Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bent Clutch Lever??
ChrisGamlin

posted on 7/10/06 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Bent Clutch Lever??

THE SERVER SEEMS TO HAVE GONE MAD, THIS IS A REPLY TO CHRIS'S POST, NOT THE START OF THE THREAD!

Hi Chris

There is about 90 degrees of "slack" on the clutch lever that you can easily move by hand as you're just pushing against the spring, once it goes solis thats where the clutch lever actually starts actuating against the clutch, and this you won't move by hand. I suspect its just this bit you're seeing here?

[Edited on 7/10/06 by ChrisGamlin]

chrisf

posted on 7/10/06 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Bent Clutch Lever??

I'm at a traffic light today and stall the car. It felt like the clutch cable let go. Luckily a cop helped me push it into a gas station. Turns out, the clutch cable did stretch a bit, but did not break.

What's concerning though, is that the clutch lever is easily moved to the normal resting position (9:00 if looking at the engine from the diver's side). However, the clutch arm cannot move to the 11:00 position to release the clutch. Does this mean the clutch lever is bent?

I'm having it towed home, right now. When it gets home, do I just drain the oil and remove the clutch cover? What should I be looking for?

--Thanks, CHris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 7/10/06 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
i have a lot of trouble with my clutch and cable.

Myself id try reconnecting the cable correctly, as ive had it pull through enough to stop it releasing the clutch - had to drive home clutchless up and down the box!

when you say the lever cannot go to the 11 oclock position, how are you moving it? Because it would be very difficult to do by hand. Tried a lever?

ChrisGamlin

posted on 7/10/06 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
What the hell has happened there, it thinks Ive posted the reply 15 mins before you posted the question! LOL

Jon Ison

posted on 7/10/06 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
What the hell has happened there, it thinks Ive posted the reply 15 mins before you posted the question! LOL

Chris, I dont know what the problem is yet but can you sort it ?

JoelP

posted on 7/10/06 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
how bizarre, looks like a clock error and one seriously bogged down server!
ChrisGamlin

posted on 7/10/06 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'll email ChrisW and see if he's aware of it. Even more strangely is that it seems to partially think I created the thread as when I went back in to edit my original reply, it asked for a topic, and when I jus put in a full stop, it renamed the entire thread "." LOL

chrisf

posted on 7/10/06 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Gents thanks for all the help. Thanks for the post Chris!

The car arrived home safely on a flat bed tow truck. This was pretty concerning because you can imagine what tow truck operators are like in Texas. But the guy was cool and let me actually chain it down the way I wanted...

The concerning part about the clutch lever is that I seem to remember being able to press the lever with my hand and at least feeling a springing sensation. Right now, it's like pressing it against a wall. I really hope you guys are right and that it isn't anything more serious (you'll hear about it if it is).

I'm finally throwing the towel in on the mountain bike cable--stupid idea anyway. On Monday, I'll order a true motorcycle cable for a big V-twin clutch. That should do the trick.

--Thanks, Chris

PS for some reason removing the clutch cover scares me

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 7/10/06 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
dont be scared, i did it for the first time a few months ago and it really is childs play. Bike engines are so compact it doesnt even feel like mechanics
chrisf

posted on 7/10/06 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, definately not releasing. I tried leverage and it still did not work. Any ideas?

--Chris

ChrisGamlin

posted on 8/10/06 at 01:26 AM Reply With Quote
It could be bent then, or it could be the lever isnt properly engaging with the clutch release pin in the centre of the clutch. Ive only had this before when putting the clutch cover back on before fully clamping it up, but it could happen especially if the clutch cover bolts weren't as tight as they should be.

Nothing to be scared of behind the cover, nothing (apart from oil) will fall out! Just pop the cover off, check that the lever arm is indeed straight, then bolt back on paying attention to the way it engages with the clutch. You might need a clutch cover gasket to fit it back on though.

chrisf

posted on 9/10/06 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all:

Ok, my daughter and I tore into the clutch today. Seems it was a two person job--for me anyway. I followed the manual and everything works out OK. I did not remove the staked bolt, nor the clutch basket itself.

To be honest, everything looked like it should. The frictions seemed to have life still (about .035" or so) and none of the metal plates were blued much. There didn't seem to be any warping at all either.

I initially thought the lever was not working properly but then I realized that the lever moves the clutch plates AWAY from the engine--so it seems fine. I cannot imagine why it would feel jammed. The only thing I can think is that the lever overturned and jammed the lifter piece so that the clutch could not be disengaged. My thought is that perhaps I could have fixed it by simply putting the car in gear and pulling it backwards a bit to lossen the lever. Who knows? Any ideas? Should I just reassemble it and have another go?

I took some pictures and put them in my archive, in case it helps.

Clutch disks

Shift lever

clutch lever close

Clutch lever and lifter piece

Also, depending on the suggestions here, I likely won't reassemble everything until tomorrow. Shopuld I leave the frictions soaking in a bit of oil?

--Thanks, Chris

ChrisGamlin

posted on 9/10/06 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
All looks OK to me, if you're putting in new friction plates then soak them in oil, but existing ones won't dry out overnight so I wouldnt worry if those are just going back in.

Like you say, occasionally the lever and the lifter piece get out of alignment so locking up the mechanism, my guess is that when you bolt it all back together it will be OK. Don't bother testing the clutch until the cover is properly tight though, as when its slightly loose still, it often doesnt engage properly.

BTW, you are using a proper gasket aren't you, not instant gasket?

Chris

chrisf

posted on 10/10/06 at 02:34 AM Reply With Quote
Not good. I decided to reassemble everything. When tightening the springs to PFT specs (the manual didn't list any real torque specs), I managed to break one of Honda's lovely bolts...deep in the clutch basket. Aside from the obvious reasons, theis is pretty f cking frustrating because this is the second crap Honda bolt that has broken for me. What's up with using porr hardware.

Anyway, any suggestions on how to remove the clutch basket? It looks like I just take a huge metric socket to the staked bolt and have a turn. When I do this, do I put the car in gear and pull the handbrake? The manual suggests of special tool.

And the task started off so well

--Chris

PS Do I just buy a 10.9 bolt to replace the crap Honda bolt that broke?

[Edited on 10/10/06 by chrisf]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.