure. But would agree with what others have said, you actualy dont probabley need them, as most manufacturers just fit a straight end, and clips, and they dont come of. Belt and braces mentality. Fit 8mm copper, easier to fit and clip, plus MUCH more Locost. Ray
NS Dev

posted on 18/9/06 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
just to second the others, have used plain copper 8mm pipe MANY times and never had it come off with 65psi fuel pressure.

having said that I have sometimes put a male single flare on in the past (use a 5/16" tool its nearly right) and this give a small "bulb" on the end of the pipe for peace of mind

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

roadboy

posted on 18/9/06 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
I have just used good quality jubilee clips, but doubled up on the clips to be safe. I tested these to 10 bar & they held up OK.
Regds
Ian

Jude Performance Services

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 8/10/06 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I would solder an olive on the end of the copper pipe, then use a suitable rubber fuel pipe (Injection grade) and secure with jubilee clips.
I do not beileve that a pipe secured with just a jubilee type clip and no raised section to stop it sliding off the end is secure enough. A 60psi fuel leak makes a very dangerous flamethrower in you car. Its NOT worth risking it for a 10p olive and 1p's worth of solder and 5 minutes of time.

Even Water pipes on your car have a raised return to stop the pipes popping / sliding off the end of the metal pipe,
IMHO it costs next to nothing to do, and is a major safety issue if it all ges wrong.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Syd Bridge

posted on 8/10/06 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the_fbi
I've got a copper flaring tool, just didn't really think it was the best way of doing it.

No reason I can't just use a decent rubber FI hose from end to end?

If you've got a flaring tool, then go to your local hydraulics place and get a flare nut and the male fitting that the nut screws on to. Put the hose onto the male fitting and screw the lot together for a very neat setup for only a couple of £'s.

Cheers,
Syd.

the_fbi

posted on 8/10/06 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scoobylav
the_fbi for reference we are running the feed and return on our injection in rubber hose for their entire lengths. Much easier to work with than copper pipes.

I've since gone this route. Well, purchased some rubber hose for the complete feed.

Return will be the "old" carb feed which is copper with flexi's at each end.

Just going to stick the rubber in before the rgb and props then leave it for upgrade time.

ta
Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.