Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Emissions still struggling
esn163

posted on 22/9/06 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Emissions still struggling

Hi

Spent afternoon trying to get emissions on 919 RRW blade within limits without success. Even with mixture screws fully in HCs still to high (think one carb may be leaking extra fuel in and causing HC to rise. Does this sound about right). On initial start up seemed fine but after 20-30 seconds HC rose to about 500PPM. Running std airbox without filter but no fish tank valves.

Any further thoughts.

Failing that how easy is it to change temporarily back to a 893 blade and what modifications are required. Also what does this mean for SVA requirements. Just another thought, having passed the speedo test with bike's speedo sensor would the speedo be tested again at the retest since we have already passed it with the 919 but the 893 doesnt have a sensor built in.

Thanks again

Ed & Simon

Indy Build Photos
** Build pages **
Photo Bucket Pics

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ecosse

posted on 22/9/06 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'll presume that you are not using one already, but why not bolt on a cat to get you through the emissions test?

Alex

esn163

posted on 22/9/06 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

should have added using Chris Darby's twin cat system at the moment which has dropped them a lot but still too high

Ed

Indy Build Photos
** Build pages **
Photo Bucket Pics

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul (Notts)

posted on 22/9/06 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
I am still a year away from SVA but at this rate I may still be on the road before you Ed.

Paul

ecosse

posted on 22/9/06 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by esn163
Hi

should have added using Chris Darby's twin cat system at the moment which has dropped them a lot but still too high

Ed

Ouch

Have you checked the float heights?
If they are too high it can cause it to run over rich.
Not sure what carbs you are using but generally the mixture screw is for air mixture and screwing out allows more air in.

Alex

westf27

posted on 22/9/06 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
When I had my SVA, my pinto engined car emissions passed.The CO was very weak causing High HC reading.Dont know if that helps.Apparently to due with incomplete burn.I hope this helps to diagnose your problem and apologise in advance if Im talking body bits

ChrisGamlin

posted on 22/9/06 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
919 / 893 engine is virtually a direct swap, the only difference really is the bore, its the same block and head etc, so uses the same mounts, exhaust etc, even the carbs.

The only thing on the 893 is the gearbox selection mechanism is reversed, so your gearchange direction will also reverse unless you make up new linkages etc, probably not something to worry about just for SVA. Also if you're using the bike speedo on the RRW that won't work on the 893 as there's no built-in speedo sender, although I believe a few have been able to get it working off a prop mounted magnet / pickup.

Apart from that I can't think of anything at all stopping a straight swap in / out

mac1

posted on 22/9/06 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Apart from that I can't think of anything at all stopping a straight swap in / out

The engine number perhaps,

ring me tomorrow Simon.

Mark

0114 2619633

[Edited on 22/9/06 by mac1]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 22/9/06 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark

I was assuming he puts it in prior to SVA, registers it with the 893 then changes the engine over afterwards with a corresponding engine number change on the V5, nowt wrong with that

watsonpj

posted on 22/9/06 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Emissions

The only other way is to have a active emissions system. i lent mine to Amalyos for his SVA and he got a good pass on emissions see here
LINK

this works by using a lamda in the exhaust and then has a control box that controls values that bleed additional air into the inlets (after carbs) as required. You set the car up a bit to rich and the electronics sorts the rest out.

However to fit its
1. make hole in exhaust and weld in nut for lambda
2. Fit electonics.
3. Replace each rubber carb inlet with modified versions.
4. Mount valves and contol box.
5. Wire it all up.

so basically its probably easier to put the other engine in, but I think this the only other option and you can pass with this as my fireblable did.

Pete

amalyos

posted on 23/9/06 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
The active system definately worked well, and wasn't difficult to fit on the R1.
Thanks again Pete, I'll call you tomorrow and drop the kit off if your in.

Steve.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.