Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What is this?
paulbeyer

posted on 17/5/03 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
What is this?

I found this in a box of bits for my 2.0L Pinto. Anyone know what it is and what I am supposed to do with it?

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

Roland

posted on 17/5/03 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Is it the crankcase emmision oil seperator ? Fits on the engine. I seem to have the same on my xflow.

Do I win a prize??

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 17/5/03 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a crankcase breather to me, my 2.0i doesn't have one, but crossflows I used to work on in the olden days used to have one very similar. I think it sticks in the N/S of the block and a hose runs upto the carb(?)
paulbeyer

posted on 17/5/03 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roland
Is it the crankcase emmision oil seperator ? Fits on the engine. I seem to have the same on my xflow.

Do I win a prize??

Roland, I'll spray it gold and send it to you if you want.

Mark, I took a look at my engine and there is a hole in the block that this will fit in. How does it work? It seems to be an empty box that lets air / fumes flow in either direction. If that is the case why not cut out the middle man and fit a pipe directly between the hole in the block and the inlet manifold?
What's the best thing to do with the hole in the block?

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

jollygreengiant

posted on 17/5/03 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
If you fit a pipe direct to the manifold from the hole then the induction system will very quickly empty your engine of oil and burn it as oil mist as it is thrown up from the crank thrashing about. It is there to give the oil a chance to settle out and drain back into the sump.

Enjoy.

[Edited on 17/5/03 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Mark Allanson

posted on 17/5/03 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
JGG beat me to it, if Uncle Henry put it there it is for a reason, Ford dont spend 1p more than necessary when building the cars so without it you may get emission problems.

Mark

paulbeyer

posted on 18/5/03 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, makes sense when you think about it. Is it supposed to be some sort of valve 'cos mine appers to be an empty pot that lets air flow in either direction. I know because I put the shite covered object to my lips and ended up amusing the family when I walked into the house.

[Edited on 18/5/2003 by paulbeyer]

chrisg

posted on 18/5/03 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
isn't the valve in the bit of pipe that sticks in the top, or am I talking b*ll*cks again?

Cheers

Chris

I'll have a look tomorrow

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Alan B

posted on 18/5/03 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, even with my memory that does sound familiar....a plastic thingy that's in the end of the pipe that then fits in the grommet in the separator....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulbeyer

posted on 19/5/03 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Oh dear I don't seem to have one of them, bugger.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.