Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help/adivce/man down
DIY Si

posted on 22/9/06 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Help/adivce/man down

Right, basically I'm getting married tomorrow, and being the well organised person I am, I've not really thought much about my speech yet! Anyone got any hints/tips/advice? Other than run for hills!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Guinness

posted on 22/9/06 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
LOL, classic!

Basically, and I could be wrong here but, it's the best mans job to be funny / cruel etc. Your speech should be functional!?

Ideally it should include some reference to the following:-

Thanks first to my beautiful wife, thanks to everyone for coming, esp those who've travelled etc etc. Thanks for parents help organising etc, thanks to Aunt for making the cake, bridesmaids for entertaining your mates etc.

Have fun anyway!

I'm two years in now!

Cheers

Mike

DIY Si

posted on 22/9/06 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
That's pretty much what I was planning on doing. Real off a list of thank you's shout "Drink" in a Father Jack stylee and sit down!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Humbug

posted on 22/9/06 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
That's pretty much what I was planning on doing. Real off a list of thank you's shout "Drink" in a Father Jack stylee and sit down!

...probably best NOT to follow that with "Feck", "Arse" and "Girls"

Have good day

Fozzie

posted on 22/9/06 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Congratulations Si!

I think Mike (Guinness) is pretty spot on there! , and Humbugs advice of leaving out the rest of Father Jacks repetoire is again spot on!
Have a wonderful day....

ATB Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

DarrenW

posted on 22/9/06 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
grooms speech is nowt to worry about. Just needs to be suitably mushy and arse licky.

There is a protocol for who thanks who. I think the groom is supposed to thank the bridesmaids and possibly his new outlaws. TBH its a modern world these days so traditional protocol is just a guide. Its only the oldies that will notice if you miss someone off.

Does the groom have to propose a toast?

Possibly make a comment regarding all of the lovely gifts and money presents, and that the money will be put to good use setting up new home together - ie TV and broadband in the garage and some new alloys

DIY Si

posted on 22/9/06 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

the money will be put to good use setting up new home together - ie TV and broadband in the garage and some new alloys

I tried to get some car related things/engine parts on the pressy list, but got told off!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

iank

posted on 22/9/06 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
How about kicking off with "FORNICATION….Sorry …FOR AN OCCASION such as this I would like to thank you all for coming...."

Depends on the wife/outlaw/inlaws current state of mind

Guinness

posted on 22/9/06 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I, sorry we, got a fuel tank, set of refurbished calipers, new discs, pads, rear drum cylinders, drums, steering wheel and some china / glasses for our wedding!

Although to be honest Yvonne does get a bit annoyed when I use the Denby Serving Dish to change the oil on the car!

Cheers

Mike

smart51

posted on 22/9/06 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
It's traditional to say how beautiful the bride's maids are (even if one is your sister). If you can think of a mushy story so much the better. Be perpared for your face to ache after all the photos.
mike smith1

posted on 22/9/06 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Best one i've heard is short and sweet,

Thankyou all for coming! Now lets get pi**ed!

Sure gets a reaction!

Mike

[Edited on 22/9/06 by mike smith1]

StevieB

posted on 22/9/06 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Forstly, don't be nervous about anything about the whole day - if you proposed, it was your idea and you got yourself into this mess!

You start with something sentimental about your wife and say you love her (all the women go 'ahh' and the single ones start to cry because they don't have anyone to say such things about them)

'My wife and I would like to thank...'

Everyone will smile because it's the first time you've been able to say that.

Thanks to Bridesmaids (and how beautiful they look - not too much though, because you're married now!),

Groomsmen (call them beautiful if you want!).

Parents (arrange some bunches of flowers for the mothers at this point - fills 2 mins).

Best Man - show some appreciation for his help through the day (might warm his heart and he'll tone his speech down a bit!)

That's it - ead easy!

I took about 25 mins for mine - everyone assumed I'd be nervous, but I actually enjoy public speaking!

Above all, enjoy the day and remember as much as possible - you only get married 3 or 4 times in a lifetime!

DarrenW

posted on 22/9/06 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Stevie's set sounds spot on to me. About what i did. Some flowers for parents and bottle for th ebest man etc takes some time up.

Even if it is only 5 or 10 mins it will be a good one.

Best advice anyone ever gave me was to take your time, dont rush it, enjoy every moment. It is after all one of the last times you will ever get a word in when your wife and mother-in-law are in the same room

I enjoyed my wedding a lot. Great day. Only downer was it goes by so quick as you have so many people to talk to.

Lawnmower

posted on 22/9/06 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Good luck!

You'll not stop smiling all day! The photgraphers requests for smiles is academic!

My speech took about 2mins.

fesycresy

posted on 22/9/06 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Can't remember my speech, I was high on pain killers and a token amount of vodka.

I wrote a quad off the day before

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

DaveFJ

posted on 22/9/06 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
It's traditionally the Best Man's duty to toast the bridesmaids. Groom should thank his Best man and tell everyone how lucky he is to have a beautiful wife etc...

I made a crap speech just saying thanks at my first wedding and looked a total cock on the video. So next time round I wrote a proper speech and put some thought into it - end result was far better!

I researched the wedding date and found out that It was not only St George's day but also the day that Shakespeare was born AND died on.... gave me loads of material for a speech - even quoted the bard!

Anyway - good luck and congratulations

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Peteff

posted on 22/9/06 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I'd like to spank the bridesmaids, sorry, thank the bridesmaids

Thank the bride's parents for looking after her and not overfeeding her as well

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

r3nuf

posted on 22/9/06 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I started off with.....
"It took a long time to find someone so good looking, so intelligent, so fun loving......but eventually (insert wifes name) found me"

Seemed to go down well!! except with the new wife!

Cheers and good luck

Gary

Drive Fast....Brake Late....Take Chances

StevieB

posted on 22/9/06 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
I found the best way was to write bullet points rather than a full speech - then it sounds a lot more fluid and natural and not like a primary school assembly reading. I forgot my notes in the end and just winged it anyway!
Coose

posted on 22/9/06 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Pretend you have laryngitis?

Spin 'er off Well...

StevieB

posted on 22/9/06 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coose
Pretend you have laryngitis?

Lacks moral fibre!

Hellfire

posted on 22/9/06 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
I made a crap speech just saying thanks at my first wedding and looked a total cock on the video. So next time round I wrote a proper speech and put some thought into it - end result was far better!

Is that sufficient grounds for a divorce these days.................

DaveFJ

posted on 22/9/06 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
I wish - took me over 8 years to get out of that mess!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

BKLOCO

posted on 22/9/06 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
Have fun anyway!

I'm two years in now!

Cheers

Mike

I'm 2 years out and having much more fun.

Good luck anyway.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

Jasper

posted on 22/9/06 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck mate - as others have said, just write a list of everybody you need to thank, then say some googy crap about how you and the wife met and what a luck guy you are, blah blah blah - can't go wrong - just keep it short and don't try to be funny unless your naturally gifted in that area - leave all that to the Best Man.....
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.