Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Indicators dimming side and tail lights, why?
kurt

posted on 2/10/06 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Indicators dimming side and tail lights, why?

Does anyone know how to solve this? I've individually earthed every light on my R1 Indy but still the indicators are dimming my lights. Short of connecting individual earths for each earthed item how do I fix this? I have used the R1 loom and connected everthing the same as the bike and extended wires to lights etc. I Know it's an earth problem but how do I isolate it?
theconrodkid

posted on 2/10/06 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
checked battery/chassis earth?
have you got an ohms meter?
check for volt drop

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Danozeman

posted on 2/10/06 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Are they dimming the whole lot or just the rears?? Try a seperate earth on the rear sidelights.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Boost69

posted on 2/10/06 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Are both sides doing it? If so you have a common earth problem i.e battery/chassis earth or engine/chassis earth. If only one side is dimming you have an earth problem with that side light unit or units.

Make sure you have good earth connections. I know most of us don't like doing it but scrap any paint off so the earth connection has a good mechanical bond with the metal/chassis/unit

Boost.

ReMan

posted on 2/10/06 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using sierra switchgear?
What loom?
What about hazards, they ok?

RazMan

posted on 2/10/06 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Are the headlights or instruments dimming too? - could be a bad stalk switch. Check the interconnecting earth between the stalks too.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kurt

posted on 3/10/06 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using Sierra switch gear and a Sierra flasher relay. I thought this may be the problem as the R1 flasher does not have an earth whereas the Sierra one does and seems to pulse through the earth according to the switch diagram. This is now earthed directly to the chassis, as are all of the lights, but still the sidelights dim on both sides. I've checked the resistance through all of the earth connections to the chassis and back to the battery, none are over 3 ohms. So now I've no ideas left. I need this for the SVA which I've had one full test and two retests, so this will be my third retest and my 6 months is up on Wed. 11th Oct. so I'm running out of time. Any ideas much appreciated.

Cheers, Kurt

ReMan

posted on 3/10/06 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Is your loom home made or is it a bike loom? Do ou have a diagram?
At the end of the day there should not be any connection (literally) between the indicators and the side lights...
I don't have acess to Sierra switch wiring at the moment, but there are some peculiarities in it which you have to be careful of..
Are a single lamp unit at the rear of the car with onme earth point because if you have a seperate indicatorlamp to stop/tail, that should not be an issue either..
Any more clues........?

Guinness

posted on 3/10/06 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Kurt

What battery are you using? Bike or car? If a bike one, why not swap to a massive car one for the test? Voltage drop should be negligable with a whopper of a battery? I could pop round at the weekend if you want to try another set of eyes, voltmeter , battery on it?

Which rear lights are you using? Could we try lower wattage lamps (assuming you can get the relay to work correctly)?

Thinking an LED lamp in the side repeater and different front indicators?

Give me a ring if you want.

Mike

Guinness

posted on 3/10/06 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried a different electronic relay, rather than the hot wire sierra one?

http://www.rthursby.co.uk/acatalog/R_Thursby__Flasher_Units_36.html

0-606-00
12 volt, 2/4 x 21 + 5 watt hazard/ flasher unit. Electronic unit replacing hot wire type without earth.

Price: £7.33

Also e-marked led side repeaters.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/E-Marked-LED-Universal-Side-Repeaters-NO-RES_W0QQitemZ170033477486QQihZ007QQcategoryZ14763QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mike

tks

posted on 6/10/06 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
3ohms!!!

3Ohms is way to much!!

earthing should be 0 ohms...

If you have got 3ohms you can only putt 4amps thrue the line!!

2 Indicators are already 4amps!

sow thats the reason it doesn“t work..

is the flashet getting hot??

then it provides the earthing for all the bulbs and you measure the resistance thru that device.

Take your conclusions out of this..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

stevebubs

posted on 6/10/06 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kurt
I've checked the resistance through all of the earth connections to the chassis and back to the battery, none are over 3 ohms.

They should all be zero. Methinks you need to be doing some work on your earth wires....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.