New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rover gti engine
bass

posted on 10/5/02 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
rover gti engine

can anybody tell me how i can fit a rover gti dohc 1600 in my locost
Metal Hippy™

posted on 10/5/02 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Is that the 1600 Honda engine out of the Rover 200?

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

Dunc

posted on 10/5/02 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Is it the K series your fitting? If it is you should give QED a call on 01509 412317, they might be able to give you adviceon a suitable RWD gearbox and any mods to the block or adapter plate you may need to get it to mate. The rest would be to make the brackets for your chassis. Sorted.
bob

posted on 11/5/02 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Dont HONDA engines run anti-clock.

I've only just learnt this from my visit to stoneleigh.

Would this mean flipping the diff over.

bass

posted on 11/5/02 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
yes its the interara D16A2 engine and it is anti. dont think turning diff over is a good idea. has it been done?
Roadkill

posted on 11/5/02 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Just to back up, yes Honda engines (dunno if all, but definitely the 1.6 fitted to the Rover) turn the opposite way to other engines. There has been discussion of whether the diff could be "flipped" but the overall oppinion was that it's a bad idea
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 12/5/02 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
flippin the diff is supposed to be bad cos all the loads on the helical cut gears go the wrong way and something will shag.

Also, if you consider using the rover 1.4 they are supposed to be crap when the age, giving head problems. There was stuff on 't other list' from a guy that dealt in the K series saying avoid em.

I told this to a guy at work with an L plater, and within 3 weeks he had a head failure that cost 450 to put right. Dont think it was me saying anything that caused it tho....

I was suprised how few cars had the 'k' in on stands at stoneleigh. The Zetec seemed well used.....

James Hughes

posted on 14/5/02 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
The 1600 Honda engine on the other hand is great - my Rover 216 DOHC has 125K miles on it, still revs to 7k and goes like a rocket with 130BHP. Just keep changing the oil.

Pity it rotates the wrong way.

James

stephen_gusterson

posted on 14/5/02 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The 1600 Honda engine on the other hand is great - my Rover 216 DOHC has 125K miles on it, still revs to 7k and goes like a rocket with 130BHP. Just keep changing the oil.

Pity it rotates the wrong way.

James

Welcome james! Nice to see you here!

There is also that Honda civic engine from a bout 5 years back fitted to the sporty model - 1600cc and 150-160hp with no turbo, just VVC cam, AND it revs to 8k!!!!!

Nicest engine I had of late (apart from my jag V12 - creeps up to 6,500 - really likes 5,500) was my Mazda 323 zxi. Look up on google pics if you dont know what that is. 150hp from a 2 litre SMOOTH V6 motor. Revs to 7.2k until it hits the stop screaming for more. Ohh err.

ATB

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.